Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

About to sell UK home

About to sell UK home

Old Jan 31st 2016, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About to sell UK home

The 988 transaction is an entirely separate tax event to the sale of the property. The question is: is a 988 transaction an investment? I don't know the answer to that. It's only an issue if your income takes you over the NIIT threshold.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

jimakos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by theOAP
The 988 transaction is an entirely separate tax event to the sale of the property. The question is: is a 988 transaction an investment? I don't know the answer to that. It's only an issue if your income takes you over the NIIT threshold.
Well if 250k is the threshold then i'll be impacted. But it was not an investment. It was my main home.
If it was considered an investment then wont the other QBU factors count? (Using a non functional currency?)
Old Jan 31st 2016, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

The question has nothing to do with the property. The question is about a gain on a foreign debt obligation. Is a gain on a foreign debt obligation considered an investment gain? Probably not, but it should be confirmed.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

jimakos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by theOAP
The question has nothing to do with the property. The question is about a gain on a foreign debt obligation. Is a gain on a foreign debt obligation considered an investment gain? Probably not, but it should be confirmed.
I was referring to my income and not anything from the sale. I believe all the "horror" stories i heard form colleagues only had an FX gain on the mortgage disposal, no other additional taxes but I might be wrong.