Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

1st US Job blues

1st US Job blues

Old May 9th 2006, 4:53 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st US Job blues

Originally Posted by EnglishTeaDuck
Hi!

Ooh, listen to me harping on all deep.......lol......best I go to bed, I think!!!

G'nite!

Ruth

Sorry to hear about all the 'stuff'. I've got lots too, but these forums often help to keep one's mind off things.

Anyway, good night!
Old May 9th 2006, 4:12 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

I really must go to bed, 12.41am....bit nocturnal.....anyhoo....

Yes, English humoUr intact, thankyou......has helped me muchly...lol

I got married here in Sept. 2004, so about a year and a half, just over. My husband is from here (Rhode Island, we live in Mass. though)

I ended up browsing here as feeling a bit more homesick than usual....my best friend is getting married in England this month, and we can't afford to go over, and also a couple of things have happened to friends - one has lost her son suddenly, and another diagnosed with cancer with literally weeks to live....so I'm feeling kind of far away from England, you know? I know its just a hard time, I have a lot of good stuff here.....my husband, new friends, singing in a band.....I kind of think its ok to feel whatever I feel for now, as long as I am living my life and not being a miserable old cow. (Uh, unless I feel like being a mis...oh, you know what I mean!)

Ooh, listen to me harping on all deep.......lol......best I go to bed, I think!!!

G'nite!

Ruth
You've got a great attitude, keep it up!

(Ooo, I'm worth 5 boxes to a newbie, cool!)
Old May 9th 2006, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Final piece of advice from me is not to bother telling them what the issues are, as they will not be able to see it, they are going to put it all down to you being "English" and not really "getting things".

The employment agency who I took my temporary assignment thru, told me all you ever say is "it's not a good fit". So if you can bite your tongue and stick to that it is probably better than letting them know what a bunch of f@cktards they are.
Old May 9th 2006, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicky88
Final piece of advice from me is not to bother telling them what the issues are, as they will not be able to see it, they are going to put it all down to you being "English" and not really "getting things".

The employment agency who I took my temporary assignment thru, told me all you ever say is "it's not a good fit". So if you can bite your tongue and stick to that it is probably better than letting them know what a bunch of f@cktards they are.

Vicky I think you're right. No matter how tempting it is to tell them where to shove the job, its best to politely walk away.
Old May 9th 2006, 8:50 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Very good advice!
Old May 10th 2006, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

yorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to behold

Um... too late, already told them now. I agreed to work a week's notice and expect it is gonna be uncomfortable, but I am still glad I was honest about my reasons for leaving. I don't wanna go in today, but I would feel bad about leaving them in the lurch, apart from my supervisor I did get on well with the others there, so will go anyway and just wear a thick skin for the week. Thanks for everyone's replies, and Tea Duck I loved your posts! If I were you I would be annoyed that my boss expected me to inform him if I was going out on my day off when I wasn't being paid anything for being on call, what you do on your day off is your business!
Old May 10th 2006, 1:01 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

In total agreeement with ya'!
Old May 10th 2006, 2:06 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

.....would you believe someone said to me the other day 'do you have weathermen in England?'
"No, it rains all the time. we don't need them"

alex
Old May 10th 2006, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't feel bad about leaving them in the lurch as their own actions have put them there. You mentioned they were taking their time to find a replacement for the other position, well the way I see it, is they didn't care enough to find someone to help you out, maybe they will now have to pull their finger out or else they are going to be in deep doo-doo.

Life is too short to worry about the wankers of this world, one of which your supervisor obviously is. You gave an appropriate amount of notice given the time you have been in the position, and it does not seem as if they would hesitate to can you in a heartbeat.

There will be better things around the corner. The truth is whilst you were fully occupied doing your current position you were never likely to find that better thing.

Good luck with your hunt.
Old May 10th 2006, 8:22 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkshire_lass
Um... too late, already told them now. I agreed to work a week's notice and expect it is gonna be uncomfortable, but I am still glad I was honest about my reasons for leaving. I don't wanna go in today, but I would feel bad about leaving them in the lurch, apart from my supervisor I did get on well with the others there, so will go anyway and just wear a thick skin for the week. Thanks for everyone's replies, and Tea Duck I loved your posts! If I were you I would be annoyed that my boss expected me to inform him if I was going out on my day off when I wasn't being paid anything for being on call, what you do on your day off is your business!
Good on you! Keep your chin up, we British are hard arses, you can take it!
Old May 10th 2006, 8:24 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkshire_lass

Good on ya girl. I hope you find something that you do enjoy and has a good working environment!
Old May 25th 2006, 5:06 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: 1st US Job blues

I've just resigned from my first ever job in the US this morning.

....and it's such a relief!
Old May 25th 2006, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

good for you!
Old May 25th 2006, 5:18 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

... not worth staying in a job that you don't like.
Old May 25th 2006, 5:23 pm
Renegade who has it made

You go girlie, life is too short, to be stuck in something you really don't enjoy!!!

Last edited by ladygwennie; May 25th 2006 at 6:09 pm. Reason: yo=you :rolleyes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.