Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Accommodation in NYC

Accommodation in NYC

Old May 17th 2017, 4:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accommodation in NYC

Originally Posted by NYer
No one has called Staten Island "Richmond" since Aaron Burr died. There is a neighborhood in Queens called Richmond Hill. My husband's grandparents lived there.
Whatever you may think, it was the borough of Richmond until the mid-seventies, and MarylandNed agrees that it is still the County of Richmond, and is called that in every legal document that cites that jurisdiction.
Old May 17th 2017, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Whatever you may think, it was the borough of Richmond until the mid-seventies, and MarylandNed agrees that it is still the County of Richmond, and is called that in every legal document that cites that jurisdiction.
To be frank, I didn't even know they no longer called it County of Richmond. As a Manhattanite, I typically never think about Staten Island.
Old May 17th 2017, 4:46 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NYer
To be frank, I didn't even know they no longer called it County of Richmond. As a Manhattanite, I typically never think about Staten Island.
I thought you said you lived in NJ?
Old May 18th 2017, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
Hey, we had airbnb for ~18 nights, best and longest we could find at the time in the area and for the dates. Actually there was nothing available then one popped up, so we nabbed it immediately.

Was a risk, but we arrived very late Wednesday, by Friday had searched for some ideas, on sat we did some walk-ins then went back Sunday to see new apartment just available. Liked it so applied, took secured deposit checks following weekend after application was successful. Move in date was the 12th, when it was first available, we'd first looked about 12 days previously. I think it would have gone quickly had we not applied straight away before it was advertised, so was a lucky find. Apartment available 12th, our airbnb last day was to 14th, pretty sweet, but lucky.

Didn't think we'd find somewhere so quickly that we liked so much. Did think it would have taken longer and run right up to the end. It helped that I'd already looked at apartments recently and so kinda knew what to expect and when to grab a good deal vs. sit on it for too long.

Unfurnished is a pain initially but after a couple of weeks you get what you need and it's nice to have your own stuff

For future reference a $20 inflatable matress served well until the real one turned up. We got the bedding we wanted and sufficed on the inflatable just on the floor as a stop gap. Worked out well for a few days to bridge the gap. Was a bit like being a student all over again though 😂 but the new matress is amazing, talk about appreciating what you don't have 😄
Ahh well at least you have made me feel a little better that a month is more then enough! Just have to be hardcore with the apartment searching as soon as we get there. I have been looking at places already so I have an idea of whats a good deal and what we need to jump on. Any apps or websites you recommend to look at?

I think we'll need to get a air mattress to tie us over! We plan to invest in a great bed as over the years these bed's you get in furnished places are always awful! Lol..
Old May 18th 2017, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I thought you said you lived in NJ?
I have a home in NJ (Central) and a small rental apt. in Murray Hill. Prior to that, I lived in NYC for 20 years - hence my name.