Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice needed.

Advice needed.

Old Sep 30th 2018, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

MidwifeMatilda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed.

So I am looking at buying a 2 bed apartment in Florida. With no mortgage.

I will only be staying less than 90 days at a time so won't need anything other than a standard visa under the Visa waiver programme? As I would be staying as an extended holiday approximately 3 times a year?

My question is how do i go about calculating running costs?
Council tax, broadband, water rates ect.

I honestly have no one to ask and NO idea where to even start trying to look. Google has just confused me even more!

Many thanks

Last edited by MidwifeMatilda; Sep 30th 2018 at 3:22 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed.

I would pick area of interest then contact a local realestate agency. You can look online at the agency and they usually have photos of individual agents. I would pick an agent and contact them. They can provide a lot of information and if you end up buying their fee comes from seller as the selling agent will split the fee paid by seller with the listing agent. This agent should represent your interests especially if the property purchased is listed by another agency and not the one your selected agent works for.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I would pick area of interest then contact a local realestate agency. You can look online at the agency and they usually have photos of individual agents. I would pick an agent and contact them. They can provide a lot of information and if you end up buying their fee comes from seller as the selling agent will split the fee paid by seller with the listing agent. This agent should represent your interests especially if the property purchased is listed by another agency and not the one your selected agent works for.

Fantastic advice, thank you so much
Old Sep 30th 2018, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Something I would also consider is just renting an apartment. You could in an off the books informal basis let trusted friends and relatives stay there during your absence to help defray the costs. I would definitely do this the first year to give you plenty of time to get to know the area and if you do decide to buy you would be in a much more informed position to do so.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

That is so true.. I hadn't even considered this.
only so much Google can tell you about an area.

EVen driving round as part of the holiday doesn't give you the feel because your in hokiday mode so to speak.

Thank you
Old Sep 30th 2018, 6:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Also consider being that you will be here for at least 9 months out of a year, you will be liable to file a US tax return. And that is if the agent at the POE allows you in on the second or third trip as it would look like you are living in the US rather than just coming here as a visitor.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 7:06 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Also consider entry under the VWP is not guaranteed. The immigration officer will see a record of all your visits and there may well come a time when one will decide you are abusing the privilege of being a visitor and refuse you entry.

ETA: I posted this before I saw Rete’s reply, but nothing lost by reinforcing the point.

Last edited by lansbury; Sep 30th 2018 at 7:13 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 7:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Spending more than half the year in the US will create both tax and immigration problems.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Also consider being that you will be here for at least 9 months out of a year, you will be liable to file a US tax return. And that is if the agent at the POE allows you in on the second or third trip as it would look like you are living in the US rather than just coming here as a visitor.

6 week summer holidays. 2 weeks at Christmas 2 weeks at Easter.

Would that be classed as and abusing a visitors visa?
May have to re think and buy property in Europe in that case.

Not a risk I can take! Many thanks
Old Sep 30th 2018, 7:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why have you singled out Florida. What is wrong with a country closer to home, i.e. Portugal or Spain.

PS you did say in your original post that you would be staying for 90 days each of 3 times a year. Hence our discussion of taxes and issues at the POE. Why would you buy something that you are going to be leaving empty for nearly 9 months out of the year. The upkeep is tremendous, i.e. lawn care, air conditioning needing to be left on 24/7 in your absence, real estate taxes (is that the same as your council taxes?), retaining someone to visit the home periodically to see that it hasn't been vandalized and no pipes, etc. have broken.

Last edited by Rete; Sep 30th 2018 at 7:21 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 7:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

10 weeks a year shouldn’t cause you problems.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Why have you singled out Florida. What is wrong with a country closer to home, i.e. Portugal or Spain.

PS you did say in your original post that you would be staying for 90 days each of 3 times a year. Hence our discussion of taxes and issues at the POE. Why would you buy something that you are going to be leaving empty for nearly 9 months out of the year. The upkeep is tremendous, i.e. lawn care, air conditioning needing to be left on 24/7 in your absence, real estate taxes (is that the same as your council taxes?), retaining someone to visit the home periodically to see that it hasn't been vandalized and no pipes, etc. have broken.
Real estate and council taxes are pretty much the same, although some things may not be covered by real estate taxes that a British person may not realize (such as trash pick up in some areas).
Old Sep 30th 2018, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Floridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond repute

Be good to know what area of Florida you're considering before offering advice. I'm just passing 15 years of living here just west of Disney. Property taxes/council taxes vary tremendously as to sq ft and community and 'locals' qualify for a 25% homestead discount. If you are considering the usual British 6 week school holiday break just remember thats during Floridas very hot and sticky stormy season. Plenty of new housing construction going on and property prices are on the rise. If you can give some idea where you are considering I will offer more help/advice if needed. Good luck.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 9:46 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidwifeMatilda
So I am looking at buying a 2 bed apartment in Florida. With no mortgage.

I will only be staying less than 90 days at a time so won't need anything other than a standard visa under the Visa waiver programme? As I would be staying as an extended holiday approximately 3 times a year?

My question is how do i go about calculating running costs?
Council tax, broadband, water rates ect.

I honestly have no one to ask and NO idea where to even start trying to look. Google has just confused me even more!

Many thanks
You should ascertain if the apartment is part of a condo or co-op -- or, indeed, any kind of homeowners' complex -- and ask about monthly common or maintenance charges.
Old Oct 1st 2018, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Some people have a real downer on Florida, personally, I love it (moved to Georgia, close enough).

Council Tax = Property Tax, depends on location, size of house etc.

Water, Gas & Electric (he latter will be much higher because of the A/C)

You'll probably have to pay for a weekly waste collection - not in the Property Tax generally speaking

This is just a "I think" moment, but some locations are picky on potential buyers, insisting on the home not being left unoccupied. Be sure to check, and probably, as other advise, use a local Real Estate Agent. Might also be worth considering employing a local property manager to maintain the property, especially if consider renting it out (had friends do that in Lake Davenport). Worked out fine for them for many years, until the pool began to leak - keep those type of long term costs in mind, even if not taking on a mortgage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.