Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Adjustment of status

Adjustment of status

Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:44 pm
Paul NC

paulNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adjustment of status

I got married this week to American citizen. We are in North Carolina.
I came over on a visa waiver, I am British.
we have been friends for over a year and i just cam over to visit. But on this visit we decided we wanted to marry and be together.
When i initiall came over i had the intention of going back to the UK. Now i want to stay.
Is it ok to enter the US and marry on a V waiver. If we put in the forms for adjustment of status etc will the accept the fact that i entered without the intention of staying in the US perm.

Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adjustment of status

Originally Posted by paulNC
we have been friends for over a year and i just cam over to visit. But on this visit we decided we wanted to marry and be together.
When i initiall came over i had the intention of going back to the UK. Now i want to stay.
Is it ok to enter the US and marry on a V waiver. If we put in the forms for adjustment of status etc will the accept the fact that i entered without the intention of staying in the US perm.

Thanks
Hi Paul, Welcome to BE.

The VERY BEST thing you can do right now, is to have at least a 1-time consultation with an immigration attorney who can legally advise you. The path you are intending to follow has severe consequences if it does not go well (if your AOS is denied). Whether that's a risk you are willing to take, just depends on you, and it's best to have an attorney spell everything out to you.

I will say, my layman's opinion is that, the BETTER thing to do (i.e., no risk) is for you to return home and do a spouse Immigrant Visa.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

crosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud of

Thanks
Hey,
everybody can change his mind. You can file AOS becuase you married in a "spur of a moment". Many people did this in this forum -so did I.

It will be helpful if you add to your documentation things like return ticket and evidence for ties to the UK. I did this and the issue of pre-intent never came up.

However you will need at least a one-off consultation with a immigration attorney to get information about the risks involved to file AOS from VWP.

Also under any circumstances file your AOS within the 90 days of your VWP.

Do not overstay becasue this can/will add additional risks.

BTW if you take the risks is solely down to you and your wife! Good Luck

Hope this helps
CCR
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:56 pm
Paul NC

Thanks CCR.
Well i have the return ticket and i have some time left on VWP. We are looking to put the forms in straight away.
I know there are risks, but we have nothing to hide so i guess we may just go for it,
Did it work out well for you?
Paul
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I know there are risks, but we have nothing to hide so i guess we may just go for it
As long as you guys don't mind living in the UK, if it doesn't go well.

Rene
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:08 pm
Paul NC

Well thats a risk. But i will deal with that if it happens. Seem cheaper in England now anyway lol
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

crosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud of

Well thats a risk. But i will deal with that if it happens. Seem cheaper in England now anyway lol

Hey paul,
actually it did. In MY case the USCIS checked only if I had a bonafide marriage even if I applied earlier for a GC through employment.

But again this is MY case and every USCIS director has is own discretion how they want to treat each case.

A Immigration atttorney will help a lot to mitigate risks and avoid RFE'S ETC.

However if they decide to make your case exemplary you have no chance.

But obviously you are well aware of the risks and I wissh you all the best.

Kind regards
CCR

P.S. Also you can start your medical right away. This will avoid a RFE
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:47 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Many people have done this with no problem. However, when they do go wrong, they go wrong big time -- this is solely within the discretion of the DHS.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:51 pm
Paul NC

what does RFE stand for?
Paul
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

what does RFE stand for?
Paul
Request for evidence. happens when your documentation is not complete.

Usually you have 4 weeks to respond otherwise your case will be denied.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:11 pm

what does RFE stand for?
Paul
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Adjustment_of_Status

Look under the "Process" topic in the above link.

Rene
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:29 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

pNC,

Is it ok to enter the US and marry on a V waiver.
Yes.

If we put in the forms for adjustment of status etc will the accept the fact that i entered without the intention of staying in the US perm.
Maybe.

Regards, JEff
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is it ok to enter the US and marry on a V waiver.
Yes. However, it is illegal to enter the US with the intent to marry and stay to adjust your status. So... how do you prove you did not have prior intent? Answer = you can't, insofar as it is impossible to prove a negative. And make no mistake - the onus is on YOU to prove you did not have prior intent... not with USCIS to prove you did!

Most people who get married love their spouse enough to NOT do something stupid that would jeopardize both of their lives. Perhaps you have a high risk tolerance. Does your wife?

Ian
Old Feb 19th 2010, 2:51 pm
Paul NC

yes but i can prove i had a house and a job to go back to. Having to give all that up
Old Feb 19th 2010, 3:24 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

yes but i can prove i had a house and a job to go back to. Having to give all that up
To others in this forum: it is his life, not ours. "You may lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.