Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advantages of US Citizenship?

Advantages of US Citizenship?

Old Mar 17th 2014, 2:49 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advantages of US Citizenship?

I've been here near enough ten years. Maybe absence would create a noticeable difference (as I'm sure I'll notice in the UK when I go back) but the differences shouldn't be insurmountable for someone who has had experience living here.

It's really not that bad here, provided you do your research first so can be prepared for any roadbumps along the way. Being so close to retirement would make health insurance an issue, this might be the only deal breaker. Then there's the possibility of culture shock for the wife.

If the OP would be willing to say exactly what it is about the UK they don't like anymore (apologies if this was done, I kind of skimmed through the thread), then we could be in a better position to offer advice as to whether a return to the US is going to be worth pursuing.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Have you ever heard about boiling a frog? The year on year changes might not appear to be much when you live in one place, but if you're gone ten years you'll notice all the changes there have been.
Yes but the frog boiling anecdote has been debunked

I can recall quite clearly, life from 10 years ago, both in America and in the UK. Minor incremental changes yes but nothing on that timescale that has changed the fundamental nature of either country and the lives people lead.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 5:42 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BikerBear
Yes, I was born in San Diego and moved to the UK when I was 46. I'm now 56, and 5 years away from retiring.

My spouse has been to America many, many times; always on holiday. However, living and working in America is totally different; and has the potential of being a HUGE culture shock and possibly a mistake. Don't know.
Given what you've said I think it's better one of you suffer culture shock than both suffer culture shock by moving to France for example. Especially if you're thinking of working there.

I'm assuming until the age of 36 you worked in the US so you know the differences in the work culture.

If you've got your 40 qualifying quarters for Medicare and Social Security my personal view is that if you don't like where you are, San Diego would be a better place to retire to than France as you're more familiar with it.

San Diego is now more crowded and the traffic is worse than ten years ago, imx.

I think it really boils down to what you've got in the way of friends and family, your wife might find that a bit difficult to deal with, being so far away and not having any friends. Especially if you're thinking of retiring soon.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Age and experience change us more than places in 10 years. I doubt the UK had changed much at all, it is just my perception of the UK has changed. For better or worse living in the USA has altered me. Now where is my gun.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Any chance you could put a smiley after "gun"?
Old Mar 17th 2014, 6:37 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Any chance you could put a smiley after "gun"?
I'd prefer a question mark, myself ...
Old Mar 17th 2014, 6:48 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
Age and experience change us more than places in 10 years. I doubt the UK had changed much at all, it is just my perception of the UK has changed. For better or worse living in the USA has altered me. Now where is my gun.
Yes, this is such an important point. (NOT the gun part. )

Biker Bear has probably changed far more than the US has, because he's lived a good long spell in a very different country. He'll come back a different person from the one who left, and I'll bet things in this country will look different to him--which things will depend on his personality.

However, the ACA has changed healthcare access in some states, so he should pay some attention to it & do a bit of research.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

economy_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
What is a public US hospital?
Some people specially buy houses where these hospitals are available. Some people call them County hospitals for example Parkland Hospital system ( http://www.parklandhospital.com/index.php )