Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice about putting GCSE's on resume?

Advice about putting GCSE's on resume?

Old Mar 19th 2004, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice about putting GCSE's on resume?

I never went on to further education and just have a few GCSE passes on my resume. Obviously any American looking at my resume is probably going to say WTF? when it comes to that part, so any advice on wording would be helpful.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:14 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice about putting GCSE's on resume?

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I never went on to further education and just have a few GCSE passes on my resume. Obviously any American looking at my resume is probably going to say WTF? when it comes to that part, so any advice on wording would be helpful.

I did university here after working for a few years, so when I arrived I just had Os and As (as they were back in the dark ages), and I put them on my resume with the idea that even if people didn't know what they were, they would know they were something and that might be enough to get you in the door to an interview where you can impress them personally. Warning, generalisation coming (and I really am not being rude about anybody) - many people coming from the UK with GCSEs are better prepared than your average high school graduate here, so you want to put something on there that suggests that.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:27 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

I've been working on my resume this avo and I have consulted my nearby copy of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Perfect Resume" on your behalf.

It suggests that if you finished high school more than 2 years ago and have no additional schooling then leave the Education section out of your resume unless the job you're going for specifically asks for a high school diploma*.

That would save any confusion on the part of a potential employer about UK qualifications

Highlight your professional experience on your resume instead as that's going to count more for getting a job.

* If you're asked for education maybe just put Graduate and list your school.

It also suggests that you could create a section titled Professional Development or Training and list relevant workshops, courses etc you may have completed.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:29 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DaveC
I've been working on my resume this avo and I have consulted my nearby copy of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Perfect Resume" on your behalf.

It suggests that if you finished high school more than 2 years ago and have no additional schooling then leave the Education section out of your resume unless the job you're going for specifically asks for a high school diploma*.

That would save any confusion on the part of a potential employer about UK qualifications

Highlight your professional experience on your resume instead as that's going to count more for getting a job.

It also suggests that you could create a section titled Professional Development or Training and list relevant workshops, courses etc you may have completed.
I like his advice better than mine.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. I do have a section for training and achievements on my resume, as for my line of work, I think these speak more loudly than my GCSE results.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 11:36 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DaveC

I'm not sure if the advice given above is sound. I wonder if this "Idiot's Guide" explicitly states that the advice above is to be followed by jobseekers educated outside the US.

Since the OP has no academic education beyond the equivalent of US High School and you're suggesting not even mentioning that he has the US equivalent of a High School diploma, my bet is that potential employers will assume that he did not even "graduate" from high school.

It's my bet that the Idiot's Guide mentioned above is pretty much geared towards Americans/those educated in the US.

I've not heard of the Complete Idiot's Guide.... but I highly recommend a book by Yana Parker named "The Resume Guide: 200 Damn Good Examples". Her website address is www.damngood.com.

I bought the Resume Guide and found it invaluable in converting a non-American CV into an American resume. Also helps those whose experience, education is from overseas, inc. gaps, inc. military service, change of career, etc.

I attribute part of my success in getting my present job to having bought and studied this book.