Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advantages/disadvantages of US citizenship

Wikiposts

Advantages/disadvantages of US citizenship

Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advantages/disadvantages of US citizenship

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Same applies if you have a GC

Apparently, some U.S. ports of entry don't allow GC holders to join the citizens line.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:12 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Apparently, some U.S. ports of entry don't allow GC holders to join the citizens line.
hmm not had that problem....
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
Me neither, must be us Northern Brits eh?
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The same problem exists with the GC, though. The difference is that if you relinquish your PR status by leaving, you've not got taxation on your worldwide income, whereas as a citizen it follows you everywhere and forever.
Which if I'd ever win the mega jackpot would mean I'd tell USCIS they can stick there greencard and scarper...but that's not likely to happen
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
Logon airport, they don't always allow greencard holders in the line, depends how busy they are and which terminal you land, but whenever I've been in terminal E, they were all being told to get into the phleb line
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:20 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Me neither, must be us Northern Brits eh?

exactly
Old Feb 19th 2006, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Plus- no more USCIS
Cons- Have to file US taxes even if you bugger off, so no fun working in a tax free country.
So what if you bugger off and work in a tax free country? So long as you spend no more than a specified amount of days in the US in a given year (I think it's 30, off the top of my head), you are tax exempt on $80k. Similar with the UK, although last time I looked the number of days you could spend in the UK was 90, and it's tax free no matter what the amount?? (Not 100% on that mind).

Admittedly, if you earned tons of cash over your $80k, it might be a problem. But then again, if you earned tons, you should be aware of the tricks of the trade and intricacies of off shore banking, I'd expect....
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Golly gee there I was thinking you took citizenship of another country because you really love it and want to live there happily ever after and so forth. I didn't realise it's actually about taxes, lugging the rellies over and airport queues. Blimey
Old Feb 19th 2006, 2:53 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lizzi
Golly gee there I was thinking you took citizenship of another country because you really love it and want to live there happily ever after and so forth. I didn't realise it's actually about taxes, lugging the rellies over and airport queues. Blimey
....if we were from a 3rd world country it might be about the former but as we are from good ol Britain it's obviously more about the latter
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lizzi
Exactly morally I think you should only take on citizenship if you really want to spend the rest of your days there.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly morally I think you should only take on citizenship if you really want to spend the rest of your days there.
Morally you would not have to deal with all the crap USCIS give you.

But morals have nothing to do with it.

You can relinquish citizenship, as you can PR status, so that only leaves Jury Duty. Which I believe is somewhat easy to avoid if you do not want to do it. Well I was told that juries where I am are populated by people too stupid to avoid it.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:29 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Bah. The world is not that perfect. You do what you have to do.

Me? I'm filing my citizenship stuff in 6 weeks.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:47 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Tax
You are now liable for US tax on your worldwide income if you leave the US.
What the piss? Can you explain this one a little more please?
Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:48 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
What the piss? Can you explain this one a little more please?
Yep - did you not know that
Old Feb 20th 2006, 3:49 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

That is exactly how I feel about it. I'm looking at doing the USC thing, but only to make life easier for our family. Does anyone remember how many years I have to wait after getting my GC to apply for Citizenship? I forget!

Unfortunately, I don't make the rules, I just *try* to play by them!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.