Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

21 June; Summer Solstice - Sun sets so early here

Wikiposts

21 June; Summer Solstice - Sun sets so early here

Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Molly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud of
Default Re: 21 June; Summer Solstice - Sun sets so early here

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In Northern England on a nice day it is normally light around 3 am and goes dark around 10.30 pm. However in mid-winter on a bad day it is dark until around 8.30 am and dark at 4.00 pm. In NJ in mid-winter it is usually sunny by 7 am and dark at 5 pm.

Another thing I noticed was the length of time it takes to get light and dark here...much quicker than the UK.
Wow! Long day! Where in England are you from? We lived in Manchester, and to tell the truth, I never even noticed that the days were longer, though of course they must have been.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 3:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Malone
Wow! Long day! Where in England are you from? We lived in Manchester, and to tell the truth, I never even noticed that the days were longer, though of course they must have been.
Same area...north of England. I did say on a nice day...if it rain it can make quite a differnce to the daylight hours.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:24 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Malone
Ours isn't bad, I guess we're pretty far north, 43 latitude.
Sunrise 6:04
Sunset 9:21

I was really surprised to read about the longer hours of daylight in England, for the longest time I couldn't figure out why! It didn't dawn on me (ha ha) that your island could be so far north and not be frozen.

Speaking of higher latitudes, can you see the Northern Lights in the UK? Maybe too much light pollution. I saw them once, here in Michigan, faint but they were there. I think if we were any further south we wouldn't be able to see them.
You can from Scotland, and from Rushman's house too apparently, I already invited myself ...
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:08 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: 21 June; Summer Solstice - Sun sets so early here

Originally Posted by Adnams
I dont even know whose playing this year I am so, so, so, out of the loop. That or I am just getting too old!

This is the line-up this year - I think that Friday's line up is the best:

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.u...ce.aspx?id=196

My friend called me yesterday to say that she got an alert from Amex that Amy Winehouse will be playing in Central Park, NYC on 12th Sept.....think I'll be going to that....
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:08 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

My kids would play outside in the Summer in the UK till nearly 10 at night...here you have to be indoors by around 7/8 because of the bugs....it must get dark around half eight...
My mum hates the short days here when she visits...it does feel like your life is shorter....