Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on health insurance

Advice on health insurance

Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on health insurance

Originally Posted by frambuesas
I don't know that it's not legal - it might be a state-by-state thing? I'm not sure. But it seems legit from everything I've read about NC regulations!

I can definitely get on if my husband loses his insurance but I can't just change to my employer's plan because his insurance becomes less beneficial to me for whatever reason. Basically if I have insurance with him, it doesn't matter if I would prefer to have my employer's insurance, I have to wait until the window opens again.

As long as there's no gap between insurance plans, you are right, there are no pre-existing condition restrictions. However, given that the window only opens for thirty days once a year, it's a little bit of a risk should my husband's plan become unreasonable etc. The two plan idea doesn't seem so bad when my employer's plan is $26/month cost to me. I've got to reflect on this of course, and I appreciate your thoughts on having two plans - it's given me more to consider.
Qualifying events are federal law. They fall under HIPAA. You're right, you can't just pick up your plan because you want to but there are several events that can allow you to make changes at any time. Along losing coverage completely a reduction in current coverage is also a reason you can make changes. Also the gap in coverage allowed is 64 days and it only allows you to credit coverage so its possible to still have an exclusion period.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice
Default Re: Advice on health insurance

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Qualifying events are federal law. They fall under HIPAA. You're right, you can't just pick up your plan because you want to but there are several events that can allow you to make changes at any time. Along losing coverage completely a reduction in current coverage is also a reason you can make changes. Also the gap in coverage allowed is 64 days and it only allows you to credit coverage so its possible to still have an exclusion period.
Sounds about what I was told at training. Thank you!