Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Adopting the slang

Adopting the slang

Old Aug 11th 2003, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

lanky1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adopting the slang

Ok, this has probably been posted before but as i'm pretty new i thought i'd add it...
I was just wondering what slang/swear words your US partner has adopted from you. My wife uses "bloody" "dodgy" "cheeky" and her favourite "bugger" all the time, much to the amusement of myself and our american friends!! Their have been times when we have been with friends talking and she has spouted "you cheeky bugger" to someone and the whole table has stopped and stared at her while i piss myself laughing. Its funny to me hearing my lovely Kentucky wife spouting Alf Garnett-like language in a southern accent!!
Old Aug 11th 2003, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Adopting the slang

Originally posted by lanky1980
Ok, this has probably been posted before but as i'm pretty new i thought i'd add it...
I was just wondering what slang/swear words your US partner has adopted from you. My wife uses "bloody" "dodgy" "cheeky" and her favourite "bugger" all the time, much to the amusement of myself and our american friends!! Their have been times when we have been with friends talking and she has spouted "you cheeky bugger" to someone and the whole table has stopped and stared at her while i piss myself laughing. Its funny to me hearing my lovely Kentucky wife spouting Alf Garnett-like language in a southern accent!!

LOL oh that's funny- I can just imagine!
It reminds me of a time my US relatives were visiting the UK for a summer holiday. It was the first time my US brother in law had visited England with his wife (my sister) and their 2 Daughters - so we did many touristy things for his sake. We decided to take him on a trip down memory lane, to the Essex seaside, to Clacton actually, where our parents had taken us as kids and in the evening we took him to play Cash Bingo. We took our seats in the busy bingo hall and CAREFULLY explained the rules to him at the table and made sure he understood what word to shout if he got all his numbers. The onus is on you - call LOUD and CLEAR okay. He understood and was raring to go!
The game began and I was totally engrossed in my game card as I listened to the caller... I just needed one more number and was hanging on every word in the otherwise silent room when suddenly we heard...... 'TOSSER' screamed across the room..... in an American accent!!!!!
My brother-in-law had won LMAO!!!
Old Aug 11th 2003, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

lanky1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by whatever
LOL oh that's funny- I can just imagine!
It reminds me of a time my US relatives were visiting the UK for a summer holiday. It was the first time my US brother in law had visited England with his wife (my sister) and their 2 Daughters - so we did many touristy things for his sake. We decided to take him on a trip down memory lane, to the Essex seaside, to Clacton actually, where our parents had taken us as kids and in the evening we took him to play Cash Bingo. We took our seats in the busy bingo hall and CAREFULLY explained the rules to him at the table and made sure he understood what word to shout if he got all his numbers. The onus is on you - call LOUD and CLEAR okay. He understood and was raring to go!
The game began and I was totally engrossed in my game card as I listened to the caller... I just needed one more number and was hanging on every word in the otherwise silent room when suddenly we heard...... 'TOSSER' screamed across the room..... in an American accent!!!!!
My brother-in-law had won LMAO!!!

Hilarious!!! It reminds me of the time i was in my geography class over here in the US, the teacher asked the class which country was the Cannes film festival in. Of course no one new (except me) and i shouted "France" in a very british accent. The whole class and techer looked at me like i was a new species with two sets of eyes. I looked at them all and said "you bunch of tossers" causing everyone to fall off their chairs laughing!! I too LMAO and i still see people in the hallways that say "france" in a british accent to me and walk off laughing!!
Old Aug 11th 2003, 4:30 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by whatever ... 'TOSSER' screamed across the room.....
Funniest thing I have read all day! Well done!
Old Aug 11th 2003, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

My fiance and my future step daughter now use Knackered or even Cream Crackered, most days when they come home from work lol. I'm working on the rest. They still laugh at me when we go grocery shopping and I ask "Shall I get a trolley?"
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:44 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

...... 'TOSSER' screamed across the room..... in an American accent!!!!!
What a great story to tell!
When my husband went out for a few drinks with his new colleagues for the first time, one of the guys decided to try and use the lingo saying "we're going to give him loads to drink tonight and get him really pissed off"..........er no, I hope not.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 8:10 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

There is a hotel near to us called "Salty Hammocks" and my wife calls it "Salty Bollocks" - does that answer your question.

Patrick
Old Aug 11th 2003, 8:20 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Patrick
There is a hotel near to us called "Salty Hammocks" and my wife calls it "Salty Bollocks" - does that answer your question.

Patrick
There are a handfull of shops and houses located at a 4 way stop about 15 miles outside of Portland OR called -

Wanker's Corner

Honest.

http://www.wankerscorner.com/

They sell t-shirts, and everything!
Old Aug 11th 2003, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Stumpyguy
There are a handfull of shops and houses located at a 4 way stop about 15 miles outside of Portland OR called -

Wanker's Corner

Honest.

Wankers Corner LOL LOL THAT is TOOOOOOO funny!!!!!
Old Aug 11th 2003, 8:37 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Wankers Corner LOL LOL THAT is TOOOOOOO funny!!!!!
... and according to the website, Wankers have been living there for over thirty years!
Old Aug 11th 2003, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick

Patrick

No, but it does tell us what living by the sea is doing to your body.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 8:48 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Wanker's Corner

Honest.

I'm thinking of getting the White T-Shirt with the Wankers Corner logo on the front, and "Grab Your Nuts At Wankers Corner" on the back.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 8:59 pm
gpc
Forum Regular

gpc is an unknown quantity at this point

Wanker's Corner

Honest.

That's pretty good all right.

To be fair, though, there's a Blue Ball Yard in St. James, London. You don't even have to be American to find that pretty amusing.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

... and according to the website, Wankers have been living there for over thirty years!

Wankers since 1933 no less!!!!
Old Aug 11th 2003, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

If I'd been doing it that long, it would have fallen off!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.