Reload this Page >

Advice moving to Boston MA.

Advice moving to Boston MA.

Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:45 am
Just Joined

frugalista is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice moving to Boston MA.

Originally Posted by Elvira
Did anyone mention the fact that, in order to buy a car, you need insurance (which will cost an arm and a leg because you have no US record), and to get insurance you'll need to get a US driver's licence, and to get the latter you need a SSN and proof of legal status, which sometimes takes a while to sort out...
I relocated to Boston, MA from the UK in 2004.

My experience was as follows:

- You CAN count up to 6 years of driving in the UK towards the SDIP (safe driver insurance plan) and thereby reduce your insurance premiums quite a bit.
- However, auto insurance in MA is very expensive compared to the rest of the US. Rates are set by the state government according to a formula based on car, coverage, years of driving experience. The rate also varies quite widely according to which city you live in within MA (i.e. from one locality to the next).
- You can get insured with just a UK license.
- However you should get a US license ASAP. Don't worry, the test is conducted by a state trooper and is usually ridiculously easy.

frugalista
Old Jun 12th 2006, 7:58 am
Just Joined

frugalista is an unknown quantity at this point

To add my $0.02 to the Boston suburbs flamewar, I've been living in Cambridge for the past two years and it's been great. There are some very nice apartments and there is a lot going on. I am a walk away from theatre cinemas restaurants and bars.

It is quite pricey I suppose (I pay $1600 pcm for our rental), but I'd moved here from central London so nothing was a shock!

frugalista
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frugalista
- However you should get a US license ASAP. Don't worry, the test is conducted by a state trooper and is usually ridiculously easy.
scaring thing I noticed was learner drivers having a lesson on the interstate