2018 taxes

Old Apr 2nd 2019, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

retar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2018 taxes

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It wasn't on the IRS website, it was the question asked on the H&R website when I was doing my US tax return.
I swear the guy didn't ask me that. Ok well when I go in to sign I'll make sure to triple check that.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It wasn't on the IRS website, it was the question asked on the H&R website when I was doing my US tax return.
I see, I just checked out the site and see where it asks that. The in store software he was using didn't look like the website though.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 7:13 am
Just Joined

I want to answer this right on my taxes because I was always very careful not to make a single false claim of citizenship when I was a resident... Surely you can't do this post naturalization
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the US tax return asks if you are a citizen anywhere. They'll be glad to take money from anyone. (I could be wrong depending...)

Senior citizen maybe...

If I was using a tax preparer and I was asked that question I would want to know what part of the tax return they think it applies to.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I don't think the US tax return asks if you are a citizen anywhere. They'll be glad to take money from anyone. (I could be wrong depending...)

Senior citizen maybe...

If I was using a tax preparer and I was asked that question I would want to know what part of the tax return they think it applies to.
As Lansbury says in #10 above, there are instances in the tax treaty where being a citizen, or not, affects tax treatment". In my view it is therefore wholly appropriate for a preparer to ask the question.
All the OP needs to do when he returns is make clear that he was not a US citizen at any time during 2018. No big deal.
Old Apr 3rd 2019, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Sure. (Not arguing. Agree, no big deal.) Just adding to my own body of knowledge.

Where in the tax return does it ask if you're a citizen or not? I'm just curious what part.
Especially if you're doing your own taxes, manually or via Turbo Tax for example.

(Although I seem to recall that TT doesn't handle Dual Status so maybe it's limited where citizenship actually becomes an issue. In CA TT has other issues too, you can't file form 568 electronically, only by mail. And, since it's required, by the State, to be filed electronically, you have to seek a waiver to file by mail. It's absolute nuts! )

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 3rd 2019 at 3:15 pm.