Aberdeen to Houston

Wikiposts

Aberdeen to Houston

Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:56 am
Just Joined

sybil580 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aberdeen to Houston

Hi all
I am planning a move to Houston Q4 2013 or early 2014. I work for a major oil company and plan to live in katy area. I have read various threads and found some v useful info however still have some specific questions:

1. Its just me and hubby. is it worthwhile buying a house in katy or is a condo big enough (compared to UK housing size)? I want a pool and i have a cat who loves bieng outdoors, dunno if thats possible in a flat.
2. What are pool maintainence costs like?
3. is it easy to get maid or cleaning services and how much does that cost. I am used to having a maid here in Aberdeen who comes weekly and does everything including laundry and cooking.
4. Is it possible to find someone to cook for us? (im not lazy just like to spend the little leasure time i have on fun activities).
5. as the weather is great do people spend a lot more time on outdoor activities? as compared to Aberdeen? (i hate the miserable Aberdeen weather and would love to swim, or do other outdoor activities).
6. are there a lot of roaches/tree roaches? i am absolutely terrified of these creatures.
thanks for your help.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 12:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aberdeen to Houston

Originally Posted by sybil580
Hi all
I am planning a move to Houston Q4 2013 or early 2014. I work for a major oil company and plan to live in katy area. I have read various threads and found some v useful info however still have some specific questions:

1. Its just me and hubby. is it worthwhile buying a house in katy or is a condo big enough (compared to UK housing size)? I want a pool and i have a cat who loves bieng outdoors, dunno if thats possible in a flat.
3. is it easy to get maid or cleaning services and how much does that cost. I am used to having a maid here in Aberdeen who comes weekly and does everything including laundry and cooking.
4. Is it possible to find someone to cook for us? (im not lazy just like to spend the little leasure time i have on fun activities).
5. as the weather is great do people spend a lot more time on outdoor activities? as compared to Aberdeen? (i hate the miserable Aberdeen weather and would love to swim, or do other outdoor activities).
6. are there a lot of roaches/tree roaches? i am absolutely terrified of these creatures.
thanks for your help.

Hi...welcome to BE.

As your post contains quite a few questions specific to Houston...I am moving your thread over to our US Forum.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 12:19 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of us have done the move from Aberdeen to Houston.

1. It depends entirely on your budget and wants. You can get very nice apartments with facilities, or you can get houses of all sizes in Katy. If it was just me and the hubby I don't know if I'd pick Katy though. Depends on the commute you are doing I suppose.

2. $20-30 per week depending on company

3. Yes it is possible. They are a lot more expensive than in the UK though.

4. I imagine so. It's much more common to eat out here though or to collect from any restaurant.

5. Yes. Except June-Sept when it's hot.

6. Yes. Ask no more about any Texas animals.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 12:40 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Fit like quine?

If it had just been me and my hubs I would have maybe picked Montrose/Heights areas, bit closer to nightlife and the possibility of walking to a few places. Still too hot in Summer for me to walk anywhere though! I am sure you could find a large Condo/Townhouse rather than a great big McMansion out in the burbs.

You should have no problem finding a maid service, lots of our neighbours use them but I don't know about costs, I am chief cook and bottlewasher round here. I am with Weeze on eating out over having a maid prepare meals. There is a place down here called Dream Dinnerz? they prepare everything and you pick it up, take it home and cook it I think. Also nearly every restaurant will offer 'to go' so fast food needn't be McDonalds or KFC.

Can't help you with pool maintenance costs either as we have a communal pool. That's another plus of the condo side, pool, maybe even a gym and no maintenance costs (well yeah OK they are built into the cost but you don't have to deal with it).

The natives spend a fair amount of time outdoors but not all day, I barely see kids out in the heat of summer but if you head down to one of the city parks you will see the buff and the beautiful out running in 90° weather, it's fun to watch from the car with the a/c running and a cold frappuccino.

Bugs well hmm, I have been here almost 5 years and only seen 1 cockroach in the house, I guess he got in when a door was open, I have seen a few more when we have been out and about at night but not many. But then there are the mozzies, the lovebugs, the junebugs, the lizards, the wasps, the crane flies, the odd snake..... Welcome to Texas
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It'll be a rubbish idea to buy in the first year, what with no credit history, not really knowing the area or how the environment will affect your lifestyle.

Maids, cooks, all easy to find, craigslist or local job boards, or cash in hand to some shifty people.

Outdoor stuff, don't know about how the locals do it, but that kind of heat I find a bit crippling to enjoy doing much out in the summer, but then it's probably a lot less humid down there.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It'll be a rubbish idea to buy in the first year, what with no credit history, not really knowing the area or how the environment will affect your lifestyle.

Maids, cooks, all easy to find, craigslist or local job boards, or cash in hand to some shifty people.

Outdoor stuff, don't know about how the locals do it, but that kind of heat I find a bit crippling to enjoy doing much out in the summer, but then it's probably a lot less humid down there.
Bob...it's Texas. Texas and less humid in summer don't belong together.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:51 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

To the OP

1. Houses are much larger here than the typical one in the UK. Apartments for the most part can be too. Katy is very family orientated - all of the suburbs are really.
2. Circa $100/month +- or you can do it yourself. Check out www.troublefreepool.com
3. No idea, sorry!
4. Agree with the others - just order it. You can order from just about anywhere, including nice restaurants.
5. Yes, it does get hot though! Plenty of activities to do.
6. In general, yes, unfortunately. It varies by area - they're more prevalent in wooded areas.

Good luck!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:56 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

as the weather is great do people spend a lot more time on outdoor activities? as compared to Aberdeen? (i hate the miserable Aberdeen weather and would love to swim, or do other outdoor activities).
You were within spitting distance of the best outdoors in the world, it does not get better. equal yes, different yes, but not better.

Except for the midge. America does not have midges. All hail America and its lack of midges.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Bob must be having too much birthday fun.

Hey Bob come visit us anytime of the year and enjoy our humidity
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

One can be hopeful

If the humidity isn't crippling, the bird sized mozzies certainly are and years later, they still eat me alive, yet others don't seem to have a problem.

Though it has gotten better...ish.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
One can be hopeful

If the humidity isn't crippling, the bird sized mozzies certainly are and years later, they still eat me alive, yet others don't seem to have a problem.

Though it has gotten better...ish.
I believe the mozzies in the NE are nothing compared to the monster mozzies in Texas.

After 17 yrs they still feast on me..and no it hasn't got any better. They don't bother with hubby and daughter.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

Hey Bob come visit us anytime of the year and enjoy our humidity
No thanks....we get more than enough as it is up here...it's horrid
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the mozzies in the NE are nothing compared to the monster mozzies in Texas.

After 17 yrs they still feast on me..and no it hasn't got any better. They don't bother with hubby and daughter.
..and the Fire Ants. Everyone loves the fire ants
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:51 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
..and the Fire Ants. Everyone loves the fire ants
Oh yeah. Love the little bastards...

They just move around my lawn like they're on a world tour.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:18 pm
Still Glazers Out!

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

thanks for your help.
Er, unless you either a) LOVE spending large amounts of time in your (mostly stationary) car; b) your company's offices are located along I-10 westward from the Memorial City area (ie. your company is BP!!); or c) you fancy getting up and out of the house before 6.45am every work-day morning, I'd think twice about Katy.

Katy (particularly 'old' Katy village itself) is a lovely area of the city compared with many others, but it means a busy commute every day unless you work along or just off I-10 West.

If you are working closer into 'downtown' consider other areas like Memorial, which has some nice properties but without the commute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.