Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2021 Hurricane Season

2021 Hurricane Season

Old Sep 3rd 2021, 12:20 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: 2021 Hurricane Season

Originally Posted by Rete
I've been looking at pictures and reading about my hometown in Westchester County NY and it is heart breaking to see the flooding and hear about the people who have died.
Yeah I had no idea it hit Yonkers and the Bronx so bad, until I saw a picture on the front page of the New York Times, a place in the Bronx about five blocks from where my wife grew up.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

We got stuck in Manhattan when the subway shutdown; ended up walking ourselves back to Queens. Luckily, we didn't encounter anything like the torrents of water all over the news. It was just a looong, sodden walk.

Feeling very lucky right about now
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Jersey City was very wet on Wednesday night - crazy rain. Hoboken always floods but this time was practically totally underwater. Lots of cars destroyed by the rain.

NJ also had another very unusual tornado further South which was crazy. And two houses exploded from gas leaks.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 3:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This is the New York Thruway at the Yonkers/Bronx Exit.

https://scontent.fmem1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...1f&oe=61381338
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! That wasn't expected to be so bad.
Flooding can be so quick and so devastating . Hope all you guys are ok that were in the path of this deluge
Old Sep 4th 2021, 9:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the New York Thruway at the Yonkers/Bronx Exit.

https://scontent.fmem1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...1f&oe=61381338
Yup that’s the picture my wife looked at and said, that’s the Deegan near Stella D’Oro’s. Actually I think Stella D’Oro’s is a few blocks north of there.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 12:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yup that’s the picture my wife looked at and said, that’s the Deegan near Stella D’Oro’s. Actually I think Stella D’Oro’s is a few blocks north of there.
Yup .. Stella D'oro's bakery was located on West 237th Street
Old Sep 5th 2021, 12:18 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Yup .. Stella D'oro's bakery was located on West 237th Street
Back in the 1970s, when we would drive from Boston to the Bronx to visit my MIL at the ancestral homestead, we knew we were nearly there when we could smell those cookies baking. Those days are long gone.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 1:27 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I purposely brought a place outside the NYC hurricane flood evacuation zones, but it looks like the storm drains backed up and the ground floor common area of the building hit a couple of inches of surface water from the street.

Out in CT I followed my new rule of 100ft above current sea level for any purchase, but still got a couple of inches of water in the basement down in FFLD county due to high groundwater. Probably need to have a drain dug in the crawl space, the sump pump I have needs more water before it will activate.

Came up to checkout the lake house in Litchfield county. No basement here so no issues. The lake is however full to bursting…. No beach’s and the docks that are not floating are a couple of feet under water…

Last edited by tht; Sep 5th 2021 at 1:39 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 1:42 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by robin1234
Back in the 1970s, when we would drive from Boston to the Bronx to visit my MIL at the ancestral homestead, we knew we were nearly there when we could smell those cookies baking. Those days are long gone.
I can still remember that smell. There was a big ice skating rink close to the factory and the air was always filled with that heavenly smell.

Originally Posted by tht
I purposely brought a place outside the NYC hurricane flood evacuation zones, but it looks like the storm drains backed up and the ground floor common area of the building hit a couple of inches of surface water from the street.

Out in CT I followed my new rule of 100ft above current sea level for any purchase, but still got a couple of inches of water in the basement down in FFLD county due to high groundwater. Probably need to have a drain dug in the crawl space, the sump pump I have need more water before it will activate.

Came up to checkout the lake house in Litchfield county. No basement here so no issues. The lake is however full to bursting…. No beach’s and the docks that are not floating are a couple of feet under water…
Having been a New Yorker for 68 years, hurricanes were not something we feared in NYC or in the 'burbs. Did we have storms? Yes, of course. Nothing like we have today. The last big one that I remember from before the Sandy, et al, was Gloria. Connecticut isn't much better with the number of rivers and the LI Sound and inaccurate storm drains. My stepdaughter is in Middletown, CT and they lucked out with minimal flooding.

Watch out there's another one heading your way.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 4:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Our turn
Tropical Storm Nicholas turned into a Cat 1 hurricane tonight.
We have had heavy rain bands all day and now we have wild wind as well. Power is our and 1 and 1/2 trees down already.The City sewer system is backed up so no showers or flushing until they find someone to fix it when this is all over.
I was hoping it would be a quiet year for us

Just hope we don't flood
Old Sep 14th 2021, 12:36 pm
Concierge

I was thinking of you all day yesterday. Guess my prayers were fully answered. I know you are prepared for Nicholas being who you are and your experience but still praying that the house remains untouched by flooding and that you are the other half stay safe and dry.

Old Sep 14th 2021, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

Default Re: Hurricane Ida

I was thinking of you all day yesterday. Guess my prayers were fully answered. I know you are prepared for Nicholas being who you are and your experience but still praying that the house remains untouched by flooding and that you are the other half stay safe and dry.
Thanks Rete

We survived without too much damage but this is getting too old! We don't want this anymore.
Decision time for sure.
Old Sep 14th 2021, 7:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2021 Hurricane Season

Ditto. Hope Nicholas by-passes you SM. You have had your fair share of weather damage and it’s the last thing you need at the moment.