Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

7 or 8 seater SUV- any recommendations?

7 or 8 seater SUV- any recommendations?

Old Feb 18th 2017, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Perky74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 7 or 8 seater SUV- any recommendations?

Hi all

I am due to chat to International Autosource on Tuesday about sourcing a car for us for when we arrive in April. We want a 7 or 8 seater SUV so that we can ferry about kids and skis and the dog and friends when they come to stay. Obviously the cars over here are different to the ones available in the UK so I'm looking for any recommendations.....My husband seems keen on the Ford Explorer - anyone have any views on this on or other ones? the Honda Pilot keeps coming up in searches as does the Mazda CX-9.

Thanks so much!
Old Feb 18th 2017, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 or 8 seater SUV- any recommendations?

Over the last five years, we have driven quite a few different SUVs/CUVs. The difference between the two is that SUVs have a truck chassis and CUVs use a car chassis, though often "SUV" is used for both. These are our experiences:
- Mazda CX-9 (CUV) - We owned this for three years, and it was my main commuting vehicle for the first year. When we bought it, we loved that it steered like a car despite its size, but then this became a liability as the steering became extremely floaty and hard to control. We have friends who have a CX-9 and still really like it, though.
- Ford Expedition - Large and sturdy SUV, though the Expedition-EL and some competitors are even bigger. This replaced the CX-9. It's a good vehicle, even if the current model is getting to the end of its life cycle.
- Ford Explorer - We have rented one several times while on vacation, and these are great vehicles. The reason we bought an Expedition instead was that the front seats on the Explorer have changed on the latest model and are narrower and shorter than before. My wife is pretty slim, but her hips made sitting in the driver's seat uncomfortable. You may be fine, though.
- Chevrolet Traverse - Same market as CX-9. We rented a base model for a week in 2015. It drove well, but being the base model, it was basic.
- Honda Pilot - One of several vehicles we looked at as possible replacements for first the CX-9 and then the Expedition. It's a popular vehicle, but we didn't bother test driving it, since the 3rd-row footwell only drops down about six inches below the seat, leaving any passenger there taller than three feet with their knees in the air for the entire journey.

We also looked at several other vehicles and dismissed many of them because of the lack of leg room in the 2nd row. We test drove a few, but then realised that the reason we wanted to get rid of the Expedition was that both of us hated commuting in such large vehicles. We now have two sedan (UK saloon) cars and squeeze the three kids in the back the few times that we all go out together. It works fine, even if the kids complain when they first get in.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 1:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If I was looking for an SUV it would probably be an Explorer - it sells in large numbers, and there is a reason. I don't remember if it seats 7 or 8, but either way, if you're expecting to carry that many people, or have much luggage, a Expedition would be a better bet as it is larger, but it is also thirstier.

I like Hondas, and have a trusty Accord myself, but wouldn't buy an SUV from a Japanese manufacturer.

I would say that the main competitor to the Explorer would be something like a Chevy Tahoe but it is heavier, like the Expedition, and a lot less fuel efficient.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 18th 2017 at 1:36 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 1:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If I was looking for an SUV it would probably be an Explorer - it sells in large numbers, and there is a reason. I don't remember if it seats 7 or 8, but either way, if you're expecting to carry that many people, or have much luggage, a Expedition would be a better bet.

I like Hondas, and have a trusty Accord myself, but wouldn't buy an SUV from a Japanese manufacturer.

I would say that the main competitor to the Explorer would be something like a Chevy Tahoe but it is heavier, like the Expedition, and a lot less fuel efficient.

