Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Adjusting from UK to US

Adjusting from UK to US

Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:18 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adjusting from UK to US

Originally Posted by jumping doris
No, you have to go. It is your job to tame the natives.....take plenty of Hersheys chocolate.
Send for the rest of us when it's safe, when you have got rid of the smelly, unwashed people, teenage pregnant mums, swearing yobs and motorway cafes. Did I miss anything?
Sorry.........are you describing England or an US mill-town?

........do you HONESTLY think they'd believe the US is anything but shangri-la? Yeah, right..........
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:18 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
That's the answer then, thank you. You pay indirectly.

I should define what I say more, I meant senior level education and I suppose I don't know many people who live in truely rural areas. I know the grammar schools do, but that's exam entrance.

It's just a question I ask people if the topic comes up and I've rarely heard anyone say less than 28 for state funded education.
I'm lost agin...it's easily done.
I don't live in a rural area. I live 20 mins from the centre of Pittsburgh, in the 'burbs.
I didn't live in a rural area in the UK either...15 mins from the centre of Liverpool.
Where I lived in the UK we still had the 11+ to get into the grammar schools.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:22 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
Sorry.........are you describing England or an US mill-town?

........do you HONESTLY think they'd believe the US is anything but shangri-la? Yeah, right..........
No, I'm just quoting Mid West Bob from the other thread.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:23 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

They are township schools so they are not private but we pay an arm and a leg in property taxes. You can only attend the schools if you live in the township but thats standard I gather in the US. It is strictly enforced as well.

Our primary school in the UK had classes of 22 and the local girls grammar school had classes in the mid 20's

I'm not sure what you don't get
Township usually implies NJ.........I suppose thats where you are. We once paid tuition for my daughter to attend a state school in NY in a different town in order for her to see out the rest of the year with her friends.........we'd just gone from renting to owning you see.

The cost was about equiv. to a private school and although we were now paying city, school and county taxes, it wasn't in the same town and therefore she had zero access to being bussed in........despite the tuition.

Are you sure you dont have this option?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:26 pm
Who?

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
Township usually implies NJ.........I suppose thats where you are. We once paid tuition for my daughter to attend a state school in NY in a different town in order for her to see out the rest of the year with her friends.........we'd just gone from renting to owning you see.

The cost was about equiv. to a private school and although we were now paying city, school and county taxes, it wasn't in the same town and therefore she had zero access to being bussed in........despite the tuition.

Are you sure you dont have this option?
We are in PA. Lots of the little suburb areas are called ".....Township"
We moved here for the schools because they are among the best in the state and so we just pay our property taxes and
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

I'm lost agin...it's easily done.
I don't live in a rural area. I live 20 mins from the centre of Pittsburgh, in the 'burbs.
I didn't live in a rural area in the UK either...15 mins from the centre of Liverpool.
Where I lived in the UK we still had the 11+ to get into the grammar schools.
Infant & junior schools, or whatever they are called locally are far more likely to have lower class sizes. Private schools, at whatever age of education are more likely to, as with schools requiring entrance exams to be sat. Rural areas are more likely to just because there's less kids.

You were describing your kids high school conditions and I was meaning to keep a direct comparison.

I was saying that as far as plain ordinary, no exams required state funded secondary education goes, I have rarely heard people say they have class sizes below 28.

Obviously that's not the case all over so I was asking why it was different where you are. The whole township restriction, high tax etc explanation answered my question.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:33 pm
Who?

Infant & junior schools, or whatever they are called locally are far more likely to have lower class sizes. Private schools, at whatever age of education are more likely to, as with schools requiring entrance exams to be sat. Rural areas are more likely to just because there's less kids.

You were describing your kids high school conditions and I was meaning to keep a direct comparison.

I was saying that as far as plain ordinary, no exams required state funded secondary education goes, I have rarely heard people say they have class sizes below 28.

Obviously that's not the case all over so I was asking why it was different where you are. The whole township restriction, high tax etc explanation answered my question.
Where are you? UK or US? or somewhere else?
Our high school is big,much bigger than the secondary schools we used in the UK but class sizes are smaller.
The amount our high school spends on the football team would keep some small countries afloat!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you? UK or US? or somewhere else?
Our high school is big,much bigger than the secondary schools we used in the UK but class sizes are smaller.
The amount our high school spends on the football team would keep some small countries afloat!
Currently in the middle east, previously US for a short while, partners a USC.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:07 pm
Who?

Currently in the middle east, previously US for a short while, partners a USC.
Are you heading back here eventually?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Are you heading back here eventually?

Not if I can help it, the issues kinda causing major issues at the mo.

I had originally come over on the VWP, and we were planning the K1 route. For many, many reasons it did not come together. I did another couple of months a bit later in 2005, but then OH was offered a contract in Qatar.

We took it to get out of the VA problem, and tbh, its great money. I however, have had mixed experiences in Doha, HR out there isnt quite like our worlds.

It's time for me, well us, to make some serious decisions. I hear Leeds_Lass' posts, and that knot in my stomach tightens.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:58 pm
Who?

Not if I can help it, the issues kinda causing major issues at the mo.

I had originally come over on the VWP, and we were planning the K1 route. For many, many reasons it did not come together. I did another couple of months a bit later in 2005, but then OH was offered a contract in Qatar.

We took it to get out of the VA problem, and tbh, its great money. I however, have had mixed experiences in Doha, HR out there isnt quite like our worlds.

It's time for me, well us, to make some serious decisions. I hear Leeds_Lass' posts, and that knot in my stomach tightens.
Good Luck.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good Luck.
thank you