Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advantages of US Citizenship?

Advantages of US Citizenship?

Old Mar 16th 2014, 7:13 am
Just Joined

BikerBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advantages of US Citizenship?

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
The OP is returning to the US not coming to the US.
Yes, I was born in San Diego and moved to the UK when I was 46. I'm now 56, and 5 years away from retiring.

My spouse has been to America many, many times; always on holiday. However, living and working in America is totally different; and has the potential of being a HUGE culture shock and possibly a mistake. Don't know.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 2:13 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BikerBear
Yes, I was born in San Diego and moved to the UK when I was 46. I'm now 56, and 5 years away from retiring.

My spouse has been to America many, many times; always on holiday. However, living and working in America is totally different; and has the potential of being a HUGE culture shock and possibly a mistake. Don't know.
Hmmm there is a big difference between a vacation here and living here esp. depending on where you live and what you are leaving behind.

For example if you have plenty of money and good health and retire down in Florida near like minded retiree folk it might be good and dandy. But moving to downtown Houston, not knowing anyone, unable to walk or take public transport anywhere and scrimping and saving to afford healthcare could be awful.

My parents in law had best friends in the UK who were getting on and decided to move to a retirement complex and hated it - said it made them feel old, so they moved even further away to be beside relatives thinking that would be support in their old age and found that they had nothing in common anymore (visits were lovely but they didn't want to live next to them). They are now desperate to move back to their 'home' town but are stuck with a house they can't sell. i guess I am saying the grass isn't always greener
Old Mar 16th 2014, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any chance of a trial move? We moved to the USA in 1987 and have had great experiences here but it has never been 'home' like Yorkshire was. When we retired we rented a house back in the town where we used to live for 7 months to see how much the place had changed. We loved it and are now planning to move back permanently in a couple of years.

If you have the finances to try something similar when you retire then you will see how your home town has changed since you left and give your wife a good feel of what living there would be like, as opposed to just visiting.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 3:50 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

You initially said you were interested in the New England states -- is that an area you have spent much time in? Although a lovely area in which to live, the winters (although not a patch on what some of the mid-western states experience) are still pretty tough in comparison to CA and the UK. We have had incredibly low temperatures this winter and still have a foot of snow on the ground that fell weeks ago and isn't going anywhere. Will you be looking for work "cold" or do you have contacts? That could be a problem at your age -- younger is generally considered better in these parts, I'm afraid! It sounds as if you have enough time in with US social security to be able to draw a pension eventually and be eligible for Medicare. That's an important factor for you both. But don't forget that, in order to obtain a full government pension here, the retirement age is 66, and will be going to 67 for people born 1960 and up.

It might be good to spend enough time here for your spouse to obtain US citizenship, so that you both always have the ability to move freely between the two countries -- but only you can decide if it is worthwhile going through the visa process for her to move here if you are unsure about whether it is an appropriate move. Is there something specific that you think might be better for you both in the US than in the UK?
Old Mar 16th 2014, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Your response seemed something of an overreaction. OP's spouse may not be fully aware.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

10 years isn't that much time. There's no appreciable difference in the country since then...
Old Mar 16th 2014, 6:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

ACA wasn't in place then....and health insurance costs have ballooned massively in that time.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
10 years isn't that much time. There's no appreciable difference in the country since then...
Actually it's a lot of time! I was only gone for 5 years, ok Bush came into power while I was gone and turned things upside down, but things still would have changed in that amount of time.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Your response seemed something of an overreaction. OP's spouse may not be fully aware.

Can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen
Old Mar 16th 2014, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Of course events happen. And there are always swings back and forth.

However the country, and people's lives, are generally not much different than they were 10 years ago.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen
Change the record.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

economy_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
So your query isn't really anything to do with citizenship, but rather about the cost/standard of living in the US? If you do a search, I think you will find a number of recent threads on that topic. But to answer one part of your query, health insurance is costly, but at least the Affordable Care Act does makes it available for one and all to purchase. New England is a lovely area in which to live, but it is pricey.
If you are low income and don't mind going to public US Hospitals then Medicaid etc. are still available Health Insurance options from government.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by economy_1
If you are low income and don't mind going to public US Hospitals then Medicaid etc. are still available Health Insurance options from government.
What is a public US hospital?
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Have you ever heard about boiling a frog? The year on year changes might not appear to be much when you live in one place, but if you're gone ten years you'll notice all the changes there have been.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 2:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by economy_1
Not every place has a county hospital. None in my area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.