Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

About to leave it all behind!

About to leave it all behind!

Old Dec 27th 2011, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About to leave it all behind!

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'm thinking of having it buried with me, alongside all my household staff & concubines.
Funnily enough, Marmite is one of the very few things I still seek out after 28 years away ... You can get Marmite here now pretty easily in many stores, but my biggest treat is 'twiglets' ... had my family bring over bags and bags of those!
Old Dec 27th 2011, 8:22 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
but my biggest treat is 'twiglets' ... had my family bring over bags and bags of those!
http://www.amazon.com/Jacobs-Origina...5020834&sr=8-1
Old Dec 27th 2011, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Item added to my cart !!! Thanks. Pricey but I'll enjoy them ...
Old Dec 28th 2011, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Steerpike
It's fun to speculate on such matters, but in reality, your success/failure in adapting to your new surroundings will depend to some extent on how well you stop thinking about the 'old ways' and embrace the 'new ways'.

For what it's worth, I think the two things you may miss in South Carolina are religious indifference and mild summers!
This is true. After several years over here, the only thing I still really miss is decent radio programming. And a decent local news TV broadcast.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

ohwottodo is an unknown quantity at this point

i miss proper bacon and sausages
nhs
walking to the shops
proper roast dinner (its just not the same here)
british food in general

but.. the weather is beautiful
the people are happier
they pack your groceries for you
customer service is generally so much better than in the UK
the quality of life if you can make it work is so much better!
Old Jan 10th 2012, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohwottodo
nhs
walking to the shops
british food in general

the people are happier

I miss those things too...I would love to sit down to a 'proper' Sunday roast lamb lunch, it's way too expensive here to buy lamb and it doesn't taste the same.

I really don't find people here (generally) to be happier, nor the customer service any better, just more invasaive.

I would really like to be able to travel more here and see more of the US, but we never seem to have the time. Recently we have decided to forget hubby working another 15 yrs to get another 20 year gov't retirement (he already earned his military one) and we are going to sell up everything we 'own' and buy a 5th wheel, we are bound and determined to enjoy the rest of the time we have left doing what we had planned to do 15 yrs from now, while we still can. Can't wait to buggar off and see more of this huge Country and enjoy some peace and quiet.

Hubby is deployed at the mo' but will be back in May, meanwhile, I am off to Canada on Thursday, CA on the 23rd for 3 weeks to help inlaws move, then back to Canada till late April. Have vacation booked to Hawaii in August to visit our oldest Son too I can't wait!

no regrets, no excuses.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohwottodo
nhs
walking to the shops
british food in general

the people are happier
Barely in Santa Clara county (Silicon Valley) since the beginning of the year. A new law was passed that the stores have to charge a "disposable bag fee" of 5 cents each so most of the time they just hand you the items unless you have a big order and then they ask if you want them bagged.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Those are nice, too - but here in Illinois, I'd just settle for some elevation, then I'll deal with obstructed views .

Sea air, too. I never thought I'd miss the smell of the sea air until I couldn't smell it anymore.
Spend a weekend in Jo Davies County (Galena) aka "The Illinois Rockies."

Not exactly elevated, but, there are some rolling hills and "The Irish Cottage" Hotel, that puts on some great entertainment of a weekend.

Jim.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:02 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Spend a weekend in Jo Davies County (Galena) aka "The Illinois Rockies."

Not exactly elevated, but, there are some rolling hills and "The Irish Cottage" Hotel, that puts on some great entertainment of a weekend.

Jim.
That's out west, right, near Iowa? Furthest out that way we've been is Sterling/Rock Falls. Does get a bit hillier out that way.

We went to the House on the Rock up in WI a couple of times last year, it is nice and hilly there right enough ...
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart2
I miss those things too...I would love to sit down to a 'proper' Sunday roast lamb lunch, it's way too expensive here to buy lamb and it doesn't taste the same.

I really don't find people here (generally) to be happier, nor the customer service any better, just more invasaive.

I would really like to be able to travel more here and see more of the US, but we never seem to have the time. Recently we have decided to forget hubby working another 15 yrs to get another 20 year gov't retirement (he already earned his military one) and we are going to sell up everything we 'own' and buy a 5th wheel, we are bound and determined to enjoy the rest of the time we have left doing what we had planned to do 15 yrs from now, while we still can. Can't wait to buggar off and see more of this huge Country and enjoy some peace and quiet.

Hubby is deployed at the mo' but will be back in May, meanwhile, I am off to Canada on Thursday, CA on the 23rd for 3 weeks to help inlaws move, then back to Canada till late April. Have vacation booked to Hawaii in August to visit our oldest Son too I can't wait!

no regrets, no excuses.
You Go Girl!!! - Shit, I used an American phrase

Jim.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

That's out west, right, near Iowa? Furthest out that way we've been is Sterling/Rock Falls. Does get a bit hillier out that way.

We went to the House on the Rock up in WI a couple of times last year, it is nice and hilly there right enough ...
Go up I-90 to Rockford and then West on US 20 to Galena. I live in Dubuque, just across the Mississippi. That's the closest I can get to sea-air, when I'm at home.

Jim.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:09 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Go up I-90 to Rockford and then West on US 20 to Galena. I live in Dubuque, just across the Mississippi. That's the closest I can get to sea-air, when I'm at home.

Jim.
We used to take Rt.20 from Huntley to Rockford, then get on Rt.2 to get to Sterling. There's a big contrast between the flat farmland on 20 and the winding, hillier road by the Rock river on Rt.2 (with a series of views of the Byron nuclear plant ...). Shame the relatives that used to live out that way moved to Texas, it was a nice drive!
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

I should add that Dubuque has quite an Air-Show and Fireworks Display, every year on July 3rd.

Here's a youtube clip, from part of this years air-display, which I missed becaused I was away working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64-GUrxs9EI

Jim.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:12 am
I have a comma problem

I should add that Dubuque has quite an Air-Show and Fireworks Display, every year on July 3rd.

Here's a youtube clip, from part of this years air-display, which I missed becaused I was away working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64-GUrxs9EI

Jim.
Ah, an air show. Think I'll slip that one in when the Mrs is looking for 'summer trip ideas' again this year. Oshkosh to, methinks ...
Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Originally Posted by King Gimp
Decent curry, half decent vacation time at Christmas, NHS.

Thats it though!
Target does a bang up job. Archer farms curries are really good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.