Reload this Page >

2 BritishExpats views of America

2 BritishExpats views of America

Old May 13th 2004, 11:10 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default 2 BritishExpats views of America

Hi all,

My mother and auntie both currently live in the USA. My parents live in New Orleans, LA and my auntie in Dallas, TX. The first excerpt is from her email, and the second from my auntie's reply. Just wonder whether other brit's living in the states hold similar views.

Here is my mum's email, she's been living in the USA for 3 years now.

Was really depressed by the beheading of the young guy in Iraq yesterday…only one year older than James, and evidently a really nice guy, such a ghastly situation….I find Bush and his team such a worry and yet he still is very well supported here by good old middle America. We saw them in all their glory at Bossier City last week, grey haired retires in their peeked baseball hats ,which they wear in a restaurant !!

Am reading a lot trying to get a handle on this culture and their value system but the more I read the more critical I become of the government and the corporations…I just told James on line, that the UK CO’s earn the highest amount in Europe, more than the average employee at 26 times, and the US figure is over 400 times …it is just plain crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am currently reading Michael Moore’s book, ‘Dude where’s my country’ and my neighbour Bill just loaned me ‘Why they hate americans’, which I have still to read……It is very interesting being here at this time, but just makes me so glad that home is Australia. My telegraph also mentioned in a survey in the UK recently 50 % of British would like to live elsewhere too…with crime, housing costs, weather being main issues……and Australia topped their list of preferred places…!!
Here is my Auntie's, shes been living there 34 years now.

I find your observations very interesting. It does seem that you are
starting to think more along my lines than before.

And, you actually live in a more "liberal" city. Dallas is so
rightwing. However, more and more lately liberals are starting to come
"out of the closet" and talk more openly. I am surrounded by attorneys
here who actually lean more to the left than the right which has
surprised me. (To non-Americans) Being left here is probably close to
your right!

I do think though that it's hard to get a real handle on the U.S. living
in the South where political loyalties walk hand in hand with literal
interpretations of the bible. One of the things that I believe
contributes so much to the insular attitudes of Americans is that if you
turn on the television to watch the news - and all you do is watch the
local stations - then you learn absolutely nothing about the rest of the
world, or even, the rest of the country. To call the local stations
newsbroadcasts "News" is preposterous and yet the average man/woman on
the street - this is their sole intake. Lately I have found that lower
class republicans will not watch "CNN" because they deem it too liberal
and will only watch "Fox" which is definitely rightwing. Therefore, if
all they do is watch the handpicked stations and their world becomes
even narrower. They listen to "rightwing" talk radio (Rush Limbaugh
and his like) and believe me those guys are clever than can spin
anything. (I listen to them every night to keep abreast with all the
outrageous stuff they say). I have found that if you start to try to
talk politics with them (the average middle-american) they completely
shut down. They have been taught never to discuss politics and so there
is no reasoning. They won't even express the reasons why they believe
one way or another. Very frustrating.

I have lived here for 34 years now and I will never understand. It is a
very frightening time, and I fear what will happen to us if there are
four more years of Bush and his corporate government. I saw a bumper
sticker the other day that in my mind said it all..

GEORGE BUSH & SONS, INC. (the former United States of America).

I am not a huge fan of Kerry and am hoping and praying that he will pick
a strong vice-presidential candidate because only then can he beat W.
However, a lot of people dislike Bush so much that even independents are
talking of voting "against" Bush rather than for "Kerry." Hopefully
Nader won't get on the ticket because he is the reason that Bush got in
last time.

Sara, of course, living in California sees a whole different side of the
U.S. I told her that I had been given a bumper sticker that said "I
don't have to like Bush to love my country." I liked the sentiment
because it burns me that so many people think that if you are democrat
you are unamerican. However, she asked me not to put it on my car
because she feared for what might happen. And she is right. Of
course, in California such things are open and on everyone's cars!!!!!
What a sad commentary though.

To be honest I wish that I had choices now. Joe would leave this
country in a heartbeat and we are looking into the possibility of
actually retiring in Mexico because the way things are going now I am
not sure that we could afford to stay here.
Interested to hear from Brit's and Americans in response to there views.

James

Last edited by mcjimbo; May 13th 2004 at 11:13 am.
Old May 13th 2004, 1:32 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 2 BritishExpats views of America

Originally posted by mcjimbo

and evidently a really nice guy,

which they wear in a restaurant !!

that the UK CO’s earn the highest amount in Europe, more than the average employee at 26 times,

political loyalties walk hand in hand with literal interpretations of the bible.

and all you do is watch the
local stations - then you learn absolutely nothing about the rest of the
world, or even, the rest of the country.

I have found that if you start to try to
talk politics with them (the average middle-american) they completely
shut down.

I fear what will happen to us if there are
four more years of Bush and his corporate government.

To be honest I wish that I had choices now. Joe would leave this
country in a heartbeat and we are looking into the possibility of
actually retiring in Mexico because the way things are going now I am
not sure that we could afford to stay here.

James
1. can you really tell if someone is nice by looking at their photo?

2. why is wearing hats in restuarants/homes is bad/wrong?

3. europeans are generally under paid, anyway. thats why the CEO earn 26 times the average worker's salary. people should be paid to according how much value they add onto a business. brits on the other hand have perfected living off welfare.

4. dont watch the local news, it is local.

5. its not that they dont want to talk politics, they dont want to argue with you.

6. whether Bush is re-elected or not, the US will continue being right wing. he is just one (person) of them.

