Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

21 June; Summer Solstice - Sun sets so early here

Wikiposts

21 June; Summer Solstice - Sun sets so early here

Old Jun 21st 2007, 2:49 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy 21 June; Summer Solstice - Sun sets so early here

I was looking at all the revellers at Stonehenge to celebrate Dawn this morning on the Sky news website. The Summer Solstice (longest day of the year) is today and Dawn broke at 4.58am at Stonehenge - and obviously much earlier in Scotland.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/picture_...1565-1,00.html

Sunrise & Sunset Times Map For the UK:

http://www.canterburyweather.co.uk/sun/ukmap.php (look at the times for Scotland today!)

I'm acutely aware of just how far south in latitude we are in the US compared to the UK....I'm in the Northeast in New Jersey and I looked up our daylight hours today on http://www.weather.com

In my area the sun rose at 5.26am......and sadly the sun sets tonight at 8.32pm!

It was the biggest shock for me when I moved to the States on 4th July 2000 and realising how early it gets dark here at the height of the Summer (and I moved here directly from Singapore which is 85 miles north of the equator where it gets light at approx 7am and dark at 7pm (with no twilight) every day of the year.

I'm so sad that after today the nights will begin drawing in again!

As we are all scattered around the US, what daylight hours do you have today - especially those of you down south?
Old Jun 21st 2007, 2:55 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 21 June; Summer Solstice - Sun sets so early here

Sunrise 5:38, sunset 8:36 here.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 2:56 am
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

In my area the sun rose at 5.26am......and sadly the sun sets tonight at 8.32pm!
Here in Utah the sun rose at 5.52am and the sun will set at 9.05pm.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 3:01 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

The sun's been setting around 8 pm here, so it's still light out when I'm trying to get my daughter to settle in bed... rough! Roll on sunset around 6 pm!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
The sun's been setting around 8 pm here, so it's still light out when I'm trying to get my daughter to settle in bed... rough! Roll on sunset around 6 pm!

blackout curtains... they are the best invention ever.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 3:05 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
blackout curtains... they are the best invention ever.
She has blinds and curtains so it's pretty dark, but the kids next door will be yelling and playing until 10 pm. Little sods...
Old Jun 21st 2007, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I was looking at all the revellers at Stonehenge to celebrate Dawn this morning on the Sky news website. The Summer Solstice (longest day of the year) is today and Dawn broke at 4.58am at Stonehenge - and obviously much earlier in Scotland.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/picture_...1565-1,00.html

Sunrise & Sunset Times Map For the UK:

http://www.canterburyweather.co.uk/sun/ukmap.php (look at the times for Scotland today!)

I'm acutely aware of just how far south in latitude we are in the US compared to the UK....I'm in the Northeast in New Jersey and I looked up our daylight hours today on http://www.weather.com

It was the biggest shock for me when I moved to the States on 4th July 2000 and realising how early it gets dark here at the height of the Summer (and I moved here directly from Singapore which is 85 miles north of the equator where it gets light at approx 7am and dark at 7pm (with no twilight) every day of the year.

I'm so sad that after today the nights will begin drawing in again!

As we are all scattered around the US, what daylight hours do you have today - especially those of you down south?

Know what you mean it used to light until gone nine in Blighty. Oh how I remember long summer evenings in beer gardens......
Old Jun 21st 2007, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
She has blinds and curtains so it's pretty dark, but the kids next door will be yelling and playing until 10 pm. Little sods...
ah we battle the noise issues (we lived in LA for 3 years) by playing music ... nothing that would command attention but something mild like ambient/trance stuff.

drowns out the noise whilst becoming background noise itself.

I do the same when I'm working
Old Jun 21st 2007, 4:21 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the light nights. We lived on the West coast of the UK and it was light until 10pm sometimes.

But speaking of the summer solstice...I took my dog to the local woods/park at 6.30 this morning and there was a group of people on the hill, silhouetted against the sun.

I could see they had strange robes on and they started to walk down the hill towards me. I think they were druids, long grey gowns, wooden staffs with glass objects on them. It was like a Gandalf convention.
The women all had medieval peasant style clothes on.

As we passed, we all said " good morning" several times. Well I had to say it more than once because there was more of them than me. No-one batted an eyelid.

It was all so very British.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Pitch black at around 8pm in southern Arizona, so about the same as Utah only Arizona doesn't observe daylight saving time. Ahh for the midsummer evenings when you could play cricket until well past 9 o'clock.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 4:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the long days of summer in blighty, but then I was a southern bumpkin where it would still be light out at 10pm ish or so and get light very early in the morn.

Here, it gets dark rather early-

Sunrise: 5:09 AM

Sunset: 8:25 PM
Old Jun 21st 2007, 4:54 am
Maz

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I miss the light nights. We lived on the West coast of the UK and it was light until 10pm sometimes.

But speaking of the summer solstice...I took my dog to the local woods/park at 6.30 this morning and there was a group of people on the hill, silhouetted against the sun.

I could see they had strange robes on and they started to walk down the hill towards me. I think they were druids, long grey gowns, wooden staffs with glass objects on them. It was like a Gandalf convention.

As we passed, we all said " good morning" several times. Well I had to say it more than once because there was more of them than me. No-one batted an eyelid.

I wish I'd been there!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris

I have some friends at Glastonbury this week. They say its like a mud bath with all the rain they've had..... but still light nights!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
I have some friends at Glastonbury this week. They say its like a mud bath with all the rain they've had..... but still light nights!
Mudbath or not I wish I was there
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nethead
Mudbath or not I wish I was there
Me too, even if I had to wear a pac-a-mac all weekend long

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.