Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Adjusting to USA life

Adjusting to USA life

Old Apr 8th 2002, 2:51 pm
Vijay Thakar

Default Adjusting to USA life

Hi there,

Apologies in advance if this posting is in an inappropriate newsgroup. I am a big
soccer (Liverpool FC) fan and will be moving to USA from UK in the next few months.
Does anyone know how to get premiership football on tv over in the states? I've
travelled to the states several times and channels such as ESPN or Fox Sports simply
don't show the games. Don't tell me I'll have to pay per game to see all the
action?!

Thanks in advance. Vijay

Old Apr 8th 2002, 2:51 pm
Andy Platt

Default Re: Adjusting to USA life

"Vijay Thakar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Apologies in advance if this posting is in an inappropriate newsgroup. I am a big
    > soccer (Liverpool FC) fan and will be moving to USA from UK in the next few months.
    > Does anyone know how to get premiership football on tv over in the states? I've
    > travelled to the states several times and channels such as ESPN or Fox Sports
    > simply don't show the games. Don't tell me I'll have to pay per game to see all the
    > action?!

OK, I won't tell you that ... but you may have to pay quite a bit! I used to get the
season subscription on cable - you got one game a week (that they picked of course)
and a round-up of other action. That could also be paid for pay-per-view. You can
get a Fox world package on Direct TV (that's satellite) - no idea what you get for
that though.

Sports bars in major cities tend to show premiership games. Some channels also have
weekly round-up and highlights of games although these often come and go at a
moment's notice.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Apr 8th 2002, 3:52 pm
Dabear?

I am from Medicine Hat, Alberta, and If you have spent anytime in the British army I
am sure you know what is here. I know up here a lot of the boys have the Canadian
version of the Bell Expressview Sat TV, and some have the US Direct Sat. TV. They all
seem to be able to get the Premier League Games. Liverpool Rules!!!

Vijay Thakar wrote:

> Hi there,
    >
    > Apologies in advance if this posting is in an inappropriate newsgroup. I am a big
    > soccer (Liverpool FC) fan and will be moving to USA from UK in the next few months.
    > Does anyone know how to get premiership football on tv over in the states? I've
    > simply don't show the games. Don't tell me I'll have to pay per game to see all the
    > action?!
    >
    > Thanks in advance. Vijay

Old Apr 8th 2002, 5:51 pm
Denis Barlow

Hi Vijay,

I moved here in December last year. I'm a Man U fan (Yes I have been to Old
Trafford!!)

I live in Phoenix, Arizona and at the moment on Fox Sports World they are showing
Bolton/Ipswich and later on today they are showing Fulham/Newcastle. I watched
Leicester/Man U on Saturday. On average we get at least 3 premiership games a week
without going for the Pay Per View. Most Saturdays they will show a premiership match
and start it about 30 minutes after the match finishes but because it is not 'Live'
they don't put it on Pay Per View. They also have Sky Sports News every day.

Hope this helps

Denis.

"Vijay Thakar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > action?!
    >

Old Apr 8th 2002, 5:51 pm
Powerstroke'S G

Hi,

I don't know if this is another alternative for you. We don't get cable where we live
so what I did was buy an e-season ticket at http://www.liverpoolfc.tv and they show
all the Liverpool Premiership goals and a 10 minute highlights package of each game.
You get pre-match and post-match video with the manager and players and you also get
to listen to all the games (including non-Premiership) via live radio broadcast. It
costs 40 pounds per season and is worth it to keep up with my beloved team )

Sarah

[email protected] (Vijay Thakar) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] m>...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > action?!
    >

Old Apr 8th 2002, 8:50 pm
Xtrynytix

I moved here in December last year. I'm a Man U fan (Yes I have been to Old
Trafford!!)

Man United....tsk tsk! LOL!

(only teasing)

Arsenal fan here, been to Highbury more times that I can remember ) Come on you
Gooners rofl. )

Old Apr 8th 2002, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Richard1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been trying to find out about the football on US TV for a while now as I am moving to the US in June. To be honest it does'nt sound too good. I am really, really dreading giving up my season ticket to watch Liverpool which I have had for 15 seasons now but one concilation is the fact that in this the final season I can follow Liverpool I will see them win the premiership and the Champions league. Then last season I got to see them win the treble. Shit after all those years of **** all too, **** that Souness. Ahh well life goes on, and I am sure Liverpool will go on without me.
As the great Bill Shankly once said "Football is not a matter of life and death.... it's more important than that"
AS much as I admire him, he was in fact wrong and I am sure if he were alive today to see this ****ed up situation the world is in right now he would admit it too.
Go redmen!!

Rich

And for those of you who are going to reply to this post and complain it is not about visa issues, you know who you are Voight, don't bother you ain't gonna stop me writting on here!!
Old Apr 8th 2002, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a link to the schedule of games according to this all games will be shown on ESPN and ESPN2:

http://clairecreations.com/2002/ustv.cgi

I have investigated this for my fiance who loves soccer and will be coming here during the games. I have to pay to have ESPN2 so I am not sure if there will be any extra charge for the games?

