Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice appreciated

Advice appreciated

Old Apr 25th 2012, 3:19 am
Just Joined

Derekl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice appreciated

I have been in the US for 20 years. My wife and I have never paid into the US Social Security system, and therefore have never qualified for SS benefits or Medicaid. But between our two pensions from England, we always just managed. Now my wife has passed away. Without her full pension I can no longer pay the bills without dipping into our savings each month. I have tried to reduce expenses at every turn, but I fear I have only another year at best before I am completely broke. I am in my late 70s and unable to work. I have no health insurance. I applied for Medicaid and SSI but can't qualify until I'm down to my last $2000. I feel so utterly hopeless. I tried the British Consulate, but their response was basically "Gosh Tough Luck Old Chum!" Does any one know of any resources to help elderly expats who just can't get on?
Old Apr 25th 2012, 4:20 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice appreciated

Sorry to hear that your wife passed away. Only thing that comes to mind is to go back to the UK were you would be entitled to health care and perhaps more benefits.

It might help if you say where in the US you are, as people might know of local organizations which might help.

Last edited by lansbury; Apr 25th 2012 at 5:25 am.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately the health care reform exchanges don't kick in until 2014 (if health care reform is not overturned by the supreme court). When they do, you would likely be eligible for free medicaid if your income is below 125% of the poverty level.

Although the following calculator only goes up through 64 years of age, I believe people over 64 are also covered who aren't eligible for medicare.

http://healthreform.kff.org/SubsidyC...spx#calcParams
Old Apr 25th 2012, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derekl
I have been in the US for 20 years. My wife and I have never paid into the US Social Security system, and therefore have never qualified for SS benefits or Medicaid. But between our two pensions from England, we always just managed. Now my wife has passed away. Without her full pension I can no longer pay the bills without dipping into our savings each month. I have tried to reduce expenses at every turn, but I fear I have only another year at best before I am completely broke. I am in my late 70s and unable to work. I have no health insurance. I applied for Medicaid and SSI but can't qualify until I'm down to my last $2000. I feel so utterly hopeless. I tried the British Consulate, but their response was basically "Gosh Tough Luck Old Chum!" Does any one know of any resources to help elderly expats who just can't get on?
How did you survive living here for 20 years with no health insurance?
Old Apr 25th 2012, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

So you came to the US in your late 50's and lived on your UK pensions?

While I'm very sorry for your current situation, what were you thinking? and how did you think your pensions were going to last when you had no medical insurance?

Yes, I agree with the other posters...... you'll have to return to the UK and hope the benefits system there will help you.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

JessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant future

Wow y'all. I think you need to have a bit more compassion. Put yourself in his shoes about being in the US for 20 years and now having his wife pass away before you pass judgement on his decisions to live without health insurance and offer the advice of move back the UK. I'm sure it's a bid easier said then done.

(standing off soap box)

My immediate advice would be to go to your local Citizen's Advice Bureau. I'm very sorry for your loss.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JessicaKate
Wow y'all. I think you need to have a bit more compassion. Put yourself in his shoes about being in the US for 20 years and now having his wife pass away before you pass judgement on his decisions to live without health insurance and offer the advice of move back the UK. I'm sure it's a bid easier said then done.

(standing off soap box)

My immediate advice would be to go to your local Citizen's Advice Bureau. I'm very sorry for your loss.
As far as I'm aware, we don't have citizens advice bureaus in the US
Old Apr 25th 2012, 12:05 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry you find yourself in this situation. Can any family members help you? I would probably sell everything to raise more cash and return to the UK where you will get access to healthcare and benefits.

Last edited by nun; Apr 25th 2012 at 12:07 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

JessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lisa67
As far as I'm aware, we don't have citizens advice bureaus in the US
I know I contacted one before... maybe is was know as something else... oh yes, it was! Consumer Credit Counseling! There are usually non-profits in most communities that offer that service.

Maybe try this link?

http://www.nfcc.org/

(sorry I get confused with US/UK equivalents sometimes...)
Old Apr 25th 2012, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Wow, just wow at some of the responses posted on here. Talk about a lack of empathy and just marching in with a dumb statement.

The following is about qualifying for medicare as a non-citizen.
http://www.eldercareteam.com/public/226.cfm

I hope you find it of some use. As someone said earlier, if you can let the board know where in the USA you are, we might be able to help a bit more.

Sorry for your loss, and as a result the situation you now find yourself in. I hope we can help make things as easy for you as possible
Old Apr 25th 2012, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by njmackem
Wow, just wow at some of the responses posted on here. Talk about a lack of empathy and just marching in with a dumb statement.

The following is about qualifying for medicare as a non-citizen.
http://www.eldercareteam.com/public/226.cfm

I hope you find it of some use. As someone said earlier, if you can let the board know where in the USA you are, we might be able to help a bit more.

Sorry for your loss, and as a result the situation you now find yourself in. I hope we can help make things as easy for you as possible
Old Apr 25th 2012, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Believe me, I know that I am 100% percent responsible for my current situation. I was living in a dream world. Everything was fine. We were muddling through. Picking up an odd job here and there. Stupidly not thinking about the future much. My wife and I did talk from time to time about going back, but she did not want to. I always imagined that I'd be the first to pass, but then she beat me to it. And funny thing is that all the friends we had have vanished along with my wife. I've come to realize that they cared for her, not me. Oh well, here I am: a sorry sad sack. But thank you for your kind advice. I have a neighbor with a computer and she will help me look up these sources you have given me. Thank you!
Old Apr 25th 2012, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Oh yes. I am in Tampa Fl.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

On the bright side, tampa has quite a large ex-pat population.

Couple of questions.

Are you legally allowed to work in the USA with your current visa? If so you might want to hunt down the chamber of commerce in florida and see if any of the ex-pat companies could use your assistance.

Its a sketchy subject to question on a web forum, but do you own your own home that perhaps you could leverage towards your future or are you currently renting.

I know its not what you want to hear, but with very little in the way of a support structure in the US you may need to look at the alternative and relocate to the UK.

On the bright side you may by the looks of it qualify for medicare, but as for a means of income that is the sticking point.

Good Luck
Old Apr 25th 2012, 2:15 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Derekl
Does any one know of any resources to help elderly expats who just can't get on?
What is your status are you a LPR or Citizen?
Also would you qualify under any special groups such as Jewish or Catholic as these groups tend to have their own funds and programs.

I would suggest that your first step would be to visit the local Senior Center and see if there is a geriatric social worker that you can talk to or if they can refer you to one. The social worker should then be able to point you towards resources.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.