Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Accessing money from my UK bank account while in the US

Accessing money from my UK bank account while in the US

Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

aklor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accessing money from my UK bank account while in the US

hi everyone, I have a question regarding money. I notice there is a similar thread lurking about, titled 'Moving Money from UK to US'.....but I think my question is slightly different. (I may be wrong though)

I had my K1 Visa approved last month. I'm flying over to the US next week. I want to know what the best way is of accessing money from my UK bank account when I get there.

My account is with HSBC, it is a current account. If I use random ATM machines to withdraw money, I will be charged a fee each time by my HSBC right?

Old Jun 21st 2010, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accessing money from my UK bank account while in the US

You probably will be charged a fee (possibly not if you can find a local HSBC ATM). But yes, without sending money across via XE.com or similar, using your card is the most convenient way until you get a local account established. If you take out pretty big chunks of money each time ($300-$400, say), the impact of the fee will be less.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 4:56 pm
Rev
Just Joined

Rev is just really niceRev is just really niceRev is just really niceRev is just really niceRev is just really niceRev is just really niceRev is just really niceRev is just really nice

Originally Posted by aklor
hi everyone, I have a question regarding money. I notice there is a similar thread lurking about, titled 'Moving Money from UK to US'.....but I think my question is slightly different. (I may be wrong though)

I had my K1 Visa approved last month. I'm flying over to the US next week. I want to know what the best way is of accessing money from my UK bank account when I get there.

My account is with HSBC, it is a current account. If I use random ATM machines to withdraw money, I will be charged a fee each time by my HSBC right?

I can tell you that I use my HSBC credit/debit card at local stores and restaurants all the time with no problems. Never tried cashback through. Best to open a new account when you get to the US, bring money over with you and deposit it. If your account is active and recieving funding then use your debit card to purchase *and with the exchange rate you'll be laughing*
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rev
I can tell you that I use my HSBC credit/debit card at local stores and restaurants all the time with no problems. Never tried cashback through. Best to open a new account when you get to the US, bring money over with you and deposit it. If your account is active and recieving funding then use your debit card to purchase *and with the exchange rate you'll be laughing*
I don't think so.

£1 will buy you about $1.45 these days, whereas less than 2 years ago, it would buy you $1.80-$2.00.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

If you have time, set up a Nationwide Flex Account and put the money in it. You can use the debit card here with no charges (from nationwide, you will still pay an ATM charge of about $2 that everyone has to pay if the ATM isn't with their bank) and get close to the bank exchange rate.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 9:39 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Also make sure your bank knows that you will be using the card over here, or they may stop it.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 9:40 pm
Rev
Just Joined

Rev is just really niceRev is just really niceRev is just really niceRev is just really niceRev is just really niceRev is just really niceRev is just really niceRev is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
I don't think so.

£1 will buy you about $1.45 these days, whereas less than 2 years ago, it would buy you $1.80-$2.00.
Point take, for me it's better because I have to send money back to pay off an old loan, I took the gamble the rates would drop and left the loan where it was, rather than go up and it's been paying me back ever since. I used to wire back money through Washington Mutual which became Chase which was free. Next month I may have to pay for my first wire in 3 years
Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Damo2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can bring $10,000 cash into the country with you, risky I know carrying that amount, but could save you issues with card exchanges. The rates are not too bad through cards, but not as good as TORfx or the other exchange folk - normally about 1-1.5 cents below the central bank rates advertised online etc (not your tourist rate, quite a bit higher!!). The minimum amount you can exchange from sterling to dollars is 5,000 pounds.

My advice, bring over $'s what you would need to survive a month or so. You will not be able to open a bank account until you have your social security number and just by the way (normally takes 2-3 weeks after arrival). Your UK credit rating will not exist over here - i.e. to get a US credit card, you will have to go for a pre-paid one for the first 5-6 months to build your credit status! Also speak to your HSBC bank - they may be able to set you one up over here for when you arrive and you can transfer cash straight away into that one and you would have no issue!

Good luck!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Damo2010
You can bring $10,000 cash into the country with you...
With respect, you can bring ANY amount of cash into the US. However, if you bring in $10,000 or more you must declare the amount.

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
With respect, you can bring ANY amount of cash into the US. However, if you bring in $10,000 or more you must declare the amount.

Ian
Correct, but you would avoid customs and excise issues, hence the limit I suggested.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:20 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Correct, but you would avoid customs and excise issues, hence the limit I suggested.
Fair enough... but I'm not sure what issues you're talking about. There's no taxes... nothing to pay, and the form is fairly straight forward.

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Fair enough... but I'm not sure what issues you're talking about. There's no taxes... nothing to pay, and the form is fairly straight forward.

Ian

If you carry cash, a Customs and Border Protection official may assume you are doing something illegal. This may cause problems as you pass through Immigration and Customs. Additional problems may arise later if and when you deposit that cash into a U.S. bank account. Large sums of cash deposited into a bank account are reported to the IRS.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

If you carry cash, a Customs and Border Protection official may assume you are doing something illegal.
That's why you complete form 4790.

This may cause problems as you pass through Immigration and Customs.
There is no Immigration and Customs. What used to be two separate agencies is now all part of CBP.

Large sums of cash deposited into a bank account are reported to the IRS.
Yes - as part of the RICO laws on money laundering.

I understand your caution, but I think you're trying to make an issue out of something that really isn't one.

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

That's why you complete form 4790.

There is no Immigration and Customs. What used to be two separate agencies is now all part of CBP.

Yes - as part of the RICO laws on money laundering.

I understand your caution, but I think you're trying to make an issue out of something that really isn't one.

Ian
Well, you learn something new every day. How long since they made the change?
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dunroving
How long since they made the change?
The CBP was formed in 2003... so, 7 years.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.