Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

about that firefox.....

Wikiposts

about that firefox.....

Old Jan 18th 2005, 2:33 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: about that firefox.....

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, problem is, it's the websites, like image annotations, if done properly, work for FF, which follows the standard, but to work on IE, they have to be written differently, which doesn't follow set standards...
Correcting you slightly there old chap.

Sites are not written differently for IE - it's the language used.

All webpages are "written" the same.
It's the useage of the language (html) - or coding to be more precise.
IE is more forgiving of bad coding, and will render (interpret) the page the best it can.
IE was friendly to budding web designers, but made them lazy.
If you forgot to close a tag it didn't matter that much, it would still look ok in IE.

But Firefox, as you say, adheres strictly to the language (code), so any bad or sloppy coding is shown up straight away.
What needs to happen is for every website to make sure that they follow the guidelines laid down by the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium). When this happens then every site will be viewable - and accessable to everybody.

*takes off geek hat*

*puts on tank top*
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Webbie
Correcting you slightly there old chap.

Sites are not written differently for IE - it's the language used.
Kind of what I meant, well pic annotation info on the mouse over, on the coding, it's done differently on IE to work, which isn't w3 convention, so on most sites, pic annotations don't show up on FF unless coded to w3, that do on IE-which don't that have been w3 coded... I think the coding was <title> or somin' like that, can't remember exactly, your the webbie anyway
Old Jan 18th 2005, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The USCIS site lies, FF works fine with it. You can log in, check case status and all that jazz. It just underlines things in the pull down menus.

Most website will work fine with FF. It's just the ones that are written with IE only commands, even they will work to a certain degree. You sometimes get problems with video, flash and pdf but it's happening less and less and is way down to the old Mozilla browser.

Personally, I like the Noia 2.0 (eXtreme) theme, it looks good.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Personally, I like the Noia 2.0 (eXtreme) theme, it looks good.
That's not bad, I prefer Apollo 1.5 It's really nice, but hasnt' done the option menus and stuff very well though.
Also have the noia 2 one, and iCandy junior, neptune too, just flicker through them every now and again...
Old Jan 19th 2005, 4:13 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
The USCIS site lies, FF works fine with it. You can log in, check case status and all that jazz. It just underlines things in the pull down menus.
I just tried to log in again on USCIS with Mozilla. I got this message

Login
You must correct the following error(s) before proceeding:

* We have determined you are using Netscape. Account Creation and Login are not compatible with Netscape 4.7 and some later versions. If you are using this version of the browser, we recommend that you use Internet Explorer version 6.0
Old Jan 19th 2005, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I know that the website says that but did you actually try entering your username and password? I've been using FF to do that for 6 months or so, it works fine.
Because FF is netscape based, but isn't netscape, a lot of websites get confused about what version it "is" and give you bogus messages.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 7:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by sibsie
Works for me....maybe you had a prelease trunk of FF or somin'?
Old Jan 19th 2005, 7:09 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

That is a very,very badly designed site there - and it's a ******' government one !
There are laws and guidelines laid down for any public service and government sites where they should be accessable to *all* - I don't mean just people with disabilities and screen readers, but to everyone no matter what operating system or browser they are using.
(Obviously they are taking backhanders from Micro$oft )
Old Jan 19th 2005, 7:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Webbie
That is a very,very badly designed site there - and it's a ******' government one !
which probably explains it....did it on the cheap with a dodgy program on someone's lunch break or somin'
Old Jan 19th 2005, 11:01 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't let me log in at all. I did download it yonks ago so I'll try getting rid of it and re-installing it. Just pisses me off that USCIS themselves came out cautioning people against using IE then you get that sort of message.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 11:13 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't let me log in at all. I did download it yonks ago so I'll try getting rid of it and re-installing it. Just pisses me off that USCIS themselves came out cautioning people against using IE then you get that sort of message.
With many of the features of FireFox and some unique ones too, I'd recommend the freeware Slimbrowser. It is an interface that uses the IE engine -- both its pluses and minuses.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 11:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

That could be the reason...FF v1 release has improved lots over the last couple months...
Old Jan 19th 2005, 11:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by fatbrit
With many of the features of FireFox and some unique ones too, I'd recommend the freeware Slimbrowser. It is an interface that uses the IE engine -- both its pluses and minuses.
That looks pretty cool....though I think I'll stick with FF for now, after using it for a while
Old Jan 19th 2005, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The problem I have with IE and IE based browsers is that they do a really piss poor job of actually interpreting any sort of web coding, it's like going from New York to Miami via Hawaii. The main advantage of FF to me is that it is a lot better at actually interpreting web page code and displaying them quickly. There have been times when I've got to a web page from IE and in the time it takes to load I've opened FF, typed in the address and the page has already come up. Do a test with some of your favourite sites and see if you get a difference in time.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 11:44 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally Posted by Bob
That could be the reason...FF v1 release has improved lots over the last couple months...
Might stop the wobbly fonts on the version I had too. I'll play with it later.

Did you get a shed load of snow last night? I've just looked out the window and we must have got at least 5" overnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.