Advice moving to Boston MA.

Advice moving to Boston MA.

Old May 28th 2006, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

pigtales is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice moving to Boston MA.

Originally Posted by gmdale
Hi,

I'm moving to boston with the wife and son in tow in July / August depending on how quickly we can find and place and sort things UK side.

It will be a two year ex-pat deal with the company i work for, and they'll help with rent etc.. but looking on the net, I'm having a little difficulty finding any kind of rental people for houses.

we're looking to get a 3 bed house if pos out toward / around Burlington.

Does anyone have any recommended real estate people in this area?

Any advice on exactly how things work state-side in terms of renting a place?

Also with cars, we going to buy a car when we arrive. I understand insurance works similarly to the UK, how about tax? do they need some kind of MOT's?

Final one - how do kindergartens / nursery's work there? What age do / can they start at. mini-me is 2 and half years old. Is there any web site to search for local school / nursery you'd recommend?

All help much appreciated!!
You are probably better to move to the North Shore. The nearer you get to Boston the more expensive it becomes. Or you could move near the 495 going along route 3. You can get 2 bedroom apartments for 1300 dollars the more north you go with swimming pool, gym and club houses. The more north you go the nicer the beach is. A place like Danvers, Salem, Manchester by the sea is on 30-45 minutes from Burlington. If you go near Boston you will be driving in traffic every day. The Burlington mall is good.
Two years is quite short to buy a house and the real estate agents will rip you off if you are not careful. You really need to take a class in it before you do it so that your eyes are wide open to the 'money hungry sellers and buyers'! It is harder than buying in the UK.
Where about in England are you from?
Old May 28th 2006, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

gmdale is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blaze
Hi there and welcome to the site
I can't help with all your questions but I do know that kindergarten starts at 5 yrs old. There are some pre-k programs for children 3-5 yrs but I don't know if these are readily available in every state. My child is also 2 1/2 yrs old. You generally find that you will need a daycare (or homecare e.t.c) until they are old enough for school programs
Good luck (and welcome to the USA in advance!)
Brill ! Thank you very much ! Building up a picture rapidly.

Do you normally pay for the pre-K programs?
Old May 28th 2006, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pigtales
You are probably better to move to the North Shore. The nearer you get to Boston the more expensive it becomes. Or you could move near the 495 going along route 3. You can get 2 bedroom apartments for 1300 dollars the more north you go with swimming pool, gym and club houses. The more north you go the nicer the beach is. A place like Danvers, Salem, Manchester by the sea is on 30-45 minutes from Burlington. If you go near Boston you will be driving in traffic every day. The Burlington mall is good.
Two years is quite short to buy a house and the real estate agents will rip you off if you are not careful. You really need to take a class in it before you do it so that your eyes are wide open to the 'money hungry sellers and buyers'! It is harder than buying in the UK.
Where about in England are you from?
Many thanks for the info!
Our office is in Burlington, so a half hour radius from there is where we're looking. We're going to keep a place in the UK since the 2 years is such a short time and therefore just rent a place whilst we're there. The company I work for gives an allowance for this under the deal.

The purchase side of things sounds like a real pit, is it the same when renting?

We'll be moving from london so traffic and parking will feel home from home.
Old May 28th 2006, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by andy620
Insurance - You can get insurance based on your UK record as long as you have your copies of your UK insurance record. Also in Mass, Vehicle Insurance is fixed by the state so it doesn't pay to shop around. It's also bloomin expensive.

Licence - Your insurance company will not re-issue you a policy on your second year unless you get a Mass drivers licence which unless your German!! you will have to take the test which is two part, theory and practical. A state trooper will accompany you for a short drive up the Interstate.
Ok - had heard about the the 1 year license thing. Is a no claims bonus letter enough? or is there something specific we should ensure we have?
Old May 28th 2006, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough

Hi - we've lived a few exits down the I-95 in Weston for the past 11 years. I think you'll find a rental easily at this time of year (not at all true in the depths of winter!). Individual towns vary in cost enormously, mostly because of the reputation of the town's school district. You shouldn't have that worry with a pre-schooler, though, as you don't have to live in the town to attend one of it's pre-schools. I'd opt to live near to work to maximize family time. If you've lived in London you won't be fazed by the traffic at all! I regularly drive into Boston.

Maybe look at some of the large apartment/town house complexes around Bedford or Winchester or even Acton where they'll have a pool (a must in our muggy summers). Further out is pretty but you might feel isolated in the winter. Can't help much about cars - probably leasing is your best option - the license is needed after a year but is no big deal, just a formality.

I'd be happy to help in any way I can - let me know and good luck!

Jan
Old May 28th 2006, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by janj
Hi - we've lived a few exits down the I-95 in Weston for the past 11 years. I think you'll find a rental easily at this time of year (not at all true in the depths of winter!). Individual towns vary in cost enormously, mostly because of the reputation of the town's school district. You shouldn't have that worry with a pre-schooler, though, as you don't have to live in the town to attend one of it's pre-schools. I'd opt to live near to work to maximize family time. If you've lived in London you won't be fazed by the traffic at all! I regularly drive into Boston.

Maybe look at some of the large apartment/town house complexes around Bedford or Winchester or even Acton where they'll have a pool (a must in our muggy summers). Further out is pretty but you might feel isolated in the winter. Can't help much about cars - probably leasing is your best option - the license is needed after a year but is no big deal, just a formality.

I'd be happy to help in any way I can - let me know and good luck!

Jan
Jan thanks for your response, that is really helpful and encouraging.
We have seen those complex's but didn't know if they'd be a good bet over a normal house / flat etc..?

thanks again.
Glenn
Old May 29th 2006, 12:10 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Brill ! Thank you very much ! Building up a picture rapidly.

I have to say that I'm not sure on whether a pre-k program costs or not. My child has down syndrome so his schooling is free. At present he attends a brilliant daycare which has approx 500 children. They charge $177.00 per week for 28 hours and up. If they attend for less hours than that then they go to an hourly rate of $6.70. Again, these are New York prices. I know that Mass is pretty expensive but I can't think that daycare would be a whole lot more than that (as to me , that is quite expensive already! ).
Old May 29th 2006, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by blaze
I have to say that I'm not sure on whether a pre-k program costs or not. My child has down syndrome so his schooling is free. At present he attends a brilliant daycare which has approx 500 children. They charge $177.00 per week for 28 hours and up. If they attend for less hours than that then they go to an hourly rate of $6.70. Again, these are New York prices. I know that Mass is pretty expensive but I can't think that daycare would be a whole lot more than that (as to me , that is quite expensive already! ).
It will cost a lot in MA I'm afraid. I don't think there are any free programs, but there are 'co-op' type deals where the mum helps out on a rota - I'm a bit out of touch though as my kids are older.
Old May 29th 2006, 12:24 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

It will cost a lot in MA I'm afraid. I don't think there are any free programs, but there are 'co-op' type deals where the mum helps out on a rota - I'm a bit out of touch though as my kids are older.

Wow, I didn't think it could get much more expensive! Daycare can be a little cheaper here (not much though) if you go to a daycare that is run from someones home, I wouldn't do that though for many reasons.
Old May 29th 2006, 12:58 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Also with cars, we going to buy a car when we arrive. I understand insurance works similarly to the UK, how about tax? do they need some kind of MOT's?
If you can afford the lump sum go for a 24 month pre-paid lease. It is the way to get lowest "cost of ownership". The rates are about 2 points less than normal leasing.

Get the "Wearcare" insurance, or whatever your manufacturer calls theirs, instead of doing a security deposit. Then when you turn the car in, unless you have trashed it, you will have no surprise turn-in charges.

If you ever need Ford-specific information, including locating a specific car, please PM me.

Last edited by TRPardoe; May 29th 2006 at 12:59 am. Reason: Grammar
Old May 29th 2006, 2:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

you pay for it, and anything half decent wont' be cheap.
Old May 29th 2006, 2:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ok - had heard about the the 1 year license thing. Is a no claims bonus letter enough? or is there something specific we should ensure we have?
don't bother, it's a marketing ploy, they really don't look at your UK driving history, and if they say they do, it's a lie....the best you'll get is a slightly cheaper rate for not having a driving history if your over 25.
Old May 29th 2006, 2:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Weston....one of the W's that sounded possibly affordable...I'm looking into it myself as it ain't to far from Wayland....so what's the town like?

Framingham looks like a dive, but it does have the RMV...hmmm....Marlboro sounded nice...just basically looking for any town that's worth looking into that's a doddle to get to Wayland, perhaps with trains to Boston...not bothered by schools...and want to avoid a steaming dump like Lawrence *lol*
Old May 29th 2006, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Weston....one of the W's that sounded possibly affordable...I'm looking into it myself as it ain't to far from Wayland....so what's the town like?

Framingham looks like a dive, but it does have the RMV...hmmm....Marlboro sounded nice...just basically looking for any town that's worth looking into that's a doddle to get to Wayland, perhaps with trains to Boston...not bothered by schools...and want to avoid a steaming dump like Lawrence *lol*
Weston is very overpriced because of its schools. We moved here for the schools and will leave when our youngest finishes high school. Wayland is a little more affordable, or Sudbury or Acton maybe? Will you be working in Wayland?
Old May 29th 2006, 4:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Weston is very overpriced because of its schools. We moved here for the schools and will leave when our youngest finishes high school. Wayland is a little more affordable, or Sudbury or Acton maybe? Will you be working in Wayland?
okay, that's another town scratched off the list *lol*

Thought Wayland was a tad pricey for an apartment rental, so only had a quick look, but yeah, that's where the job is.

Sudbury is on my list of places to checkout, but not found much in apartment rentals so far...not tried Acton yet, so i'll give that a google, cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.