Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2 weeks to go...what have a I forgotten

2 weeks to go...what have a I forgotten

Old Aug 22nd 2013, 7:38 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice
Default 2 weeks to go...what have a I forgotten

Ok,

I've got 2. Weeks to go...what do I need to think about?!

Our stuff left 2 weeks ago
Have sorted out rental of uk house plus non resident landlord stuff and permission to let from mortgage co
Have us bank account
Social security card currently being processed
We have a rental contract on a house.
Car from VW will be sorted as soon as i give them that SS number!
Have rented car for first week (from airport)
Taxi booked to take us to airport
Have cancelled unneeded direct debits
Will set up monthly transfer from us to uk account for uk expenses
All ready to give final metre reading to utilities companies
Have cancelled sky etc
Friend is renting our house...she is happy we don't need to redirect mail
Have form to tell HMRC we are leaving/get any tax due back.
Have big file of all important documents, including printing uk credit report
Have started mobile phone application with t mobile (no $500 deposit with e2 visa)
Have full vaccination records for kids, and have started their course of hep b vaccinations to catch them up to us requirement, plus doctor's letter re them having had chicken pox

Have I forgotten anything big?

Thank you
X
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 7:53 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 weeks to go...what have a I forgotten

* Car insurance?
* Health insurance in the USA?

You'll want both from day 1.

* If you keep Sky you might be able to use SkyGo features, if you still feel like watching Sky programming.
* Pack a "day one" bag--things you will need absolutely on the first day. Towels, paper plates, plastic forks/spoons, a pan to cook, plastic cups, paper towels, cleaning stuff, etc. Basically the bag you will open 'first' when you arrive and use to get moving in your new house.

Last edited by penguinsix; Aug 22nd 2013 at 8:19 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 7:58 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

Day 1 bag is a great idea, thanks.

Have medical insurance set up through hubby's work. He is on the US payroll from 1 sept so we can then select which provider we want and will be covered.

Car insurance....VW say they'll help us sort that out when we pick up the car. At recommendations?

Ikea is 10 mins from new home. First job on Sunday (we arrive sat night) is an ikea run for stuff to tide us over!!!
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 9:52 am
Just Joined

bod1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Zez, where are you moving to?

My wife and I are moving to Phoenix towards the end of September (visa approval dependent of course) I have a job already arranged, healthcare for both of us etc all in place the day I get there etc.

I just wondered which form is it that you need for the HMRC?

Also, how have you arranged your SSN already and bank account?

I have previously lived in the USA before and had to arrange these once I had arrived. I was unaware of the fact you could have this sorted prior to leaving the UK?

Also, how easy is it to set up a recurring payment from the US bank account to your UK account?

Cheers for any advice.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Re-direct your mail. The Post Office will re-direct internationally. There is a real danger of others getting your mail and identity theft.

Most of all enjoy the anticipation!
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
Day 1 bag is a great idea, thanks.

Have medical insurance set up through hubby's work. He is on the US payroll from 1 sept so we can then select which provider we want and will be covered.
We flew in on a Sunday around 7pm, but my husband did not go onto payroll until his first working day which was Monday, so we had to take out our own medical insurance to cover us for 24 hours (who knows what can happen in a few hours!).

What time do you arrive on the Saturday - do you have cover between arrival and going onto your husband's insurance?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:25 pm
Zez
Forum Regular

Will look into international redirection...thanks.

Hubby goes on us payroll rather than the uk 7 days before we arrive. If I can't make healthcare choices for. This end before we go I will be getting an inbound policy. Like you say, a lot can happen in a few hours.

We're moving to San Francisco Bay Area.

I'll find that form and let you know x
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

bod1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zez

Thanks Zez.

I used to live in San Francisco, I absolutely loved it. Have you been before? Do you know exactly where you will be living?

Good luck with the move btw!
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:39 pm
Zez
Forum Regular

I've been for all of 3 days but hubby has been 5 times. We'll be in foster city, near San mateo
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Survival food bag. Sweets, canned and packet goods, but no meat products. There are some British foodstuffs available, but few and far between and expensive when you do find them, unless you want to order online, but still expensive.

Target is good for some minor kitchenware, towels, etc as is Bed, Bath and Beyond.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 3:43 pm
Zez
Forum Regular

The form is a p85 but he can only fill it in once he has his uk p45 x
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Weird one, but if you have any internet pages on your ISP's server make sure they are transferred or deleted before you close any ISP accounts. That one caught me out.

Phone/internet for new house?

Cancelled mobile in UK?
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
Will look into international redirection...thanks.

Hubby goes on us payroll rather than the uk 7 days before we arrive. If I can't make healthcare choices for. This end before we go I will be getting an inbound policy. Like you say, a lot can happen in a few hours.

Re healthcare - that's good to know that you'll be covered.

We have taken out international re-direction as I have not yet given our UK banks our US address just yet. I am slightly nervous that they may want to close the accounts once they know we are in the US as they can't be bothered with the reporting requirements. People seem to have different experiences with this happening.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Zez;10863268
Have full vaccination records for kids, and have started their course of hep b vaccinations to catch them up to us requirement, plus doctor's letter re them having had chicken pox
X[/QUOTE]

Have you actually checked they records you've been given? I rather foolishly didn't as we got them just before we moved and I had so many other things going on. I opened my daughter's recently and they did not include the vaccination history which is really annoying as like yourself I had started some of them before we left. They also did not include the letter about her having had chicken pox and as a bonus, I had photocopies of someone else's medical records too It has been an arse trying to sort this out from the US.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 4:47 pm
Zez
Forum Regular

Hartley hare what a disaster! One of m son's Mmr jabs isn't signed....off to get that fixed. Thanks!

International redirection...we've changed anything confidential to Internet only so I think we'll ask our tenants to sort and forward. They are good friends so happy to do!

That'll save me £££

Looking into Internet/tv for new house. Seems its either Comcast which is $$$ or v slow Internet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.