2020 census

Old Mar 31st 2020, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2020 census

Hi,

so obviously my family and I as here in the US (NYC) fully legitimately and we see adverts for the census. I understand there are good reasons to do it, like funding and so on.

my question really is, are there any reasons not to do it. Discrimination or other stuff that can come back on you later? I assume US gov already knows lots about us, visas, taxes, etc... so, should be no harm to participate right? Also is it anonymous anyway?

For anyone deliberately not doing it, please can you share your reasons why? Just being a little careful here, don’t want to jeopardise anything, not that I can think of what would be jeopardised, but that’s why I ask to be sure first really.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 8:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 census

I thought it was required by law for those living in the US to complete the census. The questions must be answered fully and truthfully.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

I did it a couple of days ago.
Literally asked me my name and date of birth and that was it I think.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 8:59 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
Hi,

so obviously my family and I as here in the US (NYC) fully legitimately and we see adverts for the census. I understand there are good reasons to do it, like funding and so on.

my question really is, are there any reasons not to do it. Discrimination or other stuff that can come back on you later? I assume US gov already knows lots about us, visas, taxes, etc... so, should be no harm to participate right? Also is it anonymous anyway?

For anyone deliberately not doing it, please can you share your reasons why? Just being a little careful here, don’t want to jeopardise anything, not that I can think of what would be jeopardised, but that’s why I ask to be sure first really.
since its required by law it’s more likely not completing it wound jeopardize things in the future than completing it:
https://2020census.gov/en/am-i-required.html

Federal law provides that anyone who refuses to answer or willfully neglects to answer any of the questions in connection with any census or survey shall be fined a maximum of $100, or a maximum of $500 if the person gives false information.

in addition to names and ages it also asked for ethnicity (but not citizenship):
https://2020census.gov/en/about-questions.html

https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur...ionnaire.pdf?#

If you have a visa I can’t see anything on the form that is not on multiple government databases already.

it is not anonymous, your complete your names and D.O.B and it is tied to your address.

What Happens to Your Answers?

Your personal information is kept confidential. The Census Bureau is bound by federal law to protect your information, and your data is used only for statistical purposes.

Your responses are compiled with information from other homes to produce statistics, which never identify your home or any person in your home. Learn more about how we protect your information.”

Last edited by tht; Mar 31st 2020 at 9:01 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, if it’s legally required then my question is null and void!

thanks for confirming, will get that done ASAP, no question about it.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh I think the confusion comes from, if you are chosen to participate you have to do it.
I don’t think we have been, although we’ve not checked the mail for a couple of weeks so could be in there somewhere.
will do it anyway I think, just wanted to check no downsides.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 9:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I think the confusion comes from, if you are chosen to participate you have to do it.
I don’t think we have been, although we’ve not checked the mail for a couple of weeks so could be in there somewhere.
will do it anyway I think, just wanted to check no downsides.
you must complete the census. You may be chosen to complete the long version. Whatever version, you have no choice but to complete it.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

They make quite a song and dance about how this won't come back to get you, since they really need EVERYONE to complete it, whether legal or not. From here: "There is no citizenship question on the 2020 Census."

Also, everyone else, COMPLETE THE CENSUS. Resources and representation can't be divvied up properly if the population count and distribution are not known.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 11:43 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I got the letter so did it that day, then I got a reminder to do it 2 days later dated before I got the first letter. They didn't ask anything I haven't already told them on my taxes etc so I don't see any reason not to fill it out correctly.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

The only reason not to do it is if you're illiterate or something, then they'll send people to your door.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I have it on good authority that this oppressive data collection is a precursor to mass imprisonment of the civilian population by the communist government.

Old Apr 2nd 2020, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sid nv
I have it on good authority that this oppressive data collection is a precursor to mass imprisonment of the civilian population by the communist government.
sure, I mean that’s a given...

we’ve done it now, it was only the short census and it took minutes. All good. Although pretty sure someone doesn’t know difference between nationality, citizenship and race or ethnicity...
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Please, please, please complete your census form. It could not be easier.

If you don't tens of millions of dollars will be spent on people going out and knocking on doors for weeks to come,

I was a census worker the last time around, and it could not be more sole destroying work - chasing up people who had all sorts of reasons why THEY should not/could not complete their census form.

In the current situation the last thing we need to be doing is wasting money on 'chasing up' ......
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

I’ve done it. I thought there were good reasons to do it and I’m all good with that. However it wasn’t clear to me whether optional or if any downsides for some particular set of circumstances. I’m certain they had all this info anyway so just a formality. I just wanted to double-check, as this was the first time I’ve ever had to complete one.