Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Aagh!- Choosing a Front Loading Washer

Aagh!- Choosing a Front Loading Washer

Old Apr 17th 2004, 10:51 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aagh!- Choosing a Front Loading Washer

I hope this will yield more responses. Those from the UK (and Oz) are familiar with front loading washing machines but in the US, they're still a bit of a novelty.

I haven't run across anyone at work who has a front loader yet.

So, does anyone have one? What are your thoughts? Do you use HE (high efficiency) detergent?

I'm looking to buy a large size washing machine (not a compact machine like Bosch, Asko, Miele) and I'm not adverse to buying an American brand.

I've discovered through research that there's horizontal drum front loaders and ones that have slightly tilted drums (so the drum capacity is larger than horizontal drum front loaders).

Manufacturers websites haven't been that helpful because most don't mention the maximum rpm of the spin cycle nor indicate if the drum is horizontal or tilted.

Consumer Reports's report on washing machines only tested half the number of front loaders compared to top loaders so the results weren't that helpful.

Any feedback on FL machines is welcomed.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 11:12 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aagh!- Choosing a Front Loading Washer

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I hope this will yield more responses. Those from the UK (and Oz) are familiar with front loading washing machines but in the US, they're still a bit of a novelty.

So, does anyone have one? What are your thoughts? Do you use HE (high efficiency) detergent?

I'm looking to buy a large size washing machine (not a compact machine like Bosch, Asko, Miele) and I'm not adverse to buying an American brand.

I've discovered through research that there's horizontal drum front loaders and ones that have slightly tilted drums (so the drum capacity is larger than horizontal drum front loaders).

Manufacturers websites haven't been that helpful because most don't mention the maximum rpm of the spin cycle nor indicate if the drum is horizontal or tilted.

Consumer Reports's report on washing machines only tested half the number of front loaders compared to top loaders so the results weren't that helpful.

With the exception of nostalgia, what is the reason you want to go a front loader as opposed to a top? Our top loader works just fine.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

Jan in Arizona is on a distinguished road

I have used 2 top loader machines since being here in the US in the last 8 months and both were crap. The washing comes out dirtier than it goes in in the one I am using in this rental house. I have bought a front loader and I can't wait to start using it and find out if it gets things clean when we move into our new house on Thursday. Last weekend I had to re-wash at least 6 things that had stains on after coming out that weren't there before they went in! I would NEVER buy a top loader.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:23 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Reckon that's more to do with the detergent and the water than the washer....

Can't see any reasons to lay out oodles of dosh on a front-loader, myself.

Apart from washing capacity differences, you can add things into the wash after it's started with a top-loader

Suggest you invest in Shout for those stains.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:49 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ScousePete
With the exception of nostalgia, what is the reason you want to go a front loader as opposed to a top? Our top loader works just fine.
"Just fine" for me is not good enough when I know that there are other types of machine out there that can clean whites white.

There's many Americans who've discovered the superior difference of (most) front loading washing machines. Please read posts in the Laundry Room of "That Home Site".
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/laun...e=Laundry+Room

The main reasons front loading machines are better than top loading machines are:

they use less water, hence lower water bills
more energy efficient, hence lower electric or gas bills
generally quieter than top loading machines
the faster spin (up to 205 rpm for some machines) means clothes come out drier so they don't need to go in the dryer for so long. So, lower dryer bills

US government is mandating (or is it voluntary?) that washer manufacturers create more water efficient and energy efficient machines. Most front loaders in the US already meet or exceed these standards. Top loaders do not.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:19 am
Just Joined

kazzyuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am new to this site ..been living in the U.S for 16 months...I have to admit I love using top loaders ....my front loader I had in U.K took forever and you couldnt stop the cycle...I havent had any of my washing come out dirtier than it went in...I love looking at all you have to say on this site ...I do miss U.K
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with top loaders is the spinning spike thing that can really shorten the life of your clothes. Plus front loaders are usually more efficient.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:47 am
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought the whirlpool front loader washer and dryer. They are enormous! But I have to say they are really good. The top loaders that I have used in rentals seem to chew your clothes up after a while. The duets that I have are really gentle on the clothes. Just make sure that if you do go for the Duets that you measure your utility room. We had to take our door off and have it opening the other way to get them to fit ok.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:49 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
The problem with top loaders is the spinning spike thing that can really shorten the life of your clothes. Plus front loaders are usually more efficient.
You've noticed that too. The agitator (the corkscrew thing) alone is noticeably destroying my clothes. Interestingly, only the ones bought in the US.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've used my dryer so I know that the dryer doesn't contribute to damaging clothes. If I used a dryer, my clothing would have an even shorter life (where do you think the lint that collects in the lint catcher in dryers comes from?).
Old Apr 18th 2004, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Jan in Arizona
I have used 2 top loader machines since being here in the US in the last 8 months and both were crap. The washing comes out dirtier than it goes in in the one I am using in this rental house. I have bought a front loader and I can't wait to start using it and find out if it gets things clean when we move into our new house on Thursday. Last weekend I had to re-wash at least 6 things that had stains on after coming out that weren't there before they went in! I would NEVER buy a top loader.
Are you using softened water? This area has very hard water (high mineral content) and no washing machine cleans well without softened water?
Old Apr 18th 2004, 2:12 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
The problem with top loaders is the spinning spike thing that can really shorten the life of your clothes.
There is that. However in my situation (three young children and two adults who don't give a monkey's about fashion), clothes wear out naturally before the ageing of the washing machine can have a significant effect.

Re the whites, imo, it's the crappy detergents not the washing machines to blame. Imported detergents work so much better, but it's cheaper simply to use Shout for stained coloureds and add bleach to a whites wash. Front loaders may be more efficient, but if you have to wash more often, where's the saving? A bit like these wonderful water-saving bogs they have here
Old Apr 18th 2004, 2:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

We have a matched pair of Maytag washer and drier front (tilted) loaders. They work fine, as good as our much smaller machines in the UK, and have more settings and programs than you could shake a stick at. They are built like tanks, and will proably still be here, working fine, long after our house has collapsed and rotted away!

We also use HE detergent, my wife deals with that and she seems happy with it (but was not impressed with British machines and detergents ..... make of that what you will! )
Old Apr 18th 2004, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 18th 2004, 2:55 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pulaski
We have a matched pair of Maytag washer and drier front (tilted) loaders. They work fine, as good as our much smaller machines in the UK, and have more settings and programs than you could shake a stick at. They are built like tanks, and will proably still be here, working fine, long after our house has collapsed and rotted away!

We also use HE detergent, my wife deals with that and she seems happy with it (but was not impressed with British machines and detergents ..... make of that what you will! )
I also was going to recommend the Magtag as an American brand front loader and dryer. Granted, I'd rather have my Miele machines back (the brand I used in the UK) but in my experience German domestic appliances in general command a hefty premium in the US. The Maytag have been a very satifactory substitute for the price difference.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 2:57 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by monster
There is that. However in my situation (three young children and two adults who don't give a monkey's about fashion), clothes wear out naturally before the ageing of the washing machine can have a significant effect.

Re the whites, imo, it's the crappy detergents not the washing machines to blame. Imported detergents work so much better, but it's cheaper simply to use Shout for stained coloureds and add bleach to a whites wash. Front loaders may be more efficient, but if you have to wash more often, where's the saving? A bit like these wonderful water-saving bogs they have here
Don't get me started on low flow toilets........I want to "smuggle" a proper one in from Canada. I still say that the whole thing was a scam to line the pockets of a friend of someone in Congress.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.