Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

3 years wait for Greencard?

3 years wait for Greencard?

Old Aug 11th 2001, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

PriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to all

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me, my brother in law and his wife recently went though a successful AoS interview in New York City; where she was given the I-551 stamp yada yada.

They say she has to wait three years to get a greencard! - has anyone else heard about anything like this?

PriZm.

Old Aug 11th 2001, 11:51 pm
Alvena Ferreira

PriZm wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
The I-551 stamp is a temporary green card....they must be alluding to backlogs in
greencard production. Someone, please tell me that the wait is NOT 3 years!!!! Of
course, the other possibility is that they were trying to inform her that she must be
a resident for 3 years before she is eligible to apply for naturalization...perhaps
that was what they were saying? (marriage-based residents are eligible after 3 years,
employment or other based are 5 years)

Alvena
--
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only.
---
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Jonathan's K-1 pages:
http://pages.prodigy.net/alixtcat/immigrat.htm Doc Steen's Marriage Visa Information
Pages: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Old Aug 12th 2001, 12:37 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

We're in the eleventh month of waiting for the green card after I-551 frpm NYC. So anything is possible. But for us at the time of the I-551 the wait ws 90 days from Vermont .. as usual we fell through a crack in the yellow brick road ;-)

Can imagine what it will be like to remove the conditions from a stamp LOL

Rta
Old Aug 12th 2001, 7:33 am
Paul

I had my GC 4 months after interview (AOS). I guess it depends on issuing center. 3
Years must be a misunderstanding.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 12th 2001, 10:47 pm
Sandy Gonzalez

If she became a permanent resident (as opposed to a conditional permanent resident)
then maybe they meant she has to wait 3 yrs. to apply for citizenship. She should get
her green card within a year. If not, then she has to go back for another stamp in
her passport.

Sandy the newlywed

Old Aug 13th 2001, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Perdue is an unknown quantity at this point

>If she became a permanent resident (as opposed to a
>conditional permanent resident) then maybe they meant she
>has to wait 3 yrs. to apply for citizenship.

Just to clarify, the 3 year waiting period for citizenship applies to ALL permanent residents, whether they are conditional or not.