Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Originally Posted by Bob
got married before applying? then wouldn't be eligible till he'd gotten the EAD.
That's not true. A K-1 holder is eligible to get a SSN within his first 76 days here in the USA, whether married or not yet. If more than 76 days go by, THEN he needs an EAD to get the SSN.

Rene
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickybrit
Driving along a 40mph stretch of road followed by police car, low light ( lights on) wet road/raining. So I'm driving pretty good, then a school bus driving on the opposite side of the road coming towards me decides to put flashing lights on. Now there is no safe way for me to slam my brakes on, risk sliding or being hit in the back by police car, so all clear I drives on.
If you do contest this ticket then don't use the 'no safe way for me to slam by brakes on' line, because there's no requirement for you to slam you brakes on, the requirement under the law is that you stop and don't pass the bus.

You need to take the emotion out of the situation and look back at what happened dispassionately.

Good luck.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mickybrit
True it was a no win situation, I'm doing 40mph, the cop is doing 40 mph behind me say 40 feet behind me, the school bus driving along decides to stop flashes its lights. Which is safer to carry on driving with no risk to anyone or emergency brake probably aqua plane past the bus anyway, skid into the bus, have the cop car crash into the back of me.
Although it would not be ideal having a police car crash into you, surely if they crash into the back of your car they are at fault!

Also quite often the out of state requirements to get a DL are not always the same as the international requirements. Everything in MD suggested I had 90 days, but when I spoke to people at the MVA they told me I had a year.

Last edited by Longy; Dec 2nd 2008 at 2:56 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
got married before applying? then wouldn't be eligible till he'd gotten the EAD.
Nope. As long as he still has, IIRC 14 days, left on his I-94, he can still apply for the SSN, married or not.

EDIt: Norrah beat me to it!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:40 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes, I think you should show up in court with your fanciest British accent and explain the whole thing. Right down to how you don't really live here yet. And you think our school bus drivers are liars who are out to trap you in front of the cops. Add in the part about how you think the whole school bus light thing is stupid and provincial (ok I made that up) too, I think it will help.
He should have just told that cop to go **** himself on the spot!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Norri
The cop is full of shit as far as that is concerned, an international license is only a translation of your own license, which we hope is not required inthe US.

Wether you should have had a NY license is totally another matter.
In the op you say you could have stopped but the police car would have run into the back of you, well you should have stopped, the police would have been at fault and we not be having this discussion.
I heard this marvelous story from another Brit over here who went to the DMV with his UK driving licence and was told that it couldn't be accepted without an Internationational licence accompanying it. He pointed out that the Intl licence is purely a translation and was told 'that's right sir, we need to see the translation from UKanian to English'. He pointed out that 'Ukanian' *is* actually English and if the muppet bothered to *look* at the licence she would see that.... eventually a 'supervisor' did see sense and alloow the 'UKanian' licence to be used as a form of ID without the translation, though as an exception only......
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:06 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swisstony
I heard this marvelous story from another Brit over here who went to the DMV with his UK driving licence and was told that it couldn't be accepted without an Internationational licence accompanying it. He pointed out that the Intl licence is purely a translation and was told 'that's right sir, we need to see the translation from UKanian to English'. He pointed out that 'Ukanian' *is* actually English and if the muppet bothered to *look* at the licence she would see that.... eventually a 'supervisor' did see sense and alloow the 'UKanian' licence to be used as a form of ID without the translation, though as an exception only......
LOL!

Reminds me of the story in the immigration forums where someone wrote "UK" in the space on vthe form for "Country of Birth" and their green card came back with "Place of Birth: Unknown" written on it!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think you should show up in court with your fanciest British accent and explain the whole thing. Right down to how you don't really live here yet. And you think our school bus drivers are liars who are out to trap you in front of the cops. Add in the part about how you think the whole school bus light thing is stupid and provincial (ok I made that up) too, I think it will help.
Originally Posted by Leslie66

A UK colleague of my husband's was stopped for speeding on his way to Newark airport. He asked the cop to hurry up because he was late for his flight. He was told if he made another comment like that he would spend the night in jail.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
LOL!

Reminds me of the story in the immigration forums where someone wrote "UK" in the space on vthe form for "Country of Birth" and their green card came back with "Place of Birth: Unknown" written on it!
Is that what happened? That's what mine says! I always figured I must have put Scotland on there and they weren't able to find it on their computer system so they put Unknown. Haha. I kind of like the 'unknown' on there, makes me seem a bit more mysterious.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A UK colleague of my husband's was stopped for speeding on his way to Newark airport. He asked the cop to hurry up because he was late for his flight. He was told if he made another comment like that he would spend the night in jail.

Not that I haven't done it myself for a speeding ticket, mind (a suit goes down better with the judge than sweats for example) I just thought a little 'hat in hand' might be in order instead of telling the whole PD & State judicial system how lame they are.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:26 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I haven't done it myself for a speeding ticket, mind (a suit goes down better with the judge than sweats for example) I just thought a little 'hat in hand' might be in order instead of telling the whole PD & State judicial system how lame they are.
Yes, hat in hand might work ... As long as he remembers it is proper form to enter the court room brandishing a weapon or two.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, hat in hand might work ... As long as he remembers it is proper form to enter the court room brandishing a weapon or two.
An epee?
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:51 pm
WTF?

An epee?
Of course!! Then he could just challenge somebody to a duel and settle it like a gentleman.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:54 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes! No need for language like that!!

A simple punch in the face would have done...
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 5:05 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

You saw the Yellow lights WTF do you think they mean? Second thing is why don't you have a drivers licence? It's not rocket science. You sound bone idle, too lazy to stop too lazy to get a DL. You deserve all you get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.