Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

1st time homebuyers credit?

1st time homebuyers credit?

Old Jan 6th 2010, 6:26 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st time homebuyers credit?

arrrrrrgggghhhh - Taxes!!!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:02 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
If you purchased the home in 2009, how did you claim it as a tax credit for your 2008 return????? Doesn't matter when you filed the 2008, you can't claim a credit for something in a year that it wasn't purchased in.
You can. They allowed late files through the end of October to claim the credit on 2008 tax returns for homes bought in 2009
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

Is there any minimum residency requirements? Someone mentioned you had to be in the US for 3 years before you could apply for this, but the only guidelines on the IRS site was about not SELLING for three years after you got the credit, else you'd have to pay it back
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:27 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emailrob
Is there any minimum residency requirements? Someone mentioned you had to be in the US for 3 years before you could apply for this, but the only guidelines on the IRS site was about not SELLING for three years after you got the credit, else you'd have to pay it back
it is required you are a USC to get the homebuyers credit... i read it on the govvies site.

you have to have the home for 3 years before selling it or you must pay back.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 4:49 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
it is required you are a USC to get the homebuyers credit... i read it on the govvies site.

you have to have the home for 3 years before selling it or you must pay back.
Well... at least one of you has to be a USC. I'm not, but my OH is and we qualified.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Not true

I am not a U.S. citizen. Can I claim the tax credit?
Maybe. Anyone who is not a nonresident alien (as defined by the IRS), who has not owned a principal residence in the previous three years and who meets the income limits test may claim the tax credit for a qualified home purchase. The IRS provides a definition of “nonresident alien” in IRS Publication 519.
http://www.federalhousingtaxcredit.com/faq1.php

Note: The following taxpayers do not qualify for the first-time homebuyer credit:

A homebuyer (or the homebuyer's spouse) who qualifies for the District of Columbia first-time homebuyer credit in the year of purchase or in any prior year
A homebuyer whose home was financed by the proceeds of tax-exempt mortgage revenue bonds
A homebuyer who is a nonresident alien
A homebuyer who disposes of the residence (or it ceases to be the taxpayer's (and spouse's) principal residence) before the close of a taxable year for which a credit otherwise would be allowable
A homebuyer who acquires their home by gift or inheritance
A homebuyer who acquires their home from a related person
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc611.html
Old Jan 7th 2010, 5:19 pm
Questy Questionson

thank you for the corrections.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for the corrections.
Sorry, looking back, my response was blunter than I intended

I'm married to a yank.

But I know a Chinese couple, both on greencards, who got the tax credit just fine.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:22 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Wow that was nice
I for one am quite happy with M.r Obma and his give aways...I doubt my grandkids will be so enamored. but f'%$# 'em.

New home ($8000)
Insulation ($~1000 or so)
Energy Star Appliance credit for HVAC to be installled (30%=$1500)
Energy Star Appliance credit for new Washer and dryer...($600) hopefully I can fudge a bit and include them as IN does not specifically allow them...yet.

Originally Posted by emailrob
Originally Posted by hobbes79
Sorry, looking back, my response was blunter than I intended

I'm married to a yank.

But I know a Chinese couple, both on greencards, who got the tax credit just fine.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 12:33 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

We closed on our house on 12/29/2008.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chartreuse
We closed on our house on 12/29/2008.
You still get a credit.

It's $7500 and you have to pay it back, but it's $500 a year for 15 years with no interest.

We also bought in 2008. Personally, I'd prefer to have the $7500 in my bank account. I'll worry about the injustice of it all in 2025

Plus, if you sell the house and make a loss in the next 15 years, you don't have to pay it back and the government swallows the loss. It's effectively insurance for a loss of a $7500 magnitude.

If you haven't done so already, I would go back and claim ASAP.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 1:18 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hobbes79
You still get a credit.

It's $7500 and you have to pay it back, but it's $500 a year for 15 years with no interest.

We also bought in 2008. Personally, I'd prefer to have the $7500 in my bank account. I'll worry about the injustice of it all in 2025

Plus, if you sell the house and make a loss in the next 15 years, you don't have to pay it back and the government swallows the loss. It's effectively insurance for a loss of a $7500 magnitude.

If you haven't done so already, I would go back and claim ASAP.
That's a good point. $7500 would pay off most of the truck and 0% is a better rate than 4.99%...

I imagine I'd need to file an amended 1040 along with the 5405, but will call them to check.

Are we sure that folks who previously owned houses in the UK qualify?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Are we sure that folks who previously owned houses in the UK qualify?
Q. Would I be considered a first time homebuyer if I owned a principal residence outside of the United States within the previous three years?

A. Yes. A taxpayer who owned a principal residence outside of the United States within the last three years is not disqualified from taking the credit for a purchase within the United States.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...206291,00.html

Go get your money!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burn1911
arrrrrrgggghhhh - Taxes!!!
I'm not quite at that point yet, but ask me again on April 1!!!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:14 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

There are some whisperings about extending the tax credit out for the entire year...

First bank failure of the year--Horizon Bank, out of Ohio.

The Federal Reserve expects rates to rise 3/4 point as they end their program of purchasing mortgage bonds at the end of March