Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

1st US Job blues

1st US Job blues

Old May 26th 2006, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st US Job blues

Do you think they treat their employeees like crap because their employees don't know any better and let them get away with it?

I think it is amazing how many of us on this site have told them to jammie their jobs where the sun doesn't shine after a short period of employment. I don't think the americans would do it. Maybe the difference is we know that it is possible for a company to make a profit without treating their staff like shite.
Old May 26th 2006, 7:01 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicky88
I think it is amazing how many of us on this site have told them to jammie their jobs where the sun doesn't shine after a short period of employment. I don't think the americans would do it. Maybe the difference is we know that it is possible for a company to make a profit without treating their staff like shite.
When you guys find companies that give decent holiday time off etc please let us know.... that's the problem, finding such a place to work.

Really speaks volumes that BA would treat its workers so differently between the US and the UK; but then again, US companies treat their overseas workers worse than American workers. I think they do what they feel they can get away with and not what is the most productive environment.
Old May 26th 2006, 7:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think they treat their employeees like crap because their employees don't know any better and let them get away with it?

People stay for the medical, even if it is shite, so people can't afford to be fussy most of the time.

where I interviewed they were talking about 21 paid days...so that would be lovely
Old May 26th 2006, 8:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
People stay for the medical, even if it is shite, so people can't afford to be fussy most of the time.

where I interviewed they were talking about 21 paid days...so that would be lovely
21 days paid hols or paid sick days?
Old May 26th 2006, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I stumbled upon the job I had the interview for yesterday thru an agency. However I just did an internet search using "best company to work for" +"san diego" and all these interesting companies popped up.

Truthfully I believe that you are better off staying away from megacorps if you want the best benefits. Mid-size companies (less than 250 employees) seem to have the money to pay the benefits plus are still small enough to know each of their employees.

I have a second interview next Tuesday and for once I have to say I really hope I get this job. I know they are sincere about the benefits as the current occupant of the job who has been there 10 years told me you do get the comp time. They were proud of their benefits package and went thru the details at the interview, so I know it is what they say it is. I figure with the comp time that should give me 20 days off a year which is better than I have been offered at other positions. They also pay 12 days sick leave.
Old May 26th 2006, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

The other thing I find useful is gut instinct. There have been numerous occasions at an interview when the alarm bells have started ringing that something doesn't add up, and every time my instincts have been correct. Of course, I have stupidly ignored those instincts.

Last temp job I had, they told me to be there at noon for interview then kept me waiting for 45 minutes. That should have told me if they were willing to create such a bad first impression they didn't really care what I thought about them. I foolishly took the job, but within 1 day of employment I knew those first insticts were correct.
Old May 26th 2006, 9:01 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

When I was 16, I went on a job interview (in England) which was advertised as an ‘Administrator’. I knew there was something dodgy about it straight away. First of all, when I asked what my duties would involve, the man came out with all sorts of things, which sounded more like an office dogs body, then an administrator (e.g. - checking boardroom before meetings for pens, paper etc).

He said that he would need to do a background check on me, which I thought he meant checking into my previous employment (I did actually have some!), but he then went on to say that he'd need a copy of my passport to check into the dates I was out of the country & where I was. I mean, wtf?!

I politely left (I got the impression I had got the job!) & then called as soon as I got home to say I was no longer interested in the job. Very strange.
Old May 26th 2006, 9:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
21 days paid hols or paid sick days?
hols...sick was on top...i ain't falling for that game *lol*
Old May 26th 2006, 9:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
hols...sick was on top...i ain't falling for that game *lol*
Sounds good Bob. I'll keep me fingers crossed.
Old May 27th 2006, 7:27 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Vicky88]...........If I get the job, not only is the salary great, but ...2/3 of medicalQUOTE]

Well, if they only pay 2/3 of medical I would be concerned, to say the least.

Imagine having to pay 1/3 of the cost of any major surgery or cancer treatment...

How much is the cost of a heart bypass? Breast cancer surgery + chemo + radiation + aromatose inhibitor therapy for at least 5 years... :scared:

Or 1/3 of the cost of childbirth even...
Old May 27th 2006, 4:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

[QUOTE=Elvira]

Or 1/3 of the cost of childbirth even...
that's around $30K + so a 1/3 of that ain't cheap, and a cracked ankle can cost around $6K apparently because BIL cracked his earlier in the year, was covered with out of state insurance through the mother, but because it was out of state and an emergency, they had to give credit card details first and get reimbursed.
Old May 27th 2006, 5:12 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Vicky,

was the "2/3rds" of medical speaking about the premium per month, or the copayment? I'm thinking it's the premium.

If so you still need to look into deductibles and copayments to see if it's a decent plan.
Old May 27th 2006, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I stumbled upon the job I had the interview for yesterday thru an agency. However I just did an internet search using "best company to work for" +"san diego" and all these interesting companies popped up.
Vicky r u currently based in SD? What kind of work r u looking for? I have a few contacts in science.
Old May 28th 2006, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

That's 2/3's of the premium. Not sure about copay's etc., but whatever it has to be better than having to pay 100% of the premium for myself as we do on my husbands plan at a cost of $400 per month.

Ozzidoc, I am an Accountant. Are you actually in SD yourself and are you an Aussie (as I am)?
Old May 28th 2006, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

That's 2/3's of the premium. Not sure about copay's etc., but whatever it has to be better than having to pay 100% of the premium for myself as we do on my husbands plan at a cost of $400 per month.

Ozzidoc, I am an Accountant. Are you actually in SD yourself and are you an Aussie (as I am)?
Yes-ish and yes..... I've sent u a pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.