Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Originally Posted by civilservant
Was it a chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear agent? No.
It is a common misconception on the part of some to think that only those things are weapons of mass destruction.

"A weapon of mass destruction (WMD) is a weapon that can kill and bring significant harm to a large number of humans (and other life forms) and/or cause great damage to man-made structures"

Last edited by dakota44; Apr 22nd 2013 at 6:06 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:05 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
It is a common misconception to think that only those things are weapons of mass destruction.
No, it isn't. The United Nations sets a VERY specific definition of WMD. And it's devices of the nature I listed above.

For obvious reasons I'm not conversant in American law, but if it goes beyond that to include any explosive device I don't agree with the definition.

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 22nd 2013 at 6:08 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Was it a chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear agent? No.
The devices would have been much more akin to an old WW2 frag grenade than any of those things.

I get the point but it might be a bit of a stretch to consider that a WMD. I could be wrong, though let's be honest, that hardly ever happens.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:06 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
So the surviving bomber is charged as a criminal suspect, not as an "enemy combatant." Good choice. Be seen to do it right. He won't be free again ever anyway, and I expect they will find a way to execute him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22257451
That doesn't stop him being given the death sentence at a federal level though does it? I thought that would be on the basis of the charge; if it is a charge of using a weapon of mass destruction then I believe the death penalty is in play.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:06 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

A military tribunal was out of the question. "The surviving suspect in last week's Boston Marathon bombings, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, "will not be treated as an enemy combatant" but rather will be prosecuted "through our civilian system of justice," White House spokesman Jay Carney said today. "Under U.S. law, United States citizens cannot be tried in military commissions," he said."

"Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been charged in federal court with use of a weapon of mass destruction and malicious destruction of property resulting in death.

The statutory charges authorize a penalty, upon conviction, of death or imprisonment for life or any term of years, according to a statement from the Department of Justice.
"
You beat me to it, apparently I'm a slow typer!
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

No, it isn't. The United Nations sets a VERY specific definition of WMD. And it's devices of the nature I listed above.

DFor obvious reasons I'm not conversant in American law, but if it goes beyond that I find it weak.
The U.N. does not control the dictionary. Mass destruction has a specific meaning, no matter how you wish to alter it. The term, weapon of mass destruction, existed before the advent of most of the weapons you refer to. I do agree that it has come to be used almost completely in terms of NBC weapons, but that does not change the definition.

Last edited by dakota44; Apr 22nd 2013 at 6:13 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:12 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The dictonary defines the phrase (and it is the phrase as a whole that is relevent) as:

Noun
A chemical, biological, or radioactive weapon capable of causing widespread death and destruction.
This dosen't fit into that definition, weather you want it too or not. I would disagree with the statement of the words existed before the weapons. During the crusades diseased bodies were flung into fortresses during sieges to try to infect and demoralise the inhabitants. They were examples of the first biological weapons. I very much doubt the term existed then. In fact the recorded use of the term was in 1937.

The first use of the term "weapon of mass destruction" on record is by Cosmo Gordon Lang, Archbishop of Canterbury, in 1937 in reference to the aerial bombardment of Guernica, Spain:

Who can think at this present time without a sickening of the heart of the appalling slaughter, the suffering, the manifold misery brought by war to Spain and to China? Who can think without horror of what another widespread war would mean, waged as it would be with all the new weapons of mass destruction?[1]

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 22nd 2013 at 6:15 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Chemicals were involved.

Obviously.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:19 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by Boiler
Chemicals were involved.

Obviously.

Thanks Boiler You knew what I mean!
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The dictonary defines the phrase (and it is the phrase as a whole that is relevent) as:

This dosen't fit into that definition, weather you want it too or not. I would disagree with the statement of the words existed before the weapons. During the crusades diseased bodies were flung into fortresses during sieges to try to infect and demoralise the inhabitants. They were examples of the first biological weapons. I very much doubt the term existed then.
We will simply need to agree to disagree. I cannot change the fact that the term has been co-opted for a specific agenda. However, mass destruction is what it is, no matter what causes it.

Timothy McVeigh was charged and convicted as follows: On August 10, 1995, McVeigh was indicted on 11 federal counts, including conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction, use of a weapon of mass destruction, destruction by explosives and eight counts of first-degree murder. If you do not consider 5000 pounds of ammonium nitrate and nitromethane, and motor-racing fuel a WMD, then you are confused. That weapon killed 168 people, including children, and injured more than 400 others, as well as brought down half a building.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This dosen't fit into that definition, weather you want it too or not. I would disagree with the statement of the words existed before the weapons. During the crusades diseased bodies were flung into fortresses during sieges to try to infect and demoralise the inhabitants. They were examples of the first biological weapons. I very much doubt the term existed then. In fact the recorded use of the term was in 1937.

I am well aware of all of that.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:25 pm
Often not so civil...

Timothy McVeigh was charged and convicted as follows: On August 10, 1995, McVeigh was indicted on 11 federal counts, including conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction, use of a weapon of mass destruction, destruction by explosives and eight counts of first-degree murder. If you do not consider 5000 pounds of ammonium nitrate and nitromethane, and motor-racing fuel a WMD, then you are confused. That weapon killed 168 people, including children, and injured more than 400 others, as well as brought down half a building.
I don't have a problem with that, but this didn't kill 168 people did it? It killed 3. All within a very small area. As said above it's more akin to a hand grenade than something the size of OK City.

Like you said, agree to disagree. If the pattern of previous convictions is to charge people with that crime then so be it, who am I to argue, but I don't consider this device to be a WMD, no.

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 22nd 2013 at 6:29 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't have a problem with that, but this didn't kill 168 people did it? It killed 3. All within a very small area. As said above it's closer to a hand grenades than something the size of OK City.

Like you said, agree to disagree.
It goes more to the intended purpose of the weapon as opposed to the result. I think it is safe to say that they certainly intended to kill more than 3 people.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:31 pm
Often not so civil...

It goes more to the intended purpose of the weapon as opposed to the result. I think it is safe to say that they certainly intended to kill more than 3 people.
That I think we can certainly agree on.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That I think we can certainly agree on.
I certainly agree that there is a standard preconception as to WMD's being as you described, and perhaps it is time to establish a different term so as to avoid confusion. WSD, weapon of significant destruction, might be appropriate. Who knows. I'm just glad it was not worse than it turned out to be, as bad as that was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.