Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

6 years in NC & love it

6 years in NC & love it

Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:27 am
Just Joined

david williams will become famous soon enough
Smile 6 years in NC & love it

Hi,my husband and I have been living in NC for 6 years now and love it.We are from North wales and Manchester originally We are now near to our young Grandkids at last.It takes a while to settle down here in the US but it is worth it. Would never dream of going back to the UK.Just look,listen and learn ,try to adapt to American ways,like when in Rome ! ! !.This life is so much better just don't try to live beyond your means and work hard at your credit score cos without it you are screwed.It took us ages to get established both financially and getting used to American customs. If you want to go to the pub on Friday nights to get drunk and party then go back to the UK.Americans are very much into family life together, we think it is great.We both still work and have busy lives even though we are classed as seniors,but our spare time and weekends are great.Our whole lifestyles have changed since being here,to the better.We have more now than we ever had or would have back in the UK. .Would love to hear back from anyone who is in North Carolina or who came to the US from Wales.
David and Linda
Old Jul 29th 2010, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in NC & loving it

Don't you know that as Brits, you are supposed to only come on here to complain about your US life and whine about how you can't find a decent pack of bacon/sausage anywhere!

Only joking (kind of) there are a few on here that live in NC, not sure if they came from Wales, but you can't have everything We recently moved to SC, but have been in the US for a long time.

Good to hear you are enjoying life and are happy with your choices
Old Jul 29th 2010, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 years in NC & love it

Am I seeing double
Old Jul 29th 2010, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Am I seeing double

They want you to know how much they really love it.....
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by david williams
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,my husband and I have been living in NC for 6 years now and love it.We are from North wales and Manchester originally We are now near to our young Grandkids at last.It takes a while to settle down here in the US but it is worth it. Would never dream of going back to the UK.Just look,listen and learn ,try to adapt to American ways,like when in Rome ! ! !.This life is so much better just don't try to live beyond your means and work hard at your credit score cos without it you are screwed.It took us ages to get established both financially and getting used to American customs. If you want to go to the pub on Friday nights to get drunk and party then go back to the UK.Americans are very much into family life together, we think it is great.We both still work and have busy lives even though we are classed as seniors,but our spare time and weekends are great.Our whole lifestyles have changed since being here,to the better.We have more now than we ever had or would have back in the UK. .Would love to hear back from anyone who is in North Carolina or who came to the US from Wales.
David and Linda

Congratulations....I think

Just remember everyones situation and lifestyle are different. In reality a lot of expats don't have an easy time, financially and emotionally. It can be hard work when you don't have family around, when jobs disappear and when medical emergencies arise.

Enjoy
Old Jul 29th 2010, 4:12 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but do they like NC?
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear a positive story form a post-honeymoon period ex-pat.

The work ethic is definitely one of the main cultural differences in the US. But like you said, if you plan your future carefully, are willing to accept inevitable lateral movement of lifestyle, and live within your means, the rewards are there.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:44 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David and Linda
Whereabouts in NC are you? I moved from eastern NC to Wales (valleys), and am now in Scotland. Having lived in college towns in the US, I think there IS actually a boozing culture, it's just that by the time they reach 30, most Americans have moved past that phase ...
Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: from Yorkshire, via Hampshire and Surrey to NC Triangle
mommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to all

Three years in NC now, love it mostly, would be better without the Mosquitos
Glad your experience has been positive.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Me too - Love it here altho I'm still in transition (4 years working overseas trying to get working visa but have a base here) .. wide open spaces, great weather and we've met some seriously cool people. I left London straight after uni so I cant really compare UK working life to life here but my OH can and he's much happier here.

Last edited by Orangepants; Jul 29th 2010 at 1:42 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:11 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

David and Linda
Whereabouts in Wales then? And which one of you is the Mancunian?

I hail from those parts myself like...

I do think you make some good points though, and I have to agree..
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
They want you to know how much they really love it.....
Originally Posted by dbj1000
Yes, but do they like NC?
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

WOW these painkillers really are strong!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 4:29 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
WOW these painkillers really are strong!
ohh well make sure you post lots today to keep us all entertained then
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:01 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

If you want to go to the pub on Friday nights to get drunk and party then go back to the UK.
Yeah, because here they prefer to go to a bar, have no clue what a decent public house actually is and would rather go to a bar 7 nights a week, get pissed on what can only be described as piss then drive their supercharged over sized truck home at break neck speeds and call it 'hunting' when they hit a deer.

But I'm glad you like it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.