Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

6+ seater vehicles

6+ seater vehicles

Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

PaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant future
Default Re: 6+ seater vehicles

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I had a new LR3 a few years ago...never again. My husband had a new XJ...never again. We've never had so many problems with vehicles as we had with these two. Got rid of both within 2 years.
What year was your LR3?
Old Nov 14th 2011, 2:46 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

If I had to have a van I'd want a Mitsubishi Delicia, but it would be a bugger to get one in the US.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulK
What year was your LR3?
Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:03 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We have an Odyssey. No problems to date.

Low on style but a practical vehicle for children, other peoples' children, visits from in-laws, road trips and even tailgating. I get around 350-380 miles a tank. $20k should get you one with about 40,000-50,000 miles.

We looked at Volvo XC90 and Toyota Highlander, but thought the third row was a bit of a token gesture.

To compensate for lack of style noted above, we're about to order a Mini John Cooper Works for a bit of fun.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

More ideas! Thanks.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 11:33 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
If I had to have a van I'd want a Mitsubishi Delicia, but it would be a bugger to get one in the US.
Btw, it pays to remember that model names can differ a lot between countries. There is a lot of "badge engineering" going on.

For example, last summer we rented a Mitsubishi "Nativa" in Costa Rica. It is marketed as a "Pajero" in Europe and "Montero" in the US. [The Nativa was also a diesel with a manual transmission, neither of which is available in the US].

The badge can also extend to "make" of the car -- the "Skoda Octavia" wagon ["estate car" in UK English] was sold in the US only as a VW Jetta.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 4:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Btw, it pays to remember that model names can differ a lot between countries. There is a lot of "badge engineering" going on.

For example, last summer we rented a Mitsubishi "Nativa" in Costa Rica. It is marketed as a "Pajero" in Europe and "Montero" in the US. [The Nativa was also a diesel with a manual transmission, neither of which is available in the US].

The badge can also extend to "make" of the car -- the "Skoda Octavia" wagon ["estate car" in UK English] was sold in the US only as a VW Jetta.
Reminds me of the Mazda MX5/Miata/Eunos...now there was a fun little car
Old Nov 15th 2011, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

jukes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I drive a Mazda 5. It's a 6 seater.

It's not huge, but has the seats and can get a filing cabinet in the back with the seats down. Does about 30mpg on the highway.

I like the fact it's not a big car. Has the space when I need it, but can park and doesn't cost a fortune to run.

MSRP is less than $20K brand new with full warranty. Could probably get a better price than that at the dealer.

http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mazda5/2012/
Does it have room for a childs pushchair and medium size dog? It sounds interesting as we will need a 6 seater that is not too expensive to buy or insure. How is it on mountain roads, we will be in western north carolina, but driving around Asheville city day to day. Thanks
Old Nov 15th 2011, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
It is marketed as a "Pajero" in Europe and "Montero" in the US.
They named a car "Pajero" in Europe? That means "wanker" in Spanish.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jukes
Does it have room for a childs pushchair and medium size dog? It sounds interesting as we will need a 6 seater that is not too expensive to buy or insure. How is it on mountain roads, we will be in western north carolina, but driving around Asheville city day to day. Thanks
If you need all 6 seats all the time, then it basically has no room in the trunk for a push chair and/or dog. You may be able to get creative to get the push chair in, but the dog probably won't happen. The slight problem is, the third row of seats that pops up basically consumes the entire trunk.

We have 2 kids, so rarely use the third row. So we have a massive trunk most of the time but have the extra seating if needed. But not at the same time...

When I read reviews, they said it's the perfect car 99% of the time... and I'd say that sums it up! For me it's great, but say 5 people want to jump in, I've lost half the trunk.

Pics below illustrate my point:

So long story short, if you need all 6 seats a lot, it may not be the ideal car for you.

The engine is 2.4L and has some reasonable get up and go. It's pretty sporty and has good handling - it's basically a Mazda 3 with a big back end. It's quite a fun car to drive.

The latest has a 5-speed auto, which helps on hills too.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 2:16 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
They named a car "Pajero" in Europe? That means "wanker" in Spanish.
My understanding was that it was named after a feline native to South America.

In the early 90's I traveled to Korea several times and was amused by a Daewoo model called the "Espero." There is the apocryphal tale of when the "Chevy II" was renamed the "Nova" that sales tanked in Latin America. [I understand that Chevy II would be pronounced in English in Spanish speaking countries so it became a very friendly "ChevyTu."] When I started driving, gringos were advised never to put Pemex gasoline from the "Nova" pump into any vehicle sold in the US.

Old Nov 16th 2011, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

jukes is an unknown quantity at this point

We need 5 seats most of the time and 6 seats sometimes. 'We' are myself, husband, 8 year old, 5 year old and soon a baby. No.6 is my mom who doesn't drive and sometimes comes out with us!
thanks
Old Nov 16th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jukes
We need 5 seats most of the time and 6 seats sometimes. 'We' are myself, husband, 8 year old, 5 year old and soon a baby. No.6 is my mom who doesn't drive and sometimes comes out with us!
thanks
So most of the time you'd have half the trunk, which is still quite a lot. Probably worth a test drive - bring the push chair along

Good luck
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I've narrowed it down to a few models that are available on the Autosource program (there are benefits there which I like; a new car is an additional bonus!) - and which we can afford. Some have already been mentioned here:
- Dodge Grand Caravan
- Ford Escape
- Ford Edge (pushing our 30k budget)
Also possible a Nissan Xterra but there is a >3 month waiting period. Town And Country look nice but slightly over budget. Jeep are reasonably priced but ugly AFAIC. Basic finance deal is 20% down and 3 or 5 year options. The price seems to work out slightly cheaper than if going to the manufacturer's own websites and using "build my car". In most cases Autosource can get what you want built but sometimes they only have what they have in stock - like just one Ford Escape left - end of year, winding down that particular model apparently.

Oh, and original requirement for a 6+ seater was actually just a "big car", in particular wife wants to sit up high and look over the top of cars in front (well, a bit higher anyway).
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 8:21 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I guess if you don't like the design of the Jeeps that rules them out. Will say I got a Grand Cherokee from Autosource December 2006 and it is still in my garage. Best vehicle I've ever owned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.