Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

7 or 8 seater SUV- any recommendations?

7 or 8 seater SUV- any recommendations?

Old Feb 19th 2017, 3:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 or 8 seater SUV- any recommendations?

Originally Posted by mrken30
.... One of my requirements was active braking, which none of the Fords have. All the Ford SUVs are truck based and therefore the ride is more truck like. ......
This is incorrect, and MrKen hasn't even bothered to read my post above. The ONLY Ford SUV that is truck-based is the Expedition, which is based on an F-150. The Explorer is based on a Taurus floorpan, so is derived from a car, and FWIW the Edge is based on a Fusion/Mondeo floorpan, and the Escape on a Focus floorpan.

I wouldn't bet much on MrKen's other comments on Fords being correct either!
Old Feb 19th 2017, 4:04 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

We used our Ford Galaxy almost every single winter weekend for family ski trips in the Pyrenees. Loads of space in the boot, skis fitted under the back seats and didn't even protrude into the foot space area. We used chains if needed on the tires but locals would just put snow tires on their cars for the winter. Hardly any suvs there and usually just UK or Paris license plates anyway.

just my tuppence worth.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This is incorrect, and MrKen hasn't even bothered to read my post above. The ONLY Ford SUV that is truck-based is the Expedition, which is based on an F-150. The Explorer is based on a Taurus floorpan, so is derived from a car, and FWIW the Edge is based on a Fusion/Mondeo floorpan, and the Escape on a Focus floorpan.

I wouldn't bet much on MrKen's other comments on Fords being correct either!
If it's car based, doesn't that technically make it a crossover?

I am only going by what the Ford salesman told me. So don't believe everything the salesman tells you. The Ford dealership directed me towards Lincoln.

I found this website useful with regards to car seats and SUV/Minivans.
http://thecarseatlady.com/category/v...-buying-guide/

Last edited by mrken30; Feb 19th 2017 at 4:30 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 6:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If it's car based, doesn't that technically make it a crossover? ....
I suppose so, but these days there is no design or engineering difference between a "minivan" and most SUV's, SUVs have larger wheels are are more likely to be 4×4's, but that's about it. For all intents and purposes a Explorer might as well be sold as a minvan.
..... I am only going by what the Ford salesman told me. So don't believe everything the salesman tells you. .....
That's true, and I would add, "don't believe everything MrKen tells you either"!
Old Feb 19th 2017, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
We used our Ford Galaxy almost every single winter weekend for family ski trips in the Pyrenees. Loads of space in the boot, skis fitted under the back seats and didn't even protrude into the foot space area. We used chains if needed on the tires but locals would just put snow tires on their cars for the winter. Hardly any suvs there and usually just UK or Paris license plates anyway.

just my tuppence worth.
Yeah, well you now drive a Prius!

FWIW I have no dog in this fight, having never owned either a minivan or an SUV.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 2:13 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, well you now drive a Prius!

FWIW I have no dog in this fight, having never owned either a minivan or an SUV.
440 miles on 10 gallons around town.... Prius V estate loads of boot space.. Super comfortable on long drives - it glides along very happily at 75 mph givng me about 58mpg then. It's perfect for where I live.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Perky74 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK this has been brilliant. Thanks so much everyone. I'm definitely not keen on a mini van so I think that the Ford Explorer or the Expedition will be top of our list. Definitely need an SUV for all the kids and gear and dog and playdates and also when our friends come to visit MY SIL in London has a Prius and she loves it. Not one for me though as know it won;t be big enough for all the gear. Will let you know how we get on with IAS tomorrow!
Old Feb 20th 2017, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Perky74
OK this has been brilliant. Thanks so much everyone. I'm definitely not keen on a mini van so I think that the Ford Explorer or the Expedition will be top of our list. Definitely need an SUV for all the kids and gear and dog and playdates and also when our friends come to visit MY SIL in London has a Prius and she loves it. Not one for me though as know it won;t be big enough for all the gear. Will let you know how we get on with IAS tomorrow!
You're welcome, and good luck. You won't regret going with a Ford, I have two and they're great.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome, and good luck. You won't regret going with a Ford, I have two and they're great.
I would have probably gone with a Ford if the local salespeople weren't so pushy and gave me wrong information. They have lost out on 2 sales from me to date through mis-information and bad sales technique.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
440 miles on 10 gallons around town.... Prius V estate loads of boot space.. Super comfortable on long drives - it glides along very happily at 75 mph givng me about 58mpg then. It's perfect for where I live.
I get almost as good mileage per person. 28 mpg for 8 people with luggage. Not sure whether a prius is much different to a minivan for street cred.

You wouldn't get 5 people , a washer and a dryer in a prius.

Last edited by mrken30; Feb 20th 2017 at 4:38 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 4:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Although I am a lover of the Ford Expedition...last year my daughter bought a new Chevrolet Equinox. Have to say I'm impressed with the comfort and spec. It is probably too small for the OP but the next model up is certainly worth considering IMO.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Although I am a lover of the Ford Expedition...last year my daughter bought a new Chevrolet Equinox. Have to say I'm impressed with the comfort and spec. It is probably too small for the OP but the next model up is certainly worth considering IMO.
But the Tahoe would probably work. I think it may be the same chassis as the Escalade and Yukon.

I know a fair number of people with Suburbans, these seem to deal with the snow quite well and are huge in my opinion.I certainly don't want to be hit by one. Very popular large family vehicle/SUV, mainly because it can pull a family size trailer over 8000 lbs.

Last edited by mrken30; Feb 20th 2017 at 5:11 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 5:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

But the Tahoe would probably work. I think it may be the same chassis as the Escalade and Yukon.
That's the one...Tahoe.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for the Expedition.

Will comfortably seat 7 adults. 3 adults in the 3rd row would not be advisable but 3 kids should be OK. The EL model will seat 7 or 8 and still leave room for luggage behind the 3rd row.

We went from an Expedition pulling a camper to a motorhome pulling a Chevy Equinox.

I still miss the Expedition.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chawkins99
+1 for the Expedition.

Will comfortably seat 7 adults. 3 adults in the 3rd row would not be advisable but 3 kids should be OK. The EL model will seat 7 or 8 and still leave room for luggage behind the 3rd row.

We went from an Expedition pulling a camper to a motorhome pulling a Chevy Equinox.

I still miss the Expedition.
When we were looking at SUVs we found the head room limited in the 3rd row on several. Is this the case with the Expedition?

We did like that most had sliding 2nd row which was good for rear facing kid seats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.