Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advantages/disadvantages of US citizenship

Wikiposts

Advantages/disadvantages of US citizenship

Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advantages/disadvantages of US citizenship

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Although I think it would make it easier for your daughter I don't think it would guarantee her USC.
She is already here with us, and I think I'm right in saying she automatically becomes a USC if I get citizenship. She is only 10 years old now, I think once she is over 15 (?) she would have to apply seperately.

Annette
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:22 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

ADVANTAGES...

Voting
Your chance to participate in steering America in the right direction.

Retaining residency and avoiding deportation
Naturalization is the only way to guarantee you have the right to remain in the US. PRs are at risk of losing their status if they spend long periods of time outside the US or commit certain, sometimes not very serious, crimes.

Bureaucracy
Your dealings with the US immigration authorities finally come to an end and you no longer have obligations, for example, to inform them of your change of address.

Government benefits
Some US permanent residents are restricted from access to public benefits. This is a continuing and deepening trend.

Immigration for family members
Unlike USCs, green card holders cannot sponsor parents or siblings, and USC receive priority for spouses and children.

Running for political office
Many types of elected positions require the officeholder to be a USC.

Tax
USCs and PRs are not always treated the same for tax purposes. This is particularly true for estate taxes. If both parties are USCs, then the estate passes from one party to the other without taxation. If both parties die, then the estate passes to whoever is named in the will or determined by probate court. In 2005, the first $1.5M are not taxed. From 2006 to 2011, the first $2M is protected from estate taxes. Beyond 2011, if congress does not extend the repeal, then only the first $650K is free of taxes.
However, for non-citizens, the rules are different and any estate over $650K is taxable.

Federal grants
Some federal grants are only available to US citizen applicants.

Federal jobs
Some government jobs require a USC, especially in the energy and defense sectors.

DISADVANTAGES...

Jury Duty
You can no longer escape this by ticking the non-citizen box

Dual citizenship
For a small minority of people, there may be dual citizenship issues. For most Brits, this is a not a problem. (See: http://www.richw.org/dualcit/)

Tax
You are now liable for US tax on your worldwide income if you leave the US.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:26 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
You have to actively swear loyalty to a State, which can be quite tough, depending on how one views the actions around the world of that State.
So, you're comfortable as a crown subject then?

At the end of the day, Brits hate the French, the French hate Americans, Americans hate the French and the French hate Brits. It's all good.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:32 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
The number one reason per USCIS for people becoming Citizens is so they can bring more of their brood over ...
Funny you mention that. My citizenship ceremony included about 15-20 mins presentation on how one can bring in a family member now that one is US citizen. It was of no interest to me. Why in the world would I bring in a family member from the UK, especially my Mum, when she has affordable healthcare in her home country? This is what I told the lady next to me whilst the USCIS Director of Charlotte office was rabbiting on about I-130s.

Having said that, the majority of new citizens in the room with me appeared to be from China, India, Vietnam and African nations.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:34 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Having said that, the majority of new citizens in the room with me appeared to be from China, India, Vietnam and African nations.NC Penguin
And some of them most certainly will take advantage of that benefit..
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:39 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
So, you're comfortable as a crown subject then?

Well that's exactly the thing. I was born there. Nobody asked my opinion, much less did they ask me to give my word about something. If I now had to stand up and actively take an oath to the Windsors (or even Blair ), I think I'd be in trouble.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's exactly the thing. I was born there. Nobody asked my opinion, much less did they ask me to give my word about something. If I now had to stand up and actively take an oath to the Windsors (or even Blair ), I think I'd be in trouble.

The oath of allegiance that new Britons take to the Queen isn't to her *personally* (and not to any of her family either) but rather in her capacity as Head of State.

And British people have been citizens (not subjects) since 1949.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:44 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'm with you on that one.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:47 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The oath of allegiance that new Britons take to the Queen isn't to her *personally* (and not to any of her family either) but rather in her capacity as Head of State.

Um, irony - you know, English and stuff.

The point is, one is born to a country which, as a State, may do things with which one disagrees. Mine has. But the act of standing up and actively swearing loyalty feels very different to just being born somewhere. Done it, I know.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 5:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Plus- no more USCIS
Can bring family over, but why would you?
Get to vote

Cons- Have to file US taxes even if you bugger off, so no fun working in a tax free country.
Another passport to have a naff photo in and cough up for
Old Feb 19th 2006, 5:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Tax
You are now liable for US tax on your worldwide income if you leave the US.

Not as much of a problem as it sounds, as if you are living in another Western country (such as the UK or Australia) then foreign income exclusions and foreign tax credits should ensure you don't have to pay much to the Americans (if anything).

More of an issue if you go to work in a "tax haven" (as Bob suggests) but how many people do that?
Old Feb 19th 2006, 5:54 am
JAJ
Retired

The point is, one is born to a country which, as a State, may do things with which one disagrees. Mine has. But the act of standing up and actively swearing loyalty feels very different to just being born somewhere. Done it, I know.

That's understood - however there is a difference between swearing allegiance to a *country* as opposed to whichever personality or political party is running the government of that country at the time.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
That's understood - however there is a difference between swearing allegiance to a *country* as opposed to whichever personality or political party is running the government of that country at the time.

Agreed - but then what is one swearing allegiance to? A patch of earth? I love England because it's a part of me, my culture, it's where I grew up, it will always be mine. One can't replicate that in another country.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 6:49 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the handiest is not standing in long lines at airports... especially heathrow!!

You can come and go as you please - feel like living somewhere in Europe only to return to the US.

If the US were ever to have a draft again... the youngins have a fall back, ofcourse equally screwed if UK does one too.

Taxes - yep you owe Uncle Sam whereever you are.... look into domicle status if applicable. Plan the estate accordingly especially with Real Estate... your home title (not deed) supercedes the will.

The French will still hate you regardless... no loss there.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:15 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We are seriously considering USC but would love to hear your views on the subject.
I think you have to weigh out your own pro's and cons....for me the biggest pro....so you can leave without the door slamming on your ass

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.