I've had an Explorer and 3 Expeditions...the latter is my favourite. I've also had Range Rover and Mercedes SUVs...wouldn't have another. Looked at the Japanese large SUVs...but for me the Expedition wins everytime. I have to admit I only keep vehicles for a max of 3 years...but during that time I have had no problems with Ford.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

My in laws have an old explorer still running after what I assume to be about 15 years and a couple hundred thousand miles. The only comment they have is that the tires are very expensive, but I guess that is the same for any truck / SUV.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 1:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
My in laws have an old explorer still running after what I assume to be about 15 years and a couple hundred thousand miles. The only comment they have is that the tires are very expensive, but I guess that is the same for any truck / SUV.
An Explorer that old is an SUV body on a Ford Ranger truck chassis, the new ones are unibody construction (no chassis, like a car - FWIW the floor pan platform of an Explorer is that of a Ford Taurus), so are much lighter, more fuel efficient, and have a more car-like feel for the driver.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I obviously don't know your budget, but I'd throw the Audi Q7 in the ring. It's probably about $20k more, but for that, you get the Quatro system and diesel power that runs like a gas engine and gives great MPG!

Plus it's really well appointed and luxurious.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 2:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is currently owns a Chrysler Town and Country for her large family of five. Ample room for the kids and spouse and all their sports equipment, i.e. today two have football practice and one has soccer practice. So goes the shoulder pads, helmets, cooler for sports drinks and sandwiches to replace burned off calories, etc.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 10:21 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
My daughter is currently owns a Chrysler Town and Country for her large family of five. Ample room for the kids and spouse and all their sports equipment, i.e. today two have football practice and one has soccer practice. So goes the shoulder pads, helmets, cooler for sports drinks and sandwiches to replace burned off calories, etc.
When having warranty work on my pickup I was transported to and from work in a Chrysler Town and Country by the dealership. It was not at all what I expected, it was really luxurious inside.

+1 on looking at the Chrysler Town and Country
Old Feb 19th 2017, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

I rented a Chrysler Town and Country to drive across Washington state for a soccer game with the family & two grand parents (i.e. 4 adults, 2 kids). The kids loved it due to the drop down DVD screens. I hated it as drove like a UHaul.

Around here the sports moms are going for Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 3:06 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Honda Odyssey.
EVERYONE here in Austin has that.

Think Ford Galaxy for the USA.

Why would you want an SUV? Are you living in Colorado? Alaska?
Old Feb 19th 2017, 3:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Honda Odyssey.
EVERYONE here in Austin has that.

Think Ford Galaxy for the USA.

Why would you want an SUV? Are you living in Colorado? Alaska?
A quick look through the OP's posts would tell you it's NJ. You need at least one SUV in the family for the snowy NJ winters.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 19th 2017 at 3:32 am.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Honda Odyssey.
EVERYONE here in Austin has that. ....
Note post #1, "the husband" is involved. .... If I was buying a vehicle it wouldn't be a minivan, and I wouldn't take one for free even if you paid me to drive it.
.... Why would you want an SUV? Are you living in Colorado? Alaska?
As JG said, an SUV is a reasonable choice in NJ, but it any case, the OP said it will be used for skiing trips.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 11:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Note post #1, "the husband" is involved. .... If I was buying a vehicle it wouldn't be a minivan, and I wouldn't take one for free even if you paid me to drive it.

As JG said, an SUV is a reasonable choice in NJ, but it any case, the OP said it will be used for skiing trips.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what you are looking for. We did this search last year. We originally started looking at SUVs and ended up with a minivan. Are you concerned about safety ratings? One of my requirements was active braking, which none of the Fords have. All the Ford SUVs are truck based and therefore the ride is more truck like. If you want 4 wheel drive minivan , the only option I know of is the Toyota Sienna. The Land Cruiser is nice, but expensive.

There are only 2, 7/8 seat options at the moment with active braking (safety plus rating), Pacifica and Sedona.

I preferred the Escalade to the expedition, but both are nice vehicles. The Escalade had forward collision alert but not active braking.

Best thing to do is to go and try a few. The Tesla has 7 seats, but the third row is suitable only for kids.

Fuel economy
Safety
Stowable seats
Towing
4 wheel drive
Cost
We love the integrated blinds in ours, but this wasn't on my original list.
Opening rear windows.
Which seats have latch. The number of seats that have latch varies.

Last edited by mrken30; Feb 19th 2017 at 4:09 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.