Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice needed.. banks, wireless and mobiles

Advice needed.. banks, wireless and mobiles

Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

rachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nice
Default Advice needed.. banks, wireless and mobiles

Hi all, I have just booked my flight to NYC, going on 28th on my CR1!! Now its all definite I am realising there are some practical issues I need to address...

1) I need a bank account which won't charge me evrytime I withdraw cash in USA, I currently have a RBS Graduate account. I hear the Nationwide do an 'international' type account. Any ideas?
2) I will take my laptop (Dell Inspiron) and will need internet asap for jobs etc. when I get to USA. I use a Dongle by 3 network in UK which is pay as you go. Are there a similar product I could order in advance on uSA ebay or something?
3) I need to get a cheap mobile to use in USA for UK and USA calls and texts, ideally PAYG to start. I will be based in Waterbury, CT but will be visiting NYC too. Any ideas??
4) I have contacted a school for a 5 year old daughter, who say they need a physical exam before she an enrol, her UK GP won't do it, and BUPA won't either, I have no idea who will in UK or what it will entail. Neither my husband or myself have jobs as of yet, can you purchase medical insurance you can pay for monthly before our jobs kick in??
Thanks so much!
Rachael
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed.. banks, wireless and mobiles

Barclays have ties with Bank of America

RBS, not for long, but have ties with Citizens

HSBC has branches here in certain locations

2- wifi is your best bet, free every where, McD's, Starbucks, Libraries, hotels etc...

Verizon offer a 3G dongle, don't know about PAYG though, not as popular here.

3 - Personally, Tracfone, it works a treat and pretty cheap and works in CT well, but ATT/T-Mobile etc all have PAYG phones, international calls might not be great, but tracfone has them at regular rates to a land line and same for text, can't speak for the others as I don't know.

4) yes, but expect it to be through the roof - http://www.einsurance.com/ for possibilities.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Mobile > I use a company called Net10. Their phones are available from most retailers. I find them to be pretty good.

Banks > IMO the best bank in the country is USAA. Assuming you have no US military connection you will only be eligable for certain products - their checking accounts and service are first class! They refund ATM fees upto $15 per month. Also assuming internet / phone banking works for you.

Health Insurance > call Blue cross blue shield, they offer a temporary policy for up to 6 months. Does not cover existing conditions and no medical needed. It does cover new illnesses and emergency medical costs. We brought one to get us started and for a family of 5 and it cost $280 per month.

Last edited by cranston; Feb 17th 2010 at 1:27 am.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the Tracfone. That's what I have, and it's about the least expensive way to go. There's no plan, you just buy time cards. If you get the "deluxe" version, it's about $25, and should include double lifetime minutes. You buy a 60 minute card for $20, and get 120 minutes. There are thousands of WiFi locations. At home, I use Verizon, with the 5GB/mo plan, and that's $60/mo.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:11 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

In respect of schools, many seem to need the physical.

Additionally (in PA anyway) the schools require Hepatitis B cover, which isn't standard in the UK, so be prepared for the little 'un to have that if not already sorted out.

Welcome to the health / schools combo double-whammy nightmare
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

rachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nice

Thanks for that advice. The school says we have to have the immunisations before she can be enrolled so it is just finding out which immunisations she needs now!
Been to HSBC and their only option is to open an account for £12.95 a month. I may aswell just keep my RBS account and wait until I'm over there to open a US account...
Old Feb 17th 2010, 5:08 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachococo
Thanks for that advice. The school says we have to have the immunisations before she can be enrolled so it is just finding out which immunisations she needs now!
If she needs the Hep B jabs be warned it is 2 (or possibly 3) jabs with minimum specified time between them, so it may take time (2-3 months) to complete the course. We simply provided a letter to the school stating that the course of injections had begun and we intended to see them through, and....disclaimer/caveat/waiver/etc.

And you may have thought of this already but just in case...

We arrived here in 2008 with a 5-year old and had to take great care over the level she entered school. Depending exactly how old "5" is in her case she may be better off going into 1st grade rather than Kindergarten. The school systems here tend to run a year behind the UK and she may face the equivalent of repeating a year.

Been to HSBC and their only option is to open an account for £12.95 a month. I may aswell just keep my RBS account and wait until I'm over there to open a US account...
Good. Whatever else you may do, do keep the RBS account open.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again, she will be 6 in April, I am a bit worried about the difference in education systems and also that we are only temporarily staying with the in laws in CT when we arrive so will be moving again in the summer...another upheaval... Comes with the territory I guess! I am going to make immunisation enquiries tomorrow!
Thanks!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hers info on vax requirements for NYC schools.
Some states you can sign off and not have any more done for school, we had to for K for Ds as he'd had his jabs in UK for school and was one short here, it only camr in a 3 in one so we couldn't get it, they had us sign off and never bothered us again.
Make sure to bring her record of vaccinations with you.
We all have tracfones here, and no problems we can text/call UK no problem and we do a lot.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Thanks so much, I'll check out the website.
What are the prices like for tracfones???
Thanks
Rachael
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:27 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much, I'll check out the website.
What are the prices like for tracfones???
Thanks
Rachael
Tracfone has a web-site with prices. Do note that the "minutes" in the US are different than the UK. In the US, land lines and mobile phones share the same set of area codes and phone numbers -- e.g. a number does not reveal whether it is mobile or not. So, no charges are imposed on the person calling a mobile. However, this then means that the mobile owner pays for minutes of "air time" -- incoming and outgoing.