Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on making extra money while on a student visa

Advice on making extra money while on a student visa

Old Feb 12th 2006, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice
Default Advice on making extra money while on a student visa

Hey,

I'm on a student visa here in the US, and planning to settle here. Have a fiance and good job prospects so don't really see a Green card being an issue.

I've been offered a project to work on outside the university which will make me a nice bit of cash for only a couple of weeks work.

Problem is that on a student visa I'm not supposed to get any kind of money/work outside of the unversity.

Anyone got any suggestions here???

Its too good to turn down and will help me make contacts for my future.

Maybe joint or business bank account or something with US citizen???

Looking forward to hearing some suggestions.

Old Feb 12th 2006, 3:06 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on making extra money while on a student visa

Well, you know the official answer. One thing to think hard about is whether the pay is reported to IRS (at their end, not yours).
Old Feb 12th 2006, 3:18 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robousy
Hey,

I'm on a student visa here in the US, and planning to settle here. Have a fiance and good job prospects so don't really see a Green card being an issue.

I've been offered a project to work on outside the university which will make me a nice bit of cash for only a couple of weeks work.

Problem is that on a student visa I'm not supposed to get any kind of money/work outside of the unversity.

How important is it to you that you stay in the US? And when you say "too good to turn down", does that mean it's worth getting kicked out of the country for?

Sorry for raining on your parade but personally I don't believe in taking stupid risks, no matter how slim they are.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 3:31 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I don't know if these rules apply to you or not but might be useful

http://www.ice.gov/graphics/sevis/employment/index.htm

Maggie

Hey,

Old Feb 12th 2006, 3:37 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hey,

There is the correct answer and the answer you'd like to hear.

If you want to fulfill the ambitions in your first sentence, your odds are greatly improved if you follow the rules of your visa status.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 12th 2006, 5:39 am
Yeeehaahhh Cowboy

jonny140 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Advice on making extra money while on a student visa

well, in my own unprofessional opinion you can set up a business account and have them pay you on a 1099 instead of a w2 this way it is not categorised as "work" but merely as running a business which may lead to further things you suggested earlier.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 12:16 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonny140
well, in my own unprofessional opinion you can set up a business account and have them pay you on a 1099 instead of a w2 this way it is not categorised as "work" but merely as running a business which may lead to further things you suggested earlier.
Err, why is it not categorized as "work"?

Don't you need a visa to reside in the USA and run a "business" in the USA?
Old Feb 12th 2006, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Easy....buy and sell stuff on ebay. Find a wholesaler and sell whatever you like. Last time I checked buying and selling things wasn't considered work, but i'm sure i'll be proven wrong.......anyway, give that a go. Best of luck!!

Hey,

Old Feb 12th 2006, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Hey,

I'll tell what I'd do.
I'd take the job for a "few weeks" and keep my mouth shut.

What I wouldn't do is post my intentions on an internet forum, especially one regarding immigrating to the USA that could be "watched" by US Immigration officials. However, If I did have a brain fart and did that I definately wouldn't include my location AND A PICTURE OF ME to make it easier for them to find and deport me if they are watching!!!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 8:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If your fiance is a yank, any dodgy work is often forgiven at AOS, but you could still get booted before you AOS if you get caught.

Getting paid abroad ain't the issue, the issue is that you'd be working in the US, and you can't.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:15 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
I'll tell what I'd do.
I'd take the job for a "few weeks" and keep my mouth shut.

What I wouldn't do is post my intentions on an internet forum, especially one regarding immigrating to the USA that could be "watched" by US Immigration officials. However, If I did have a brain fart and did that I definately wouldn't include my location AND A PICTURE OF ME to make it easier for them to find and deport me if they are watching!!!
Funny enough I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read this post.

It only takes one person on here to notify immigration and your up sh**t creek without a paddle.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice

Thanks for the advice.

As for the pejorative comments regarding brain farts and so forth, the work is an offer which hasn't been accepted and as such I am just seeking advice at this point.

Anyhow, new question.

If I get married next week (instead of next year) then how long would it generally take to come under the new marriage visa, an IR1 I think, instead of student visa, so that I could work legally???
Old Feb 13th 2006, 2:33 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Thanks for the advice.

As for the pejorative comments regarding brain farts and so forth, the work is an offer which hasn't been accepted and as such I am just seeking advice at this point.
Whether you've taken the job or not you obviously were/are contemplating it hence your post. If you want to class a reply that warns you against displaying a photo and location of yours along with advice on whether or not you should take illegal work as "perjorative" then so be it, it was good sound advice. Maybe, as a student you were just a embarrassed by the highlighting of your lack of common sense.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 4:16 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

If I get married next week (instead of next year) then how long would it generally take to come under the new marriage visa, an IR1 I think, instead of student visa, so that I could work legally???
After marriage and you filing all the AOS documentation .. you should get your EAD in 90 days..
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what your going for, but as Ray said, if you just get married, and then apply for AOS, and applied for EAD, should get the EAD within 90 days or the reciept.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.