Ali
Old Apr 8th 2002, 10:52 pm
Dabear?

and how many woolie backs do you have down there LOL

XtrynytiX wrote:

> I moved here in December last year. I'm a Man U fan (Yes I have been to Old
    > Trafford!!)
    >
    > Man United....tsk tsk! LOL!
    >
    > (only teasing)
    >
    > Arsenal fan here, been to Highbury more times that I can remember ) Come on you
    > Gooners rofl. )

Old Apr 8th 2002, 11:50 pm
Michael D. Youn

Richard1972 wrote:

> I've been trying to find out about the football on US TV for a while now as I am
    > moving to the US in June. To be honest it does'nt sound too good. I am really,
    > really dreading giving up my season ticket to watch Liverpool which I have had for
    > 15 seasons now but one concilation is the fact that in this the final season I can
    > follow Liverpool I will see them win the premiership and the Champions league. Then
    > last season I got to see them win the treble. Shit after all those years of ****
    > all too, **** that Souness. Ahh well life goes on, and I am sure Liverpool will go
    > on without me. As the great Bill Shankly once said "Football is not a matter of
    > life and death.... it's more important than that" AS much as I admire him, he was
    > in fact wrong and I am sure if he were alive today to see this ****ed up situation
    > the world is in right now he would admit it too. Go redmen!!
    >
    > Rich

Hi All!

First thing Rich it will now be called soccer. Football is something is else and
there is plenty every Sunday on TV in the Fall and part of the Winter.

Take care,

Mike

Old Apr 9th 2002, 12:50 am
Dabear?

here here Rich, keep up the great British spirit when it comes to Football. I live in
an Alberta City where about 5000 to 6000 Brits show up every year to train on the
base here, lots of them marry Canadian women, and I will tell you, if it came down to
have someone help you out in a bad time, the brits are there front and center without
even asking a thing.

Richard1972 wrote:

> I've been trying to find out about the football on US TV for a while now as I am
    > moving to the US in June. To be honest it does'nt sound too good. I am really,
    > really dreading giving up my season ticket to watch Liverpool which I have had for
    > 15 seasons now but one concilation is the fact that in this the final season I can
    > follow Liverpool I will see them win the premiership and the Champions league. Then
    > last season I got to see them win the treble. Shit after all those years of ****
    > all too, **** that Souness. Ahh well life goes on, and I am sure Liverpool will go
    > on without me. As the great Bill Shankly once said "Football is not a matter of
    > life and death.... it's more important than that" AS much as I admire him, he was
    > in fact wrong and I am sure if he were alive today to see this ****ed up situation
    > the world is in right now he would admit it too. Go redmen!!
    >
    > Rich
    >
    > And for those of you who are going to reply to this post and complain it is not
    > about visa issues, you know who you are Voight, don't bother you ain't gonna stop
    > me writting on here!!
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 9th 2002, 1:54 am
Xtrynytix

GGGGGGrrrrrrrrrr! lol

To us Brits it's Football !!!!!! regardless of where we are in the world......lol

Old Apr 9th 2002, 9:57 am
Vijay Thakar

Thanks everyone,

The information (even from Man Utd fans) is very useful. It seems there are a couple
of cable/satellite channels that show soccer games and I'll investigate further. Once
I've moved to the states and am watching games succesfully I'll post my
observations/experiences. In the mean time...come on the reds!! Everything in the
premiership seems to be boiling down to Arsenal's game against Man U.

Best wishes, Vijay

Old Apr 9th 2002, 3:50 pm
Simon Jessey

<Arsenal fan here, been to Highbury more times that I can remember ) Come on you
Gooners rofl.>

Ouch! Spurs fan here, and you bastards beat us with an iffy refereeing decision at
the weekend.

Simon Jessey

See my timeline and get K1 / AOS info at my website:- http://jessey.net/visa

Old Apr 9th 2002, 3:50 pm
Grahame And Lau

[email protected] (Vijay Thakar) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...
    > Thanks everyone,
    >
    > The information (even from Man Utd fans) is very useful. It seems there are a
    > couple of cable/satellite channels that show soccer games and I'll investigate
    > further. Once I've moved to the states and am watching games succesfully I'll post
    > my observations/experiences. In the mean time...come on the reds!! Everything in
    > the premiership seems to be boiling down to Arsenal's game against Man U.
    >
    > Best wishes, Vijay

Y'all realize it's baseball season, don't you?

Laura (of Grahame and Laura)

K-1 app. mailed 1/24/2002. First NOA received 2/4/2002 (dated 1/28). Approval via
automated phone line 2/13. Sydney consulate cabled 2/14. Packet 3 received 2/20.
Request for police certificate mailed to New Scotland Yard 3/13. Request for
police certificate received back from New Scotland Yard asking for additional ID
4/3. Request for police certificate with additional ID mailed back to New
Scotland Yard 4/3.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.