Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

5 Questions on Moving to the US

5 Questions on Moving to the US

Old Aug 27th 2002, 1:08 pm
Juliana L Holm

Default Re: 5 Questions on Moving to the US

Pulaski <[email protected]> wrote:

> 2. I doubt very much that you will get your au-pair a visa. She will need a
    > working visa and she has no special skills that are in short supply in the US,
    > as required to justify a visa.

I just thought of this. As there are Au Pairs in the US, there are clearly ways to
get them there. Depending on whether this is an existing Au Pair or a future Au
Pair, she or he should work with an agency that brings them to the US to get the
paperwork done.

If you are thinking of a future Au Pair, then arrange for one through an agency that
does this in the US (My brother has had a string of Au Pairs from Germany, so I know
that this is available here). One Caveat is that I believe Au Pairs only have the
ability to work in the US for one year. So you need to switch out every year. I
don't know how this works in Europe.

> 4. You will find it difficult, if not impossible to get a mortgage as you have no
    > US credit history. It will be difficult enough to get a credit card.

I think this is not true. If they have a credit history in Britain, then I think
that this can be used as a basis in the US.

> You will also be exposed to price fluctuations if you buy, and despite the economic
    > turmoil prices seem to carry on forever upwards, especially, so I hear, in Florida.
    > If prices come down you may lose a packet.

This is true.

> Finally, you will have to pay the realtor (estate agent)'s fees which are much
    > higher here than in the UK, 6% seems to be normal. So you would have to see
    > prices rise by 1.5% a year just to break even, and that is before legal fees and
    > any other completion costs.

This is also true. Real estate fees are usually paid by the seller. In the first
four years of a traditional 30 year mortgage there is little principal paid, but that
is a real if small issue. As is the type of housing they want and its availability.
Points on a mortgage and some closing costs are tax deductable in the US, as is
interest on a mortgage.

However, as the replier is an ex-pat, he or she may know much better the renting vs.
buying issue.

When my Dad worked and lived several years in England, I know that they rented,
because it was such a hassle to buy.

Another alternative, very off the wall, is to buy a property near the beach that
suits you for four years, then NOT sell it, instead get a good management company
and turn it into a rental property. Depending on where in Floriday, this might
be an idea.

--
Julie
Check out my Traval Pages (non-commercial) at http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm

Old Aug 27th 2002, 3:17 pm
Peter L

"Jon Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Hatunen <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 21:11:58 +0000, john22doe <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>
    > >>1. Can i switch my Uk driving license easily in Florida
    > >
    > >A resident of the UK will find that American drivers licenses are absurdly simple
    > >to get.
    > The main hurdle is likely to be waiting a long time in a ridiculously overcrowded
    > and understaffed state Department of Motor Vehicles office.
    > Here in South Carolina they're trying to fix that with a new computer system, but
    > at least for now (a month after the rollout) it's only made matters worse.

In California you can phone ahead for an appointment. Last time I waited 5 minutes
before they called me to a window, then 10 more minutes to get my license renewed.
    > --
    > Jon Bell <[email protected]> Presbyterian College Dept. of
    > Physics and Computer Science Clinton, South Carolina USA

Old Aug 27th 2002, 3:20 pm
Peter L

"Pulaski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by john22doe:
    > > 1. Can i switch my Uk driving license easily in Florida
    > >
    > > 2. Has anybody taken an au-pair across to the US from Europe
    > >
    > > 3. Where do I educate my 3 year old. She is now in one of the British Schools in
    > > Europe
    > >
    > > 4. Buy or rent (4 year tenure in US) in todays market (Florida)
    > >
    > > 5. And the final puzzle. I have a PAL/NTSC Scart playback TV. Should I bring it
    > > across.
    > 1. You'll have to take a US driving test from scratch. Don't worry, it is
    > embarassingly easy. There will probably be a written test as well as a road
    > test. If you can't get a road test at a convenient time go and book one is
    > Smallsville, as far from a big city as you can find - you should be able to get
    > a test much sooner.
    > 2. I doubt very much that you will get your au-pair a visa. She will need a
    > working visa and she has no special skills that are in short supply in the US,
    > as required to justify a visa.
    > 3. (Pass)
    > 4. You will find it difficult, if not impossible to get a mortgage as you have no
    > US credit history. It will be difficult enough to get a credit card.

That's is definitely not true. They guy has a paying job for 4 years in Florida. He
has a house as a collateral. If he can pay 30% as down payment there won't even be a
credit check. As for getting a credit card, they are giving them away to college
kids who don't even have a job.

