Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on job please

Advice on job please

Old Aug 7th 2020, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on job please

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Now you’ve gone and spoilt the fun.
Oh
Old Aug 8th 2020, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
That package will put you in the top 5% of income earners. It should be more than sufficient.
Not according to many upper middle class residents of Manhattan or San Francisco. As the New York Times likes to remind me, it's hard to make ends meet with under $500K a year these days
Old Aug 8th 2020, 1:47 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkeybest
My job is in VA but a good size city my friend has taken a job in rural ohio paying 500k+.....he is married though dont think those kind of places are good when you are single etc...interior could be inferior that seems to be how the US works lol
Not sure where you are coming from, but I moved here single and I will tell you dating in Manhattan was not cheap... I don’t think I ever went “Dutch” and I had friends who spent more on dating than rent... no idea what VA is like..
Old Aug 8th 2020, 1:50 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
There was another doctor on here a while back with a strikingly similar attitude. I think they got banned eventually. Just sayin'.
I remember him, he was the hospital tea boy as well
Old Aug 8th 2020, 6:56 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The big ban hammer has come out again? I wonder if this guy was 'The MIrror' in a new incarnation?
Old Aug 8th 2020, 3:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkeybest
Yes you are correct 7 figure offers are the norm for certain jobs in certain places, thats the market. Am amazed how narrow minded the Brits here are sitting in their closets thinking that a professional with minimum 10 years training should be paid less than a brickie!

If you and your specialty is in such demand, why do you need to use the H1B instead of the O visa. Doctors, EMTs, lab workers, etc. are not million dollar professions. Perhaps your field is as a medical scientist and you are being offered work in the pharm industry.

Or perhaps you are counting the 7 figures included with a decimal point, i.e. $1,000,000 = $10,000.00
Old Aug 8th 2020, 4:06 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
If you and your specialty is in such demand, why do you need to use the H1B instead of the O visa. Doctors, EMTs, lab workers, etc. are not million dollar professions. Perhaps your field is as a medical scientist and you are being offered work in the pharm industry.

Or perhaps you are counting the 7 figures included with a decimal point, i.e. $1,000,000 = $10,000.00
I don’t see why you would use an O, I have seen employees on over $1m a year total comp on an H1b. Nothing the OP has posted indicated they are of any extraordinary ability. They have just trained for a longtime for their specialty, but likely it’s just a need for it rather than some rare specialty given the comp indicated, they probably have 2-4 years expensive post their TI/resident training, maybe less if their is an acute shortage like ICU, people who can do intubation for example are in short supply with COVID19.

Some medical specialties are a absolutely million dollar professions .... I’m sure the the plastic surgeon that we had to Pay $1000 to Stich up my sons head after a fall at daycare because he does not take insurance makes over $1m a year... I have worked for a medical school, it’s not uncommon for some doctors in the US to do an MD and MBA at the same time and they are doing that because they plan to run their own practice and earn a lot of money.

even a quick google found a $400k job in the next door town to me:
Anesthesiology in CT - Cardiac Anesthesia Physician Needed in CT (Phys
https://g.co/kgs/8UFCNy

Last edited by tht; Aug 8th 2020 at 4:24 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2020, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
even a quick google found a $400k job in the next door town to me:
Anesthesiology in CT - Cardiac Anesthesia Physician Needed in CT (Phys
https://g.co/kgs/8UFCNy
Salary looks good, do you need experience or do they provide on the job training?
Old Aug 10th 2020, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Medical can indeed pay $$$$, although as some say there are lots of extra costs like liability insurance. My b-i-l is an ER doc in Las Vegas and his entry-level salary there after completing his residency about four years back was in the mid-six figures.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't trust my health to anyone who writes with grammar that appalling. Just sayin'.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 10:29 pm
tht

Originally Posted by sherbert
I wouldn't trust my health to anyone who writes with grammar that appalling. Just sayin'.
I don’t think English is the OP’s first language.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe so, but in any language grammar is required. Also, if you're working in healthcare/sciences/research in the US, a good command of the English language is probably required.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 11th 2020, 11:07 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe so, but in any language grammar is required. Also, if you're working in healthcare/sciences/research in the US, a good command of the English language is probably required.
Have you ever seen dictations from an MD? They are all basically incomprehensible anyway, even from a native speaker.

Dictating notes is the worst thing that was ever invented.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 2:41 pm
tht

On research my limited experience in medical / academia is that they hire the best talent and that’s often international.

On healthcare, english is not the first language for everyone who lives in the US: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_States#Most_common_languag es

Depending on the community the provider serves English may not be the first choice language.

I personally would look at the providers education and experience, my wife’s OBGYN in the city was Japanese and the backup was his Italian wife. Both excellent clinicians, their grammar never played a part in selecting them.