Reload this Page >

Accountant position in Atlanta

Accountant position in Atlanta

Old May 9th 2007, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

yadaramola is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Accountant position in Atlanta

I am new to this, so please be gentle:

I am currently looking for an accountancy job in Atlanta for my hubby and was just wondering if there are any UK accountants working over in Atlanta with any tips for getting jobs over there.

My husband is a chartered accountant (ACCA) with 16 years of accountancy experience ..

Any advice will be grateful and helpful. Thanks

Old May 9th 2007, 5:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accountant position in Atlanta

Is the visa sorted? Otherwise we're pie in the sky!
Old May 9th 2007, 6:22 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome,

The visa is the biggest issue that confronts you. Check out the wiki at the top of the page and see if you qualify for a visa before considering cities to live, how much it costs, etc. The visa issue stops about 99% of those who want to come to live in the USA (it is extremely difficult to obtain unless you fall into one of the categories listed).
Old May 9th 2007, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

If he works for one of the big boys, Deloitte etc., he might be able to get a transfer across.
Old May 9th 2007, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
If he works for one of the big boys, Deloitte etc., he might be able to get a transfer across.
My Brother did a stint in NY, in his auditing days working for one of the big boys.

Depends on the field and whether his skill set would warrant a transfer.
Old May 9th 2007, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

yadaramola is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for reminding me about the dreaded word VISA, I should have asked if anyone knows a company that can sponsor his visa application. I have looked on the website for sponsors, but most sites ask for payment and it is difficult to know which payment sites are genuine. I don't mind paying if it is. Do you know of any genuine websites that I can check for job sponsors?

Many thanks for your response.
Old May 9th 2007, 6:58 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yadaramola
Thanks for reminding me about the dreaded word VISA, I should have asked if anyone knows a company that can sponsor his visa application. I have looked on the website for sponsors, but most sites ask for payment and it is difficult to know which payment sites are genuine. I don't mind paying if it is. Do you know of any genuine websites that I can check for job sponsors?

Okay -- we're pie in sky. Try OZ or NZ.
Old May 9th 2007, 7:19 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It seems your best bet would be an intra-company transfer working for a big accounting firm in the US and the UK. Another thread (just today) was speaking about how the H-1 visa category is already filled for the next year so I think most of those sites you see on google are bunk.
Old May 9th 2007, 7:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

companies that ask you to pay to sort out a visa are basically scams....and H1B long filled up, so you wouldn't be able to find a sponsoring company that'll be able to apply till next April for the following Oct start next year....unless you find a position within a uni as they aren't restricted to the quota.

best bet is a company transfer, but you need to have worked there for a year and probably either have niche skills or be quite high up there for them to bother with the cost involved.
Old May 9th 2007, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The company that is hiring you HAS to sponsor the application and they cannot ask for payment. Any person or service that says they can get you, or help you get, a work visa is either a complete scam and you will just loose your money or is offering something that you can do you yourself for free, like write a resume.
Old May 9th 2007, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

I am new to this, so please be gentle:

I am currently looking for an accountancy job in Atlanta for my hubby and was just wondering if there are any UK accountants working over in Atlanta with any tips for getting jobs over there.

My husband is a chartered accountant (ACCA) with 16 years of accountancy experience ..

Any advice will be grateful and helpful. Thanks

Your options might be better if you were open to working in the US in general. The likelihood of getting an accountancy job in ATL is probably 1 in a million.

Employers would not consider you unless you or your husband was eligible to work (e.g. have Green Cards or if one or both of you is a US citizen). This is excluding the visa issue.
Old May 9th 2007, 8:36 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Celsius
Your options might be better if you were open to working in the US in general. The likelihood of getting an accountancy job in ATL is probably 1 in a million.

Employers would not consider you unless you or your husband was eligible to work (e.g. have Green Cards or if one or both of you is a US citizen). This is excluding the visa issue.
Plus -- to work as an accountant he would need to be state licensed and take the CPA. But it's all crap...coz they ain't coming anyway.
Old May 9th 2007, 11:52 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

why Atlanta?
kinda limiting yourself.
Old May 10th 2007, 12:06 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
why Atlanta?
kinda limiting yourself.
Give the OP a break. He didn't mention the F word or the O word...
Old May 10th 2007, 12:07 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Give the OP a break. He didn't mention the F word or the O word...
it usually takes a few negative responses before they tell us to F O.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.