7. dont bank on a change of govt will improve your finances. it wont. thats the mentality of what can the govt do for me (hint; welfare). forget it.
Old May 13th 2004, 1:35 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gross50
the US will continue being right wing.
You are so wrong.
That's why the likes of Sean Hannity/Mike Savage continue to be angry.
They have the White House, the Senate, the House of Reps....
Yet they're still angry, because even though they have people like you banging the "USA is a conservative country" In all reality The USA is just as liberal as Canada and Sweden and the UK
I refer you to this post.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...28#post1420828
Old May 13th 2004, 1:42 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by manc1976
You are so wrong.
That's why the likes of Sean Hannity/Mike Savage continue to be angry.
They have the White House, the Senate, the House of Reps....
Yet they're still angry, because even though they have people like you banging the "USA is a conservative country" In all reality The USA is just as liberal as Canada and Sweden and the UK
I refer you to this post.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...28#post1420828
Right firstly, I didn't write those things. As mentioned they come from my mum and auntie. I am moving to America this June, and marrying my American fiancee in July.

My mothers and auntie's views are not my own, I realise they are very one sided and I just wanted to ask, the only other people I know currently living in America what they thought of there views, and living there.

I'm someone who likes to make up my own mind, but I guess I like to know what other people think. Its the reason why I posted this, and i'm glad i'm getting some good responses.

Cheers

James
Old May 13th 2004, 1:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You are so wrong. ....
You might hope so, but I doubt that your hopes will be fulfilled. There may be vocal liberals in some of the big cities - Boston, New York, LA and SF, but in my part of the US there isn't much sign of liberals.
Old May 13th 2004, 1:52 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
You might hope so, but I doubt that your hopes will be fulfilled. There may be vocal liberals in some of the big cities - Boston, New York, LA and SF, but in my part of the US there isn't much sign of liberals.
Yet again though,
Billions of dollars go abroad in Foreign aid.
Rowe v Wade still stands
Universal Healthcare is coming (As I cited, the baby boomers are getting old and about to get cancer. They'll start shouting VERY loudly)
All traits of a liberal country.

As I said, if we are a supposedly right wing country, why is Hannity/OReilly/Limbaugh/Savage so angry still?
because I truly believe they are still in the minority, and they know it. Hence even with them holding the cards right now, they're still angry.
Old May 13th 2004, 2:38 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Pulaski

as opposed to europe, where church attendance is dwiddling, in the US its on the rise.

you have to understand the history of the US, to understand its people. if anyone is finding it hard to understand americans, read the history books.

God bless america! and the queen too.
Old May 13th 2004, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

as opposed to europe, where church attendance is dwiddling, in the US its on the rise.

you have to understand the history of the US, to understand its people. if anyone is finding it hard to understand americans, read the history books.

The very fact that church attendance in the US is on the rise is scary in itself.

As for American history, do they have any? What little they do have I would be ashamed of if I were an American.
Old May 13th 2004, 3:19 pm
@matthewb76

Originally posted by effi
The very fact that church attendance in the US is on the rise is scary in itself.
Being a right winger and a christian is a contradiction.
Old May 13th 2004, 3:45 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Dwiddling ?! Oooh nice... Is this a new way of attracting people to church ? Is there mutual dwiddling ? I want some of that !

It's easy to understand Americans. Once the've had a beer and grabbed their shotgun.

As Effi says they don't have any history so their either nick ours (London bridge, Renaissance festival) or celebrate others (St Pats, etc.)
The history they do have is nothing to really boast about.
Segregation... religious bigotry (*Gross50 waves*)... countless, pointless invasions and wars against other countries...

OK I admit the British Empire has been there and done that. We started all of this. Eventually we did become a civilised society without the need for guns or violence. But unfortunately the U.S of A still want to retain that the right to buy armour pearcing bullets (it's in the constition) and to impose their own laws on the rest of world so they can detain anyone they want to without trial or right to appeal and of course - to torture and humiliate them.

Go on. Tell me I'm un-American now.
("Well duh !")

Last edited by Webbie; May 13th 2004 at 3:48 pm.
Old May 13th 2004, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I have a question for you right wingers. Can you define what you call liberal?

THX.
Old May 13th 2004, 4:07 pm
@matthewb76

Originally posted by veryfunny
I have a question for you right wingers. Can you define what you call liberal?

THX.
On dictionary.com

Openminded, not selfish, not bigotted (should hit a raw nerve Gross50)

People use the word liberal like a dirty word in the USA, when someone calls me a liberal I take it as a compliment as it shows the insulter to be a complete nonce that they are.
Old May 13th 2004, 4:11 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Being a right winger and a christian is a contradiction.
Contradiction or not I work with many people that go to church at least once a week and will not hear a bad word said against Bush. It seems like a southern mentality.

As far as a view of the rest of the country I am still amazed how a society that projects itself as being forward-thinking and pioneering can leave such huge gaps in healthcare and turn a blind eye to the welfare of it's poorest people, in particular children. The difference between the have's and have-not's is incredible and its a very fine line between being one or the other.

It's a culture shock moving to the south if you're a liberal from a country like the UK, it takes some getting used to and I'm not sure if I ever will......
Old May 13th 2004, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

On dictionary.com

Openminded, not selfish, not bigotted (should hit a raw nerve Gross50)

People use the word liberal like a dirty word in the USA, when someone calls me a liberal I take it as a compliment as it shows the insulter to be a complete nonce that they are.
I disagree with your defination.
Old May 13th 2004, 4:18 pm
@matthewb76

Originally posted by veryfunny
I disagree with your defination.
Not my definition
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=liberal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.