Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Abbreviated Birth Cert ok for parent applying for kid passport??

Abbreviated Birth Cert ok for parent applying for kid passport??

Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

bibliobabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Abbreviated Birth Cert ok for parent applying for kid passport??

Hi all - a forum newbie here, after extensive thread searching I thought I'd just post a new one. Not sure of the "hijack" etiquette! Many similar questions but here we go...

I am USC, hubby is UK (has a GC). Both kids, 6 and 3, were born in US and are USC with US passports. We were married before both kids. We are applying for UK passports for the kids.

As DH is the UK parent, I need to include his original birth certificate in the packet.

Would the abbreviated form of the birth certificate be OK? DH's parents have the long form back in Scotland but we only have the abbreviated form here.

Kids' only have US birth certificates, their births have not been registered in UK.

Also - can I send both kids' at the same time, only having 1 copy of DH's birth cert for both applications? if I include a memo?

Thanks in advance for your help!! Please feel free to direct me to another thread if already been posted!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abbreviated Birth Cert ok for parent applying for kid passport??

Originally Posted by bibliobabe
Would the abbreviated form of the birth certificate be OK? DH's parents have the long form back in Scotland but we only have the abbreviated form here.
I believe he will need the long form B/C.

Also - can I send both kids' at the same time, only having 1 copy of DH's birth cert for both applications? if I include a memo?
I believe you can send them both, yes.

Ian
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

i only have a short form birth cert do i have to get a long form one for my visa application thanks dh ps sorry for the hijack but its roughly the same
Old Mar 24th 2011, 6:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redarmy990
i only have a short form birth cert do i have to get a long form one for my visa application thanks dh ps sorry for the hijack but its roughly the same
This thread is about UK passports not US visas. You would be best to open a new thread in the US Immigration forum.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Read this:
http://centralcontent.fco.gov.uk/res.../form-c2-notes

You need to send a FULL birth certificate for your husband.

You also need to send FULL birth certificates for both children (showing full details of both parents). If you don't have full birth certificates, you'll need to obtain them. Please note that if these are issued more than 3 months after the child's DOB, you might be asked to prove that the child was not adopted (e.g. by providing hospital records). This is because the US issues amended birth certificates after adoptions.

You can send both passport applications together in the same envelope along with your husband's birth certificate.

Your husband can order a duplicate birth certificate here:
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

It takes a few weeks but it's a good idea to have multiple copies of all your birth and marriage certificates.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

This site doesn't seem to be for Scottish peeps...it only says England and Wales? Can you request online for Scotland and have it sent to the US?

Both the kids' are the FULL US birth cert's. Thank you!!

sorry if multiple posts - I have been trying "quickreply" but whenever I refresh it disappears! Apologies...
Old Mar 24th 2011, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

This site doesn't seem to be for Scottish peeps...it only says England and Wales? Can you request online for Scotland and have it sent to the US?

Both the kids' are the FULL US birth cert's. Thank you!!

sorry if multiple posts - I have been trying "quickreply" but whenever I refresh it disappears! Apologies...
http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/index.html
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I am USC, hubby is UK (has a GC). Both kids, 6 and 3, were born in US and are USC with US passports. We were married before both kids. We are applying for UK passports for the kids.
How did your DH get his green card? Usually the birth certificate he would have submitted with that application (or visa app) would be the 'full' version.. the one with both parents' names on it is what the US is looking for.

Originally Posted by redarmy990
Please see above. All the visa wiki entries make note (as does the Embassy website) that you will need a birth certificate with both your parents' names on it.
(it's actually quite a different question )
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:49 am
Just Joined

hmm- on the gc- I don't even remember if it was required. he had a student visa first so maybe he used the full birth cert while in scotland to get that one and then we were able to "build" on the student visa after we got married. he did already have a ss number and ss card.

have asked my MIL to send over the long form.

so, building on another thread, if my kids are us and uk passport holders, when would they ever travel on the uk ones? i saw another post that usc are always supposed to travel on their us one?

thanks again all!
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

hmm- on the gc- I don't even remember if it was required. he had a student visa first so maybe he used the full birth cert while in scotland to get that one and then we were able to "build" on the student visa after we got married. he did already have a ss number and ss card.

have asked my MIL to send over the long form.

so, building on another thread, if my kids are us and uk passport holders, when would they ever travel on the uk ones? i saw another post that usc are always supposed to travel on their us one?

thanks again all!
A long form birth certificate is required when applying for a Green Card.

All USCs are required to leave and enter the US using their US passports.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A long form birth certificate is required when applying for a Green Card.

All USCs are required to leave and enter the US using their US passports.
so they should present us passport to security when leaving atlanta, then they can enter uk w/ the new passports?
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

so they should present us passport to security when leaving atlanta, then they can enter uk w/ the new passports?
Yes.

They can use either PP to enter the UK.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a word of caution that if you're getting your MIL to post over the original B/C have her send it via FedEx or DHL. The post office(s) have an annoying habit of losing important paperwork and their tracking systems are useless.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

@Alan, yes, MIL is sending via recorded delivery Royal mail? I don't think that has a tracking # - should have specified DHL - but i will check . thanks for the heads up.

on another track - I am looking for all of our documents and I can't tell from the instructions if they require an original birth certificate for ME - US citizen, remember. i am getting DH's original, however the instructions say parent's original birth certificate...does that only mean the UK parent or parents if both are? I have a COPY of my birth cert, but would have to order a new original. Can't find a definite answer so any help is much apprectiated!!

Thanks all!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:33 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

@Alan, yes, MIL is sending via recorded delivery Royal mail? I don't think that has a tracking # - should have specified DHL - but i will check . thanks for the heads up.

on another track - I am looking for all of our documents and I can't tell from the instructions if they require an original birth certificate for ME - US citizen, remember. i am getting DH's original, however the instructions say parent's original birth certificate...does that only mean the UK parent or parents if both are? I have a COPY of my birth cert, but would have to order a new original. Can't find a definite answer so any help is much apprectiated!!

Thanks all!
Probably the copy you have (unless it is a photocopy) is an "original". All the original-originals are on file with your state or county vital records. What you get when you order a copy from them is considered an "original" for these sorts of purposes.
HTH & made some kind of sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.