Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2 BritishExpats views of America

2 BritishExpats views of America

Old May 15th 2004, 5:42 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 2 BritishExpats views of America

Originally posted by Pulaski
Yes, but in depth studies of history rarely cover more than a few of the numerous epochs of British history - at high school I studied the Roman occupation, and tribal history that ran up to it, the dark ages, and the Norman conquest.

Though I had the greatest respect for my history teacher, his teaching style was dull as ditch water and I refused to take history at O' level - and in any case the selected epoch for O' level at my school was the Napoleonic wars to WWII, which didn't interest me either. Since I left school I have become much more interested in history.
I guess it varies from school to school. We covered a considerable amount of history, with a reasonable amount of detail. Much of which was probably extracurricular I realize in retrospect. Our teachers tried to actually inspire us to learn, rather than just to pass exams.

I just disliked all the memorization for WWII intensely, turned me right off, and in the "toss up" between geography and history when choosing my options, geography won hands down as a result.
Old May 15th 2004, 1:51 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by veryfunny
You.
In that case, I dunno. I'm inclined to instinctively recoil from the idea of foetuses being harvested for vivisection purposes, but I may feel differently if I had a relative dying of some disease that could possibly be cured through stem cell research.
Old May 15th 2004, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nxylas
In that case, I dunno. I'm inclined to instinctively recoil from the idea of foetuses being harvested for vivisection purposes, but I may feel differently if I had a relative dying of some disease that could possibly be cured through stem cell research.
Typical, speaking out of two sides of your mouth.
Old May 15th 2004, 7:32 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by lairdside
I guess it varies from school to school. We covered a considerable amount of history, with a reasonable amount of detail. Much of which was probably extracurricular I realize in retrospect. Our teachers tried to actually inspire us to learn, rather than just to pass exams.

I just disliked all the memorization for WWII intensely, turned me right off, and in the "toss up" between geography and history when choosing my options, geography won hands down as a result.
I loved History at school and took it right up to A level. Probably should have stuck with it a Uni instead of law. Mind you i arsed up my A level by spending to long on the question on the Irish Home Rule Crisis of the late 19th Century. After writing about 9 pages in the exam i realised i had around 40 mins left for 2 more questions oops! but i was so engrossed in my explanation i just didnt see the clock. Classic exam failure. Ended up with a B instead of my predicted 'A', a great disapointment to my teacher(back when A's were hard to get not like today).

There lots of US History to read and that doesnt include the pre colonisation history of Britain and Ireland. Currently i am reading Niall Fergusons new book 'Colussus' which is a history of American Empire. Its very interesting so far. If you want a good overview of US History try Hugh Brogans 'Penguin History of the United States of America' (he is a lecturer at my old University Essex).
Old May 15th 2004, 8:04 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Duncs
I loved History at school and took it right up to A level. Probably should have stuck with it a Uni instead of law. Mind you i arsed up my A level by spending to long on the question on the Irish Home Rule Crisis of the late 19th Century. After writing about 9 pages in the exam i realised i had around 40 mins left for 2 more questions oops! but i was so engrossed in my explanation i just didnt see the clock. Classic exam failure. Ended up with a B instead of my predicted 'A', a great disapointment to my teacher(back when A's were hard to get not like today).

There lots of US History to read and that doesnt include the pre colonisation history of Britain and Ireland. Currently i am reading Niall Fergusons new book 'Colussus' which is a history of American Empire. Its very interesting so far. If you want a good overview of US History try Hugh Brogans 'Penguin History of the United States of America' (he is a lecturer at my old University Essex).
With a background in history and law have you ever considered becoming a law librarian? One of my nieces-in-law did the qualification after graduating from law school (I think it was some kind of masters) and loves it
Old May 15th 2004, 8:07 pm
Howling at the Moon

Here's a link about it:

http://www.aallnet.org/committee/tfedu/education.html
Old May 15th 2004, 9:46 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Quote 1) "I personally, look at both sides of the argument and not just jump at everything some else believes in."

Quote 2) "Typical, speaking out of two sides of your mouth."
Oh, so obviously it's different when you do it.
Old May 17th 2004, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, so obviously it's different when you do it.
Ask me a question and I will give you a straight answer. Where do I stand on cell stem research? I am for it.
Old May 17th 2004, 1:52 am
Wurzel turned redneck

Ask me a question and I will give you a straight answer. Where do I stand on cell stem research? I am for it.
But presumably you reached that conclusion after weighing up both sides of the argument. I think my answer was pretty straight: against, but acknowledging the complexity of the issue.
Old May 17th 2004, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

But presumably you reached that conclusion after weighing up both sides of the argument. I think my answer was pretty straight: against, but acknowledging the complexity of the issue.
Lets just agree to disagree, no harm no foul.
Old May 17th 2004, 1:59 am
Wurzel turned redneck

Lets just agree to disagree, no harm no foul.
I get the impression that you thought that quote from Kurt Vonnegut represented my views, whereas they don't even represent Vonnegut's (he's far too intelligent to fall into such an asinine way of thinking). If you read it carefully, you will see that he is satirising the idiotic level of what passes for political debate in Bush's deeply divided America. You can read the article it was taken from at:

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0512-13.htm

Last edited by nxylas; May 17th 2004 at 2:02 am.
Old May 17th 2004, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

I get the impression that you thought that quote from Kurt Vonnegut represented my views, whereas they don't even represent Vonnegut's (he's far too intelligent to fall into such an asinine way of thinking). If you read it carefully, you will see that he is satirising the idiotic level of what passes for political debate in Bush's deeply divided America. You can read the article it was taken from at:

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0512-13.htm
You are taking this far too serious, I just wanted your opinion on what a conservative was and stem cell research.
Old May 17th 2004, 2:10 am
Wurzel turned redneck

You are taking this far too serious, I just wanted your opinion on what a conservative was and stem cell research.
Well I have given the latter, but what is a Conservative? In America it seems to be someone who is really, really angry about the fact that there are people who are not exactly like them in every respect.
Old May 17th 2004, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Well I have given the latter, but what is a Conservative? In America it seems to be someone who is really, really angry about the fact that there are people who are not exactly like them in every respect.
lol lol lol that was a funny one. I think both sides need a chill pill.

Jesse Ventura for President!!!!
Old May 17th 2004, 2:18 am
Wurzel turned redneck

lol lol lol that was a funny one. I think both sides need a chill pill.

Jesse Ventura for President!!!!
Did you see tonight's Simpsons ? A hugely outspoken attack on the wave of phoney patriotism currently engulfing America. I loved it, but it was enough to make Rush Limbaugh break out in anal cysts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.