> You will also be exposed to price fluctuations if you buy, and despite the economic
    > turmoil prices seem to carry on forever upwards, especially, so I hear, in Florida.
    > If prices come down you may lose a packet.
    > Finally, you will have to pay the realtor (estate agent)'s fees which are much
    > higher here than in the UK, 6% seems to be normal. So you would have to see
    > prices rise by 1.5% a year just to break even, and that is before legal fees and
    > any other completion costs.
    > 5. Both the voltage and the mains frequency is different here, so unless your NTSC
    > compatible TV is a true international one, designed to work on US mains then
    > don't bring it. It is possible to pick up a quite acceptable "disposable" TV
    > for less than $250 in Walmart. My Sanyo 27" cost me $240.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 27th 2002, 7:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter L:
"Pulaski" <[email protected]>

Peter L: .... As for getting a credit card, they are giving them away to college kids who don't even have a job. ...

Pulaski: The relevant factor is "college kids". I too had credit cards thrown at me when I was in college in the UK. Banks do that to capture future lucrative business, but an adult long past usual college age is a credit anomoly and it is very difficult to establish credit as an immigrant. I know, I arrived last year, to work for a bank as an experienced professional with perfect credit in the UK, but it still wasn't easy to get credit here in the US.

==========================

Pulaski: You will find it difficult, if not impossible to get a mortgage as you have no US credit history. It will be difficult enough to get a credit card.

Peter L: That's is definitely not true. They guy has a paying job for 4 years in Florida. He has a house as a collateral. If he can pay 30% as down payment there won't even be a credit check. [/q1]

Pulaski: As most expats who come to the US for a few years hold on to their property in their home country, where is John Doe going to get 30% to make the down payment to get that easy mortgage??? For a decent home in Florida that could easily be $100k or more.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 27th 2002 at 8:05 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2002, 8:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Juliana L Holm:
Pulaski <[email protected]> wrote:

> 4. You will find it difficult, if not impossible to get a mortgage as you have no US credit history. It will be difficult enough to get a credit card.

I think this is not true. If they have a credit history in Britain, then I think that this can be used as a basis in the US. ...

--
Julie
Check out my Traval Pages (non-commercial) at http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm
Sorry, you're wrong, overseas credit histories count for nothing. Even immigrants from Canada find that they have no relevant credit history when they move to the US.
Old Aug 27th 2002, 8:55 pm
Donna Evleth

Default 5 Questions on Moving to the US

Dans l'article <[email protected]>, Juliana L Holm
<[email protected]> a écrit :

> I agreed with Peter until we got here. While Americans don't tend to put kids in
    > school this young, it is by no means a reason they are too young. The best
    > preschools educationally are (arguably) Montesouri schools. Be sure you do
    > significant research on your school as too many American preschools are just
    > glorified baby sitting. Know what your expectations are for the school and talk to
    > the british school to find out what they would cover were they there.

I was surprised by the opinion that Americans don't tend to put kids in school at age
3. When I was a young mother, a large number of mothers I knew, and in those days
they were non-working mothers, put their kids in what was then called "nursery
school" for two to three hours a day. the rationale was that it made a gradual
adjustment to being away from mother during part of the day before "real" school came
along. There was a variety to choose from, also. There were the traditional paid
professional nursery schools, there was Montessori, and there were parent co-op
nursery schools. All of this was back in 1963 in northern California. Our daughter
went to nursery school at this time and loved it.

Donna Evleth

Old Aug 27th 2002, 9:08 pm
Jenn

In article <[email protected]>, "Donna Evleth"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Dans l'article <[email protected]>, Juliana L Holm <[email protected]>
    > a écrit :
    > > I agreed with Peter until we got here. While Americans don't tend to put kids in
    > > school this young, it is by no means a reason they are too young. The best
    > > preschools educationally are (arguably) Montesouri schools. Be sure you do
    > > significant research on your school as too many American preschools are just
    > > glorified baby sitting. Know what your expectations are for the school and talk
    > > to the british school to find out what they would cover were they there.
    > I was surprised by the opinion that Americans don't tend to put kids in school at
    > age 3. When I was a young mother, a large number of mothers I knew, and in those
    > days they were non-working mothers, put their kids in what was then called "nursery
    > school" for two to three hours a day. the rationale was that it made a gradual
    > adjustment to being away from mother during part of the day before "real" school
    > came along. There was a variety to choose from, also. There were the traditional
    > paid professional nursery schools, there was Montessori, and there were parent
    > co-op nursery schools. All of this was back in 1963 in northern California. Our
    > daughter went to nursery school at this time and loved it.
    > Donna Evleth

private nursery schools are common in the US -- public schooling doesn't begin till
age 5 or 6 although children with special needs are entitled to earlier programs.

Old Aug 27th 2002, 11:46 pm
Stanley Horwitz

In article <[email protected]>, john22doe
<[email protected]> wrote:

> 1. Can i switch my Uk driving license easily in Florida

You can look this up yourself at
http://state.us.fl.us/

> 2. Has anybody taken an au-pair across to the US from Europe

Not me.

> 3. Where do I educate my 3 year old. She is now in one of the British Schools in
    > Europe

Public schools are available throughout the United States. See the web site I
previously mentioned for info on this subject.

> 4. Buy or rent (4 year tenure in US) in todays market (Florida)

Not enough information is available. You might want to discuss housing options with
your employer.

> 5. And the final puzzle. I have a PAL/NTSC Scart playback TV. Should I bring it
    > across.

Not enough info. Depends on the cost of the TV vs. shipping it, vs. buying an
inexpensive TV in the states.

Old Aug 27th 2002, 11:55 pm
Peter L

"Stanley Horwitz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
news.com
    > In article <[email protected]>, john22doe
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > 3. Where do I educate my 3 year old. She is now in one of the British Schools in
    > > Europe
    > Public schools are available throughout the United States. See the web site I
    > previously mentioned for info on this subject.

Which public school accepts 3 year olds?

Old Aug 28th 2002, 1:29 am
Sp Cook

john22doe <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > 1. Can i switch my Uk driving license easily in Florida

Driver's liscensing is a state, not federal, mater in the US. Go to Florida's wed
site, www.state.fl.us and find the DMV and they
will explain the system. Most large states now require an appointment to get served,
but you shoud find the test (if they make you take one) painfully simple.
    > 2. Has anybody taken an au-pair across to the US from Europe

Go to www.state.gov for the au-pair visa program.
You probably don't qualify.
    > 3. Where do I educate my 3 year old. She is now in one of the British Schools in
    > Europe

In the US we would call any place you would put a 3 year old "day care" or "play
school". Organized school starts at 5. Unless you are a single parent or a working
couple, day care seems a waste.
    > 4. Buy or rent (4 year tenure in US) in todays market (Florida)

BUY.
    > 5. And the final puzzle. I have a PAL/NTSC Scart playback TV. Should I bring it
    > across.

Don't bring any electronics. Just buy a NTSC TV when you get here. You might want to
get a small dish to access channels like BBC-America, Trio, Fox Sports World, and CBC
Newsworld, which are not found on most cable systems; or an old-fashioned "big dish"
which will permit you to receive many European and British Carribbean signals.

Old Nov 18th 2002, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default house buying

This is my first post to the forum! There appears to be a wealth of experience here. We are trying to move from Sheffield to the Dallas, TX area. I am a US citizen (kids are dual cit. by birth), and husband is English.

Regarding interest on a house, type the word amortization into a search engine and most any one of those links will have a calc that will help you calculate how much interest you might be paying on a mortgage.

All of our computers will work in the US because they have switchable PSU's. Anything that doesn't, or doesn't already run on 110-120 V isnt worth taking unless you know how to make a transformer .
Old Nov 19th 2002, 2:28 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I second Pulaskis comment ref overseas credit not being acceptable - we are going thru that now. My wife is a US citizen with a good credit history (albeit a bit dusty as she's been overseas for quite a while) and I am a UK citizen with good credit in the UK and Far East, but I'm not going ot be working here, and so find I am a total non-entity! I can't even buy a mobile phone as they don't trust me with the 2 year contract. A rather humbling/eye-opening experience, I can tell you...! So the house and car (and phone) are in my wifes name, and I'm busy racking up second credit cards and tkaing store cards that will have me so at least I can start building a history. A freind who is also a mortgage broker has also suggested I take a small home improvement loan for a short period and pay it off early, just to get a start. If anyone else has any ideas on how to build a credit history, I'd love to hear them!
Old Nov 19th 2002, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Marky B will become famous soon enoughMarky B will become famous soon enough

I've already looked into the possibility of a mortagage in the US. If you can put down a sizable deposit of 30%+ you should be ok. A new homes company in ID have looked into this for me. Get in touch with a realtor in the area you are moving to and ask the same question.

I assume that being a home owner would help you get credit as it does in the UK but I'd be interested to know if this is not the case.

Mark

Last edited by Marky B; Nov 19th 2002 at 3:16 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2002, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

IanR is an unknown quantity at this point

A couple of thoughts.

You will have no credit recors in the USA so this will cause a short term nuisance.
On the Real Estate front a decent RE AGent will help you through this and putting down a decent % deposit will help enormously as will a letter from your employers giving details of your salary etc (this is an absolute must). Incidentally once you get your mortgage it will start the ball rolling on your USA credit standing so that's very useful.

Yes cellphone companies will possibly need some talking to. Historically SprintPCS seems to be good on this. You might be asked to put a deposit up[ fron to cover one or two months, it will be held in an sexcrow account and will earn you interest and will likely be repaid after one years good experience.

Yes kids usually start school at 5 either 1/2 a day or a full day dependent upon the system where you live. Schooling before this WILL be at a private "play school". If you get a RE Agent he/she will be of enormous help here as they have full local knowledge of communities and schools etc.
Also the local YMCA probably has an affiliation of some sort with kiddies schools etc and many programs for youg kids.

Re the Tv. Well generally electronic goods are much cheaper in the USA. However, if you think it will be useful to watch a library of tapes/dvds you can use it as it's not difficult to get a "step up and cycle change transformer for a good electronics store". Should cost LESS than $50.00
Old Nov 20th 2002, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

IanR is an unknown quantity at this point

Ooops
I meant, of course, escrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.