Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

About to leave it all behind!

Wikiposts

About to leave it all behind!

Old Dec 23rd 2011, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About to leave it all behind!

I miss most of the things already stated. I really really miss Christmas.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 12:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob

I love the weather in New England!
The two days of spring and autumn don't count, when the rest of the seasons are mud season
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:28 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
I miss most of the things already stated. I really really miss Christmas.
Christmas is about the only thing I miss, I love living here so much but come Christmas I miss home and family...

So I take myself off skiing for the day and suddenly feel so much better!!
Old Dec 24th 2011, 12:09 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The two days of spring and autumn don't count, when the rest of the seasons are mud season
Yes I really agree with this. I really miss spring in England. Starts in January, gradually builds up with the various wildflowers until the bluebells flower. Here we have snow and ice one day then mosquitoes and ninety degrees within a week. And pretty boring wildflowers except the ladyslippers..
Old Dec 24th 2011, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh so many things...the milder climate, the extremes of temperature here are just too extreme for me. You might find this odd but I really miss a big gale with window rattling high winds. Here it would be called a hurricane.

Using your own body as a method of transportation and the feeling of well-being that comes with walking everywhere.

Banter and humor, people here don't do banter.

Proper tea, even though I have PG tips and an electric kettle the tea here just doesn't taste the same.

Family and friends.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Good luck! Have a lovely Christmas. Hope you enjoy everything, really!
Old Dec 24th 2011, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

I miss...

Double digit humidity
The sea
Walking to the pub... Or town...
Seasons
Grey skies - once in a while
Decent ham
Affordable lamb
Real English ale

On the upside, not having the above makes room for new experiences...
Old Dec 24th 2011, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Chugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to behold

Christmas is tough. No two ways about it. I've been here over twelve years and always get to feeling like something is missing on Christmas Eve. Knowing that I have to head back to work on Monday just sucks. Still, making the best of it at present, eating my cheese and Marmite toasted sarnies and listening to Planet Rock.
Old Dec 25th 2011, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Specifically, mountains and hills from which you have a view, without having to get above the tree line. Here in the northeast there are way too many TREES.
Funny you should mention that! One of my workmates here in Scottsdale was raised in Oregon, and he much prefers the desert landscape of Arizona; he said the problem in Oregon is, there are trees everywhere and you never get a view! He's now my hiking buddy and has introduced me to the hundreds of trails in and around Scottsdale (one of the best public trail systems I've ever encountered, anywhere). In all but the hot months, I can go wandering for hours at a time through gorgeous (and different!) landscape (he continues through the hot months by getting up before sunrise, but that's not quite on my agenda yet!).
Attached Thumbnails About to leave it all behind!-p1020753-mod-sml1200.jpg   About to leave it all behind!-p1020125-mod-sml1200.jpg  
Old Dec 25th 2011, 9:18 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Funny you should mention that! One of my workmates here in Scottsdale was raised in Oregon, and he much prefers the desert landscape of Arizona; he said the problem in Oregon is, there are trees everywhere and you never get a view! He's now my hiking buddy and has introduced me to the hundreds of trails in and around Scottsdale (one of the best public trail systems I've ever encountered, anywhere). In all but the hot months, I can go wandering for hours at a time through gorgeous (and different!) landscape (he continues through the hot months by getting up before sunrise, but that's not quite on my agenda yet!).
Beautiful photos, thanks Steerpike! I love Dartmoor, the Brecon Beacons, and the Lake District for walks and spectacular, treeless views but I'm guessing the weather in the Scottsdale vicinity is more predictable.
Old Dec 25th 2011, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

janicedean164 will become famous soon enoughjanicedean164 will become famous soon enough

Some good replies.

I think just being able to walk into town or just down to the shops will become something I miss, though if we can get the apartment we are looking at, we have a built in gym, golf course & both indoor & outdoor pools & then with the added benefit of I believe a Food Lion just opposite as well.

So we will see, but things I know I will miss will be:

My Local Pub
Marmite
Lamb(Good cut for a good price, lol)

Though its was to early for anything to be missed even moreso as we brought in 2 lots of Marmite in our luggage!
Old Dec 26th 2011, 12:17 am
Heading for Poppyland

I have a small jar of Marmite in the kitchen, has a sell-by date of December 2002!
Old Dec 26th 2011, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janicedean164
Some good replies.

I think just being able to walk into town or just down to the shops will become something I miss, though if we can get the apartment we are looking at, we have a built in gym, golf course & both indoor & outdoor pools & then with the added benefit of I believe a Food Lion just opposite as well.

So we will see, but things I know I will miss will be:

My Local Pub
Marmite
Lamb(Good cut for a good price, lol)

Though its was to early for anything to be missed even moreso as we brought in 2 lots of Marmite in our luggage!
It's fun to speculate on such matters, but in reality, your success/failure in adapting to your new surroundings will depend to some extent on how well you stop thinking about the 'old ways' and embrace the 'new ways'.

For what it's worth, I think the two things you may miss in South Carolina are religious indifference and mild summers!
Old Dec 26th 2011, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I have a small jar of Marmite in the kitchen, has a sell-by date of December 2002!
Ah ... but that's only the sell by date - the Marmite itself should probably be good for at least another 20 years or so ...
Old Dec 27th 2011, 12:08 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by md95065
Ah ... but that's only the sell by date - the Marmite itself should probably be good for at least another 20 years or so ...
I'm thinking of having it buried with me, alongside all my household staff & concubines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.