Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice moving to Boston MA.

Advice moving to Boston MA.

Old May 30th 2006, 8:07 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice moving to Boston MA.

Originally Posted by Bob
okay, that's another town scratched off the list *lol*

Thought Wayland was a tad pricey for an apartment rental, so only had a quick look, but yeah, that's where the job is.

Sudbury is on my list of places to checkout, but not found much in apartment rentals so far...not tried Acton yet, so i'll give that a google, cheers
I've lived in Boston for 15 years and recommed the following ifo sites

boston.craigslist.com
www.boston.com
www.mass.gov (official MA state site)

If you are working in downtown Boston you want to avoid the North or South shores as the commute can be hell. The western burds like Weston. Wellesley are very nice but expensive. If you can afford them and you like sort of snooty places ther are for you. If you like an easy commute and more city living you could look for a place somewhere in metro Boston like Cambridge, Somerville, Belmont, Watertown, Brighton etc.
Old May 30th 2006, 9:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I've lived in Boston for 15 years and recommed the following ifo sites

boston.craigslist.com
www.boston.com
www.mass.gov (official MA state site)

If you are working in downtown Boston you want to avoid the North or South shores as the commute can be hell. The western burds like Weston. Wellesley are very nice but expensive. If you can afford them and you like sort of snooty places ther are for you. If you like an easy commute and more city living you could look for a place somewhere in metro Boston like Cambridge, Somerville, Belmont, Watertown, Brighton etc.
I've been checking those sites, cheers though

And Boston, well I'd be working in Wayland, probably, we'll see tomorrow *lol*, so looking in that area, but I think we're zoning in on Acton or Natick, don't think we can afford Wayland or Weston
Old May 30th 2006, 11:27 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I've been checking those sites, cheers though

And Boston, well I'd be working in Wayland, probably, we'll see tomorrow *lol*, so looking in that area, but I think we're zoning in on Acton or Natick, don't think we can afford Wayland or Weston
Natick is a lot more built up than Acton. Towns like Concord, Maynard, Sudbury would also be good. I'm not sure what you're used to in the UK, but the towns to the west of Boston are quite rural and the public transport is limited so 2 cars are almost a necessity. You might still consider living more towards Boston and doing the reverse commute
Old May 31st 2006, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Can't help to much as I'm kind doing the google myself...but AC....whatever you get, get AC....summer might not be long here, but it sucks balls without it.

Another thought, get a GPS unit as soon as you get a car because driving through boston sucks monkey nuts...
So it sucks then?
Old May 31st 2006, 12:49 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
So it sucks then?

I think that's what Bob's trying to say!
Old May 31st 2006, 2:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Natick is a lot more built up than Acton. Towns like Concord, Maynard, Sudbury would also be good. I'm not sure what you're used to in the UK, but the towns to the west of Boston are quite rural and the public transport is limited so 2 cars are almost a necessity. You might still consider living more towards Boston and doing the reverse commute
I'm from Oxford, so I'm use to a fairly quiet city...and I rather liked Natick, blundered around Acton, really liked Sudbury...and anywhere that's got a commuter line quite close by, like Newton? but anything that's a drive against the grain of morning traffic ain't bad.

We checked Marlborough out, and unless we skimmed through the wrong half, thought it was a bit of a dive...and haven't sound to much nice to say about Framingham.

Got Brighton, Alliston, Watertown, Arlington and Summerville as some other suggestions to check out, so gonna check them out online later, but if you've got any opinions on any of those, would be much appreciated
Old May 31st 2006, 2:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by TimFountain
So it sucks then?
in a nut shell
Old May 31st 2006, 10:21 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
Got Brighton, Alliston, Watertown, Arlington and Summerville as some other suggestions to check out, so gonna check them out online later, but if you've got any opinions on any of those, would be much appreciated
All ok, but if you want any of the large chain stores or a decent mall nearby you'll have to drive to Natick. The amount of traffic lights and congestion in these places are a pain in the ar#e too.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 5:34 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoB1833
All ok, but if you want any of the large chain stores or a decent mall nearby you'll have to drive to Natick. The amount of traffic lights and congestion in these places are a pain in the ar#e too.

Last time I was in Salem it was hot as hell! Nice place though.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 7:40 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by blaze
Last time I was in Salem it was hot as hell! Nice place though.
Nice but not good for renting with a family, have since moved to Watertown but got out of there after a few months and now live in another Salem in New Hampshire.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 7:49 am
Blondie22

Nice but not good for renting with a family, have since moved to Watertown but got out of there after a few months and now live in another Salem in New Hampshire.

Are you working your way around all the salems in the country then? You've got at least one move left in you if that's the case!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 9:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

That's cool...well we're not to bothered by a small place, don't think we'll be able to afford living it large anyway *lol*..Route 20 kind of sucked, but then it could be me getting lost, it did seem like I was driving in circles for a while *l*
Old Jun 1st 2006, 9:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

So what's there to do in Watertown? And it a small place?
Old Jun 1st 2006, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Sudbury is on my list of places to checkout, but not found much in apartment rentals so far...not tried Acton yet, so i'll give that a google, cheers
Bob ! ............. Are you a very rich guy ?

I venture to Sudbury on a regular basis, it is one of the nicest towns in all Mass, but the cost of housing there is off the scale ! On route 20 west of the town there is a small estate that went up last year cositing of a horseshoe of about 15 link-detatched 3 bed houses, the starting price advertised out front is $500,000 each. Of the guy's I know who work there none can actually afford to live there.

You would think Nokia would help with the relocation costs, car and home etc.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 4:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Bob ! ............. Are you a very rich guy ?

I venture to Sudbury on a regular basis, it is one of the nicest towns in all Mass, but the cost of housing there is off the scale ! On route 20 west of the town there is a small estate that went up last year cositing of a horseshoe of about 15 link-detatched 3 bed houses, the starting price advertised out front is $500,000 each. Of the guy's I know who work there none can actually afford to live there.

You would think Nokia would help with the relocation costs, car and home etc.
I ain't looking at buying, just apartment rentals, which seems to be an issue, as there aren't that many going, Sudbury threw up quite a few though, I'm finding complexes with all the whistles (gym, pool, utilities etc) for around $1200+ for a real nice place versus paying around $1000-1100 for a similar sized place with nothing, but being in a mong pit of an area in like Marlborough in comparison.

Afford to buy, I'd be stuck bigtime *lol*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.