Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

About getting a Driving License

About getting a Driving License

Old Apr 18th 2003, 2:11 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default About getting a Driving License

Called the Georgia DMV to ask specific questions on getting a driver's license for my husband once he's here. The website merely says that they require "proper INS documentation". They require a copy of the I-94, passport AND SSN. So I am thinking this of course will lead to some delay with the SSN requirement. However, ironically Georgia (as one of 6 states in US to have largest illegal immigrant population), has a bill put forward to require illegal immigrants to get a driver's license. Hmmmmmmmmm, what's wrong with this picture?
Old Apr 18th 2003, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

DonnaT is an unknown quantity at this point

I was also told by my DMV here in California, that his British driver's license will only be valid for 10 days. I am wondering how he is suppose to get a valid license, pass driving tests and everything else within 10 days of his arrival. Especially if he needs to get SSN first.

hmmmm

Donna
Old Apr 18th 2003, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

xiomi is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband was able to get his driver's license here in Houston, TX a week after he arrived. Texas is requiering an SS number, however there is an affivadit he had to sign to justify the lack of social security number. The link below should explain more.
Hope this helps you guys. Maybe your states have the same options. Good luck...

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...suance/ssn.htm
Old Apr 18th 2003, 6:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About getting a Driving License

Originally posted by cindyabs
Called the Georgia DMV to ask specific questions on getting a driver's license for my husband once he's here. The website merely says that they require "proper INS documentation". They require a copy of the I-94, passport AND SSN. So I am thinking this of course will lead to some delay with the SSN requirement. However, ironically Georgia (as one of 6 states in US to have largest illegal immigrant population), has a bill put forward to require illegal immigrants to get a driver's license. Hmmmmmmmmm, what's wrong with this picture?
NYS had one, too. It was shot down.

Rete
Old Apr 18th 2003, 7:32 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete

Rete
There doesn't seem to be a hue and cry on this so it may well pass, since the state is big time in the hole. You know, "money talks, nobody walks."

Xiomi, thank you for that info. I don't think Georgia has this but it certainly is a good idea.
Old Apr 18th 2003, 9:27 pm
Michael D. Young

cindyabs wrote:

> Called the Georgia DMV to ask specific questions on getting a driver's
    > license for my husband once he's here. The website merely says that they
    > require "proper INS documentation". They require a copy of the I-94,
    > passport AND SSN. So I am thinking this of course will lead to some
    > delay with the SSN requirement. However, ironically Georgia (as one of 6
    > states in US to have largest illegal immigrant population), has a bill
    > put forward to require illegal immigrants to get a driver's license.
    > Hmmmmmmmmm, what's wrong with this picture?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Hi All!

Same thing here in the People's Republic of Maryland. Hopefully, our new
governor will use common sense and veto the bill. You are here illegally,
you should get a one way ticket out of the country, not a driver's
license. Plus they passed another bill to give illegal aliens living in
Maryland in state tuition rates at Maryland colleges. This is at the same
time they are jacking up the property taxes to close a budget shortfall.

HOUSE BILL 838

Prohibiting the Motor Vehicle Administration from requiring an applicant for
a driver's license to provide information regarding national origin or
immigration status; clarifying that an applicant may provide a birth
certificate issued by the United States, a United States territory, or a
foreign government as proof of age or identity; requiring the Administration
to accept specified documents as proof of age and identity; etc.

Take care,

Mike

Old Apr 19th 2003, 2:13 am
Duran

Well of course!, duh! After all they DO need ID to prove who they are so
the welfare checks go to the right people!

Welcome to America, where we ignore our own poor, yet fund everyone elses.

Old Apr 19th 2003, 2:57 am
Sursum corda

Originally posted by Duran

Well of course!, duh! After all they DO need ID to prove who they are so
the welfare checks go to the right people!

I don't know about ignoring our own poor-I work nights and weekends cashiering in a grocery store. It sticks in my craw to see people come in with foodstamps buying lobsters.......

Welcome to America, where we ignore our own poor, yet fund everyone elses.
Old Apr 19th 2003, 10:05 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

I know different states have different laws regarding the issuing of drivers licences to new immigrants etc. My husband has made enquiries already on my behalf and get this, in the State of Indiana I can use the Immigration things in my passport as well as provinding numerous other forms of ID, including photo ID & then if Im lucky I will be issued with a learners permit for 6 months. I have been driving on a full NZ licence for over 30 years and I wont be permitted to drive there without a licenced driver in the vehicle with me Haven driven there so often I find this a daunting prospect and something I am not looking forward too at all but I guess if thats how it is then thats what I will have to do & learn to grin and bare it!!
Cheers
Shepslady
Old Apr 19th 2003, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

claudia13839 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete

Rete

Rete;

My understanding is that NOW you CAN get a learners permit in NYS without your social security number. Your I-94 needs to be valid for more than 11 months (good thing for K3'ers), but you still need to provide supporting documentation to fulfill the 6-point system established in New York.

NOTE-- The ID card or learners permit/license will have in big red bold letters...TEMPORARY VISITOR and a date of expiration according to I-94.

~Claudia
Old Apr 19th 2003, 5:24 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by DonnaT
I was also told by my DMV here in California, that his British driver's license will only be valid for 10 days. I am wondering how he is suppose to get a valid license, pass driving tests and everything else within 10 days of his arrival. Especially if he needs to get SSN first.

hmmmm

Donna

I NEED TO GET A CA LICENCE ALSO AND TEN DAYS!!!! I THINK I WILL LET MY OTHER HALF KEEP DRIVING. IS IT JUST A THEORY TEST OR A PRACTICAL DRIVING TEST ALSO?
Old Apr 20th 2003, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

DonnaT is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about other states, but in California you have to take a written test first, then after you pass it you have to take a driver's test with a evaluator in the car with you. Apparently they have sample tests on line. We have yet to try and see if that is true but will start looking into it soon!

DonnaT