Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

adventures in Europe

Wikiposts

adventures in Europe

Old Feb 20th 2006, 4:21 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default adventures in Europe

We didn't get a holiday at work, but it's a federal holiday.

Nothing like arriving in Amsterdam to find the consulate closed! Have to try again tomorrow.

Also, the sun has decided it doesn't want to shine .... and in both the UK and Europe it's been pissing down, just above freezing.

On the other hand, I have now been in four countries in one night (England, France, Belgium, the Netherlands).

We were very lucky because the car's battery light came on in Belgium on a Sunday night and thanks to Toon's innovative use of electricity, we made it to his place. The alternator died and the only way we made it was that it is a diesel engine.

Tomorrow we'll try again to file the DCF..... argh!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 4:24 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: adventures in Europe

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Nothing like arriving in Amsterdam to find the consulate closed! Have to try again tomorrow.

Also, the sun has decided it doesn't want to shine .... and in both the UK and Europe it's been pissing down, just above freezing.

On the other hand, I have now been in four countries in one night (England, France, Belgium, the Netherlands).

We were very lucky because the car's battery light came on in Belgium on a Sunday night and thanks to Toon's innovative use of electricity, we made it to his place. The alternator died and the only way we made it was that it is a diesel engine.

What were you expecting in February - glorious sunshine ??

Enjoy the rest of your trip and hope the weather improves
Old Feb 20th 2006, 4:28 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
What were you expecting in February - glorious sunshine ??

Enjoy the rest of your trip and hope the weather improves
Either snow and get it over with or stop raining!

We did have a curry on Brick Lane in the East End (warning: when they say "very hot" they REALLY MEAN "very hot") and a lovely Sunday roast in Richmond. Riding the tube at midnight on a Saturday night was also quite interesting. I have never seen so many drunk people up close and personal!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 4:41 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

I've been away from the board for a few days...didn't know you had flown over- hope all went well.

Good luck on the DCF- our experience in Madrid was very easy, and all I've ever read about Amsterdam says it should be no sweat.

Good Luck!!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 4:48 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

We did have a curry on Brick Lane in the East End (warning: when they say "very hot" they REALLY MEAN "very hot") Riding the tube at midnight on a Saturday night was also quite interesting.
Do you have a death-wish ???
Old Feb 20th 2006, 4:51 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Do you have a death-wish ???

Aaaah vindaloo nights.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 5:13 am
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Aaaah vindaloo nights.
And toilet mornings!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 7:48 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Either snow and get it over with or stop raining!

We did have a curry on Brick Lane in the East End (warning: when they say "very hot" they REALLY MEAN "very hot") and a lovely Sunday roast in Richmond. Riding the tube at midnight on a Saturday night was also quite interesting. I have never seen so many drunk people up close and personal!
Whereabouts in Richmond did you go? I worked in Richmond for years and lived about 2 miles away - its a lovely place, always used to fantasise about retiring there one day.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:17 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

wow you've been all over the place good luck tomorrow...I didn't know today was a holiday
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:24 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Well that explains why I haven't been able to find you lately.. ahem! Congrats on your trip and eager to read your report!

What's that saying? It'll be a doodle
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Toon has a reputation beyond reputeToon has a reputation beyond reputeToon has a reputation beyond reputeToon has a reputation beyond reputeToon has a reputation beyond reputeToon has a reputation beyond reputeToon has a reputation beyond reputeToon has a reputation beyond reputeToon has a reputation beyond reputeToon has a reputation beyond reputeToon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Whereabouts in Richmond did you go? I worked in Richmond for years and lived about 2 miles away - its a lovely place, always used to fantasise about retiring there one day.
argh! can't remember the name but think it was on Petersham Road. There was the park nearby and some sort of athletic grounds. Decent-sized car park at the rear; a bit of stained glass, and to my great surprise, dogs were allowed inside near the bar.

There were roast dinners of chicken and apricot, lamb, and sirloin; as well as salads like goat cheese and strawberries and grapes, and crusty bread with oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping -- a mix of old and new favourites. Even "nut roast" for the vegetarians. The potatoes were slow roast and there was veg on the side including broccoli and carrots.

I remember nearly the whole menu but not the name! I even remember reading the permit of "allowed" activities -- didn't know you needed a permit for dancing, for example.

It was a pub but it felt more like a restaurant; it was "child-friendly" and there were certainly loads of kids there.

(snowbunny logged in as Toon)
Old Feb 20th 2006, 9:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Should have been a given the embassy closes, they take local and US holidays, surprised there ever open
Old Feb 20th 2006, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Should have been a given the embassy closes, they take local and US holidays, surprised there ever open
so Bob it would be WARM to you here, Toon reminded me, since it is only at freezing with a biting fast wind.

Sarah, found the pub -- The Dysart (Arms) -- knew if it had hit my credit card yet I'd find it.

This place took my card, but others are insisting on "chip and pin". Weird stuff because I always thought the only time you needed a PIN was on a debit, not credit card.

Anyway, the Brits have joined the Dutch as "chip and pen"-ers.

(snowbunny again)
Old Feb 20th 2006, 9:31 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
I have friends who live in the Park ...beautiful house ....
Old Feb 20th 2006, 9:36 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
This place took my card, but others are insisting on "chip and pin". Weird stuff because I always thought the only time you needed a PIN was on a debit, not credit card.

Anyway, the Brits have joined the Dutch as "chip and pen"-ers.
You don't need a "Chip and Pin" if it's a US card in the UK. Just ignorance, I'm afraid. Persevere if you have to...

“There have been isolated reports of some overseas cardholders being told by shops that if they do not have a chip and PIN card they will not be able to use their cards after 14 February. This is incorrect advice and we would like to reassure all overseas cardholders that they will be able to use their cards as normal in UK shops and businesses after 14 February 2006.“
Source: http://www.apacs.org.uk/media_centre.../06_02_06.html

And then report the wankers here: http://www.chipandpin.co.uk/consumer/2005/problems.html

No idea what the Dutch equivalent is -- but I'm sure your OH will find the website for you. And I'm pretty sure the rules will be just the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.