Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice needed.

Advice needed.

Old Oct 4th 2018, 12:26 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed.

Air BnB or VRBO would get a better choice if you want somewhere to spend your holidays that is more like a home than a hotel. It’s an awful lot to spend for just 10
weeks a year. All that maintenance whilst it’s empty. You still have to pay the utilities even if you’re not there (internet, TV, water, sewage, gas, rubbish collection). They don’t care that you weren’t there to watch the TV or flush the loo - there’s still the standing charge to pay. Some HOAs (home owner associations) don’t like properties to be empty and some have rules such as how long your grass can grow before it has to be cut so you may even need to pay a gardener to go round every so often to keep it looking shipshape. I’m not sure what the insurance would be on a home that’s largely unoccupied - likely to be more than one that is occupied.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Property taxes alone could possibly be as much as 2 months rent on a VRBO property. If you are planning on renting out the property that is a different story, but you would then need to file US taxes.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

My family have owned a condo in Florida for 20 years so can offer some advise.
In truth it is expensive and l know that my Dad has often regretted buying it, especially when values rocketed just before the crash but then so did his property taxes! That said, we all love it and it remains iur families favorite place to be.
I wouldn’t say that now is a great time to buy as the exchange rate is very poor and there is nothing to suggest there will be any meaningful recovery in the immediate future.
A couple of things to be aware of, if you do want to sell in the future, it is a lot more costly in the US then selling in the IK. Also if you are looking to rent out to holiday makers, check that any condos you are looking at allow it, some places have a minimum of 3 month rentals.
Where are you thinking?
Old Oct 4th 2018, 4:29 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Air BnB or VRBO would get a better choice if you want somewhere to spend your holidays that is more like a home than a hotel. It’s an awful lot to spend for just 10
weeks a year. All that maintenance whilst it’s empty. You still have to pay the utilities even if you’re not there (internet, TV, water, sewage, gas, rubbish collection). They don’t care that you weren’t there to watch the TV or flush the loo - there’s still the standing charge to pay. Some HOAs (home owner associations) don’t like properties to be empty and some have rules such as how long your grass can grow before it has to be cut so you may even need to pay a gardener to go round every so often to keep it looking shipshape. I’m not sure what the insurance would be on a home that’s largely unoccupied - likely to be more than one that is occupied.
If it anything like New York or Mississippi, you get your cable with internet installed and when you will be away you notify them of the dates and service is shut off until you have told them you are returning. There is no charge for that. I used it many times over the last 7 years when I was traveling